DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair

Post by TheDeckMan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:45 am

In process of doing my spark plugs I ran into a snag from the last time someone had been in there. Whoever or whatever shop was in there had no business doing spark plugs what so ever. It was clear that they came from VW/Audi experience with trying to use a screw driver to free the plug off the coil. There were tons of scrape marks.

Here are some tricks to do the connectors and part numbers needed in order to fix.

First up was to pick up a support stand to be able to lower the motor to gain a few precious inches of clearance to be able to move the inlet ducts out of the way. Of course the wonderful paint on this support was in all the threads which required some chasing with a tap.

First thing was to disconnect the vacuum line off the inlet pipe and then the secondary air pump fitting

With the extra space you can just reach the fitting to pop it off the inlet pipe way down in the back, granted I did this on a ladder, one handed while half way hanging off the ladder....

Ah yes so much room!

Number 3 Cylinder coil, which I took a picture of the wiring to ensure I wired the coil correctly after replacing the connector.

Out with the old and in with the new. If anyone else runs into the issue attached is the repair part number for the connector. This is the same part number for 996 and 997 turbos.

Then on to tackle #6

Lessons learned with this is that even when something checks out PPI wise, nothing trumps spending some time getting under a cars skirt to check some of the work that has been done by others.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Nice.
Lessons learned with this is that even when something checks out PPI wise, nothing trumps spending some time getting under a cars skirt to check some of the work that has been done by others.
Agreed. It wasn't until I was replacing my starter that I learned my car's previous owner installed a Turbo Mike's (now IPD) plenum. Doubled the value of my 996! :D

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:35 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:18 pm Nice.
Agreed. It wasn't until I was replacing my starter that I learned my car's previous owner installed a Turbo Mike's (now IPD) plenum. Doubled the value of my 996! :D
:shock:

That is always a score when you find mods of value. Regretfully I have only found neglect on this one of prior shops misdeeds. Almost all sorted out, just chasing down why it pulls timing at initial tip in that looks like it could be engine mount related so the RSS mounts are coming out and stocks back in for another log. The Rennline Solids trigger crazy knock sensor timing retardation, the RSS ones look like they dont but I have a theory that there is something up with the design that is causing a ping.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

I haven't had issues with the RSS mounts, and I've been running them for at least 4 years. St. Raby has opined in the past that any stiffer than stock motor mounts can problems...

The modifications were the reason I jumped on this 996 with absolute, reckless abandon. No PPI. I crawled around on the showroom floor and took it for a test drive. Except for the MK2 aero on a 99 - which I like - everything was done as it should have been done.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am I haven't had issues with the RSS mounts, and I've been running them for at least 4 years. St. Raby has opined in the past that any stiffer than stock motor mounts can problems...

The modifications were the reason I jumped on this 996 with absolute, reckless abandon. No PPI. I crawled around on the showroom floor and took it for a test drive. Except for the MK2 aero on a 99 - which I like - everything was done as it should have been done.
Yep it did turn out to be the mounts causing the issues. Swapped the stock ones in and the knock values went away. The 997 does seem to be way more sensitive to noise triggering knock sensors.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC