Californians: be wary when smogging your 996 C4

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Californians: be wary when smogging your 996 C4

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 am

Until 2016, the computers at every smog shop I've used since acquiring my 996 C4 informed the tech that the car should not be run on a dyno since it's AWD. In 2018 and again this year - at two different shops - the tech was not notified that the car was AWD and shouldn't be tested on the emissions dyno. This is not an issue for me since I deleted the front wheel drive components...so I just let them dyno it.

Dynoing a C4 with the FWD stuff still installed will wreck the viscous coupling; if you take your C4 in for emissions testing, be sure to tell the tech that the car is AWD and shouldn't be dynoed.

For those of you not familiar with CA emissions testing: MY2000 or newer cars use newer emissions testing hardware (no dyno required); the old testing equipment is for emissions testing vehicles built from 1976 through 1999. Vehicles older than 1976 are emissions test exempt, although you're _supposed_ to keep any smog hardware intact on older cars as well.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Californians: be wary when smogging your 996 C4

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:39 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 am Until 2016, the computers at the smog shops I've used since acquiring my 996 C4 informed the tech that the car should not be run on a dyno since it's AWD. In 2018 and again this year - at two different shops - the tech was not notified that the car was AWD and shouldn't be tested on the emissions dyno. This is not an issue for me since I deleted the front wheel drive components...so I just let them dyno it.

Dynoing a C4 with the FWD stuff still installed will wreck the viscous coupling; if you take your C4 in for emissions testing, be sure to tell the tech that the car is AWD and shouldn't be dynoed.

For those of you not familiar with CA emissions testing: MY2000 or newer cars use newer emissions testing hardware (no dyno required); the old testing equipment is for emissions testing vehicles built from 1976 through 1999. Vehicles older than 1976 are emissions test exempt, although you're _supposed_ to keep any smog hardware intact on older cars as well.
I'm sure the state would be more than happy to pay the total costs for replacing the coupling that their tech burned up due to ignorance. Right?
Never gonna make you cry...