LN Engr Spin-on oil filter adapter - anyone installed one themselves?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: LN Engr Spin-on oil filter adapter - anyone installed one themselves?

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 pm Thanks much!! 8-)
After the blizzard, right? :shock:
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm

For what it's worth - everything I've done on all of my cars (brakes, swap/rotate wheels, exhaust system swaps, header installs, a billion oil changes give or take, starters (996 and other), water pump, even a supercharger install (NOT on my 996, unfortunately)) have all been done with Rhino ramps and/or jackstands. I have found that laziness is a MUCH larger impediment when it comes to me starting or getting through a project than not having a lift. :D

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Our "blizzard" turned into about 2" of snow. Still cold, though

I've got a couple of ancient Rhino Ramps, but I will have to do some measuring because I think the angle on these is too steep for my lowered 911. Maybe.

I've got a decent low-profile floor jack and some vintage jack stands with the straight pins, not the ratcheting type. When the combination of weather and willpower is right, it'll happen. :)

PS: I actually remembered to order the parts today. So when the weather clears in May, I'll be ready. :mrgreen:
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

JTT

Post by JTT » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 pm thanks. I'll have to see if the floor jack will get it high enough for me, or whether I can parlay that into a good excuse to order in a Quik Jack. ;)
Tell the wife you've been told you absolutely NEED QuickJacks to do this install, without the instal, the sun will not rise the next day and your junk will fall off, so ultimately it's in her best interest ;)

JTT

Post by JTT » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Seriously easy fit. You do need a 26mm deep socket though. Shallow doesn't get a goo enough bite.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:52 am

Well....I think I'm all set for the oil change / filter adapter install. Got a 16 quart drain container, as I knew my current one would not be enough at its 8.5 quart capacity. The filter kit unit arrived from LN Engr last week, and I even was able to procure a 26mm deep socket...BUT....it's a DeWalt impact, and even though my micrometer measures a true 26mm face to face on the inside, the socket has these rounded edges at the corners. When it's on the LN unit, there is a slight bit of play back and forth, likely due to these rounded corners.

Since the adapter requires 18 ft. lb., I wonder if a little play in the socket is too much. ??????????? I'd probably use my old-school Craftsman beam-style torque wrench. Easy does it.

I'll ask LN, but I thought I'd ask here too. I should have just ordered their 26mm socket with the adapter kit. ;)

Thanks.
DeWalt 26mm.jpg
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 am

I already heard back from LN - fantastic customer service from Andy. Since this is a low torque application, I can use my funky DeWalt socket.

Onward.

I have one of their oil sample kits too, so I'm looking forward to a brief oil bath. :)
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am

Einsteiger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 am I already heard back from LN - fantastic customer service from Andy. Since this is a low torque application, I can use my funky DeWalt socket.

Onward.

I have one of their oil sample kits too, so I'm looking forward to a brief oil bath. :)
Word of caution when installing adapter don't screw on by hand while grasping the center threaded part. I did and the threads are sharp. I know stupid, right!?
Never gonna make you cry...

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 am

Good advice. LN's stuff is so precicely machined that a person would not think of taking a little extra care around threaded parts...but you need to. I saw that when I took the adapter out of the bag just to look at it.
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Just for the record: it's in. Easy install and no leaks. :) I think the only way to screw this up would be to over-tighten the unit.
LN adapter-filter Mar2019.jpg
LN adapter-filter Mar2019.jpg (385.44 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
Kevin
Eastern Kansas