So are Volvo SUVs POS?

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: So are Volvo SUVs POS?

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:05 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm Also b3 I wanted this to be its own comment so you see it - you're an awesome dad, dude. Rock on. That's what I aspire to.
Thank you, friend! My wife and girls are my life and priority. I know you can relate because you're a father too. Looking at your picture on RL, I'd say you're also a super dad. Beautiful boy you have! Your wife must think highly of you since she gave you the green light to buy the Porsche. My wife has been super supportive of my Porsche hobby, but when it was time for my oldest to enter college and my youngest turning 16, I knew I had to let my 996 go to the next owner. I'm looking forward to my next Porsche. Now that I'm working with Raby, I know that I can stay connected to the P-community and learn lots about these cars... and as a bonus, make some money too. I know you've been to one of his classes, right? Nothing like watching the master at work, huh? Seeing these engines cracked open and having him explain how all those parts work together in perfect harmony is nothing short of amazing. COVID has slowed things down a bit, but hopefully we'll get back to more production work in the upcoming months.

Cheers!

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm

I'll have to look up that version of the Rav. The neighbor has a newish Rav and the wife thinks it's ugly so...She is attracted to weird SUVs: Nissan Xterra, Land Rovers, Gbox(whew glad I talked her out of that one), Jeep Wrangler(until we rented one in Grand Cayman and she almost fell out of it as she forgot it was three feet in the air) and now the Volvo XC40R. I hate all controls on the screen! Now get off my lawn! :roll:

The brand new look (2020+) for the Rav is an improvement but it is at best a solid 5/10 in the looks department. Maybe a 4...

My comment about the touchscreen interface applies to new Volvo's only. I think maybe 2017-2018+ but I'll let b3 correct me as he is resident Volvo expert.
The newest generation XC60 started with model year 2018. My XC60s are the P3 platform (2010-2017). The newest XC60 has all the same design characteristics of the XC90. The newest generation of XC90 started production in 2015 as model year 2016.

One of the negative from Consumer Reports on the newest Volvos is the complicated touch screen or "infotainment" screen. Those are almost always negatives with consumers. (see picture)
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 8.20.00 AM.png
Volvo's 9-inch touch screen is much better than the other brands, but consumers still complain it's too complicated to operation while driving. I have to agree. I prefer knobs and buttons over touch screen. I like the older style in the P3 platform. (see picture) This image was taking in our 2014 Volvo.
volvoXC60_interior.jpg
volvoXC60_interior.jpg (308.57 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Other than the negatives of the touch screen, the interiors of the newest generation Volvo are superior to anything in it's class. But I'm biased.

My aunt has a new Toyota Rav and its just plain and vanilla. Super cheap plastic interior. Angular exterior design reminiscent of Japan shogun warriors or something. But the Toyotas are very reliable, just not comfortable or nice in the interior. The Volvos are much more expensive, but if you buy them used (like I do), you can get them for a fraction of the new price. Just like Porsches.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 am My aunt has a new Toyota Rav and its just plain and vanilla. Super cheap plastic interior. Angular exterior design reminiscent of Japan shogun warriors or something. But the Toyotas are very reliable, just not comfortable or nice in the interior. The Volvos are much more expensive, but if you buy them used (like I do), you can get them for a fraction of the new price. Just like Porsches.

I agree with you but look up the Prime for a hot second. It's 302 HP with independent electric motors in the rear wheels. I may just be sold on it because my dear wife whom is a greenie asked me for a hybrid/plug-in hybrid to be her next car, and after your last post, I know I need to say no more.

I only mentioned it because billy said his wife presently is in a Rav, but in the spirit of the post she should get a Volvo. I would love a V90R... oddly I'm into coupes and wagons. I just think if I'm going to spend irrational money on a car in the next few years it's going to be a V8. Might be my last chance. Maybe a V12.

I need to log off the internet.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 am I may just be sold on it because my dear wife whom is a greenie asked me for a hybrid/plug-in hybrid to be her next car, and after your last post, I know I need to say no more.
To merge topics, Porsche does have hybrids for the Panny and P!g. I hear the Panny hybrid is pretty hot. The first gen Cayenne Hybrid was rather meh (2015 and older), but the second and third gens (2016+) are supposed to be great improvements (handling, performance, and reduced failures/issues).

Just sayin ;) :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 am

I need to log off the internet.
mwhahahahahaha!!!!