Review of Flat6I Focus On M9X Engine Assembly

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Review of Flat6I Focus On M9X Engine Assembly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 am

I have had the opportunity to watch the DVD set from Flat 6 Innovations Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly and have a few comments.

First about me: I am NOT an engine expert especially on the M9X style! I have repaired and done maintenance on my cars over the 53 years of car ownership(Yes I'm an old guy!) In addition, during my 35+ year career with a major railroad I worked in the locomotive maintenance department which, at various times, was either maintenance or complete engine and component overhauls on locomotives up to 4,000hp. So I've been inside a few engines. During my career I was also called on to review training presentations to verify accuracy, content and presentability.

My opinion: The Flat 6 Innovations Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly is a "keeper" for DIY'ers, engine rebuilders, mechanics or just folks who want to know the insides of the engine and how it goes together.

Why do I feel this way?
#1: The quality of the production is outstanding. Recordings both visual and voice are clear with various angles, proper lighting and close-ups when needed. Very professional presentation.
#2: The videos are broken up into segments that correspond with the build process. It is not just hit start and run through the whole build. To me this is valuable because it presents each process as it's own important part of the deal. The small bites let the viewer absorb the information and not be overwhelmed.
#3: Each segment starts with a description of the task(process overview), a part identification discussion and a "tooling required" discussion. In addition, at this time any safety concerns are mentioned up front and repeated during the actual performing of the task.
#4: Actual performance of the task at hand with verbal and visual instructions of how and why again including any safety concerns.
#5: A recap of the process after completed, again, addressing not only the "how" but also the "why" it is important to complete the task as described.
#6: On the more "tricky" processes(bank two piston installation, valve train/camshaft installation and camshaft timing to mention a few) extra time is spent to stress the importance and any possible hazards of these tasks.("If this happens you're going to have a very bad day.")
#7: Throughout the videos there are numerous "silver bullets" shared by Jake learned from his decades long experience with M9X and other "flat" engines. These alone are worth the price of admission.

The above are just some highlights I feel make this a valuable resource. I just wished some of the RR presentations I reviewed had been this detailed, concise, accurate and technically heavy without be boring, but they weren't. Will I ever build one of these engines? No probably not(I'm old)! Could I based on these videos? I think I could.
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Review of Flat6I Focus On M9X Engine Assembly

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Nice review, Billy. Thanks for posting.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39 am

So, could a semi-accomplished DIY hack, assuming the correct tools and parts, handle this job? i.e. is it comprehensive enough that a capable DIYer could realistically tackle the project, or is some engine-building a prerequisite?

I have plenty of time wrenching, but the last engine I completely disassembled and reassembled was a Briggs & Stratton mower engine when I was a kid...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:52 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39 am So, could a semi-accomplished DIY hack, assuming the correct tools and parts, handle this job? i.e. is it comprehensive enough that a capable DIYer could realistically tackle the project, or is some engine-building a prerequisite?

I have plenty of time wrenching, but the last engine I completely disassembled and reassembled was a Briggs & Stratton mower engine when I was a kid...
Of course, I'm biased, but I've followed your technical responses for years and you definitely have the right mindset for this kind of thing Schnelly. With the right tools and replacement parts, and of course the M9X series, you could definitely do it. Heck, you might enjoy it man!

The hardest part, especially for the 5-chain engines, is camshaft timing. Word up, bruh! :D

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am

I have complete confidence in you, Schnelly. I say go for it.

And take videos of your progress. (I want to see those)
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:50 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39 am So, could a semi-accomplished DIY hack, assuming the correct tools and parts, handle this job? i.e. is it comprehensive enough that a capable DIYer could realistically tackle the project, or is some engine-building a prerequisite?

If you can build an battery powered death-bicycle from scratch then yes you could do put an M9X engine back together with assistance from this video.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks for the comments. While my 996 isn't yet in need of a new engine, it's good to know DIY isn't an entirely unreasonable option.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm Thanks for the comments. While my 996 isn't yet in need of a new engine, it's good to know DIY isn't an entirely unreasonable option.
There's a lot of mystery and mystic about our engines, but Jake takes the fear out of the equation. There are process that you need to be very careful and exacting or as Jake puts it "If this happens you are going to have a very bad day"! I've been told and believe that the whole video set was recorded without a script, teleprompter or cue cards. Just Jake standing there with all of this invaluable information from his brain coming out of his mouth. It is beyond impressive. DUDE KNOWS HIS SHIT!

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:30 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm Thanks for the comments. While my 996 isn't yet in need of a new engine, it's good to know DIY isn't an entirely unreasonable option.
There's a lot of mystery and mystic about our engines, but Jake takes the fear out of the equation. There are process that you need to be very careful and exacting or as Jake puts it "If this happens you are going to have a very bad day"! I've been told and believe that the whole video set was recorded without a script, teleprompter or cue cards. Just Jake standing there with all of this invaluable information from his brain coming out of his mouth. It is beyond impressive. DUDE KNOWS HIS SHIT!
He's the real deal, I can attest to that. ;)

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Well, his RL signature is certainly impressive. :D