Honda Type R oil change what I learned today

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Honda Type R oil change what I learned today

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 am

0w-20 oil has the consistency of water whether warm or at ambient temperature. The whole process is a pain in the arse and I think designed that way on purpose. Then again maybe I'm too old to be laying under a car.

The 996 oil change is so much easier. No aero-shield to drop and only need a jack stand or ramps if your oil pan is too high to slip under the engine, that is if you have a significant "wing span."
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Honda Type R oil change what I learned today

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:20 am

Be thankful it actually has a drain plug. Many cars today don't.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:37 am

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:20 am Be thankful it actually has a drain plug. Many cars today don't.
Seriously? Do they "vacuum" out the old oil or what?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:37 am
gnat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:20 am Be thankful it actually has a drain plug. Many cars today don't.
Seriously? Do they "vacuum" out the old oil or what?
Yeap. Even Porsche is doing it. Those bastards want $575+ to change the oil in my P!g, but all they do is suck it out from the top. Thankfully it still has a plug as well, but I heard that the newer models don't have a plug any more. The LR4 I was looking at when I bought the P!g doesn't have a plug (didn't know that at the time though).

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 am

I wonder if that's because an oil drain plug can't be located such that it drains all the oil. Or they are just being big pains in the ass.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 am
I wonder if that's because an oil drain plug can't be located such that it drains all the oil. Or they are just being big pains in the ass.
I don't know. I suppose it could free up some design constraints if you don't have to account for draining from the bottom, but you'd have to instead design for the suction tool being able to get to the lowest point so you can get all the oil out. I'm not convinced I trust them to design it properly though...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am

My guess is it is a way to drive more business to the dealership garage. Of course I'm a paranoid skeptic who doesn't trust most large companies and their design teams.

I'm trying to figure out how they get all the oil out with a vacuum system. Gravity does a pretty good job. This doesn't surprise me though as a lot of them went that way with automatic transmissions a while back.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

I don't know. I suppose it could free up some design constraints if you don't have to account for draining from the bottom, but you'd have to instead design for the suction tool being able to get to the lowest point so you can get all the oil out. I'm not convinced I trust them to design it properly though...
I agree.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am

My guess is it is a way to drive more business to the dealership garage. Of course I'm a paranoid skeptic who doesn't trust most large companies and their design teams.

I'm trying to figure out how they get all the oil out with a vacuum system. Gravity does a pretty good job. This doesn't surprise me though as a lot of them went that way with automatic transmissions a while back.
Or its a mix of both, in that a drain plug can be designed but a suction tool is faster. It takes minimum 40 minutes for the oil to drain out of our flat pan. Efficiency is the Japanese game after all.

What I really don't get is the move away from analog dipsticks. I will never trust an electronic level sender for something so important.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am

Or its a mix of both, in that a drain plug can be designed but a suction tool is faster. It takes minimum 40 minutes for the oil to drain out of our flat pan. Efficiency is the Japanese game after all.

What I really don't get is the move away from analog dipsticks. I will never trust an electronic level sender for something so important.
"...but...but electronics are good...electronics are always accurate...besides even if I knew how to open the hood and it had a stick it's all dirty in there...I don't want to get dirty...Heck I might get my phone dirty next time I FB, Tweet, Tik-Tok, etc..."

SIGH! I have gotten old beyond my years. Back in 2014 on RL(dammit) there was a discussion about stick vs. electronic and I dropped in to say "You wouldn't expect anyone to check the oil with a stick while dressed in their Brook's Bros. three piece suit would you?" And, yes I was being dickish.