So are Volvo SUVs POS?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Happy Pose

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 pm My daughter striking a happy pose when she got her "new" Volvo XC60...

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.05.17 PM.png
Ok Mr. Volvo I need more info!
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 pm
b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 pm My daughter striking a happy pose when she got her "new" Volvo XC60...

"Happy Pose"??? That looks like the "Ima kick your face off your head!" pose if I ever saw one. How many years in Taekwondo does she have?
Prolly right! She's been watching the Karate Kid series on Netflix - Cobra Kai! hahahaha

here it is...
happypose.jpg
happypose.jpg (414.12 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

oh, btw... Volvos are awesome. Can you tell?

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm

Just let me know what you want to know.... Sales pitches are easy to find.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 pm
"Happy Pose"??? That looks like the "Ima kick your face off your head!" pose if I ever saw one. How many years in Taekwondo does she have?
Prolly right! She's been watching the Karate Kid series on Netflix - Cobra Kai! hahahaha

here it is...

happypose.jpg

She's just celebrating removing that guy's face with one properly placed round kick ala Bruce Lee.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm
When you have time just general impressions of plus's and minus's from your experience. There is no rush as the gc is only 14.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 pm
b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm

here it is...

happypose.jpg

She's just celebrating removing that guy's face with one properly placed round kick ala Bruce Lee.
Ok... here's my opinion ... Reader's Digest version.

The newest Volvos (i.e. post-P3 platform) are still too new to know how reliable they are going to be in the long run, IMHO. The P2 (last generation XC90) and the P3 Platform (S6o and XC60 up until 2017) are the last of the Ford ownership cars. As you know, the Chinese company - Geely bought Volvo cars and quickly started dumping money into R&D. Fortunately, they didn't come in and clean house, but instead reorganized leadership and began work on the most recent generation of Volvo Cars. Seems to be working. Consumer Reports is giving them good reviews.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the most recent 2.0L inline 4-cylinder turbo charged (or twin charged) engine. Not sure about the longevity. I went after the natural aspirating 3.2L 6-cylinder engine from the P3 platform. Those were well-known to last a long time. The newest engine has a timing belt vs. the 6 cylinder has timing chains. Something to keep in mind. But the design and interiors are still up to Volvo quality. The safety aspect is still #1. They added more high strength Boron steel and more safety technology than even my generation of Volvos. Overall, they seem to be good quality Volvo cars that your wife will enjoy.
Last edited by B3DAWG on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:11 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 pm
b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm

When you have time just general impressions of plus's and minus's from your experience. There is no rush as the gc is only 14.

My Volvo dealership has gone out of the way to serve us. When I brought a car in for service, they alway gave us a loaner every time, even after the warranty period. I never had anything major wrong with these cars, but even if minor things weren't just perfect, they wouldn't give me the "it's not covered under warranty" bit, they'd handle it every time.

I must fore warn you... I'm talking about the last generation of Volvo cars. Everything up to 2014 on the XC90 and everything up to 2017 on the S60 and XC60. If you're buying anything else, then the following doesn't apply. haha

The only thing that went wrong with the XC90 was the rubber isolation on the engine mount was deteriorating and caused excessive vibration in the cabin. The car was out of warranty and I had them replace it for around $300?

I replace my own brakes pads, rotors, batteries, tires, etc. If the car is in warranty, Volvo will cover EVERYTHING including wear and tear items like batteries, brakes, belts, etc.

My S60 and the XC60s have been great too. The only problem that I had was the backup camera image was flickering on the display. I contacted Volvo and they explained there was a TSB on it. Basically, the video signal voltage in the coax cable would drop because of the length from the rear to the front of the car. They sold me a factory made inline video booster that was plug and play. Problem solved.

The BLIS (blind side monitoring) can act up in heavy traffic, but common sense would tell you that any computer or machine is possible of malfunctioning when overloaded with information especially in this application. I teach my girls to use good HUMAN situation awareness and don't rely on the nanny technology 100%.

The 360˚parking sensors are super sensitive, better than the Tahoe.

The Volvo Premium audio systems sound overall clearer than the Bose systems in the Tahoe.

The Volvo hands-free phone system is light years better than my Chevy or past BMW

The seats are amazing. You just gotta go try them out. They are more comfortable than any car seat that I've sat in. The ergonomics are superior to anything in their class.

These cars also handle very well partly due to the advanced independent suspension systems. The Tahoe still has the old solid rear axle. Cornering in that vehicle is challenging at times, especially in the mountains.

Braking is amazingly quick, but don't be surprised to get blackened wheels from brake dust. The metals for the rotors are soft and known to wear quick. Stopping distance is the priority, but your wheels will look nasty. Volvo claims they've solved the problem, but we still deal with it.

I could go on and on, but I gotta run... ask me some specifics. Cheers Bill!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: So are Volvo SUVs POS?

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 pm No they're fairly well built and of course safe because that is a pillar of Volvo vehicles. All of the controls are on a touch interface now, so that's something to consider if you're not into that. There are only a few mechanical buttons for mainly emergency functions. We rented an XC60 and it was fine. Nothing really stood out to me that made me think I wanted one but I'm about as far from an SUV guy as you can get. (We had a baby and I asked my wife if my next car could be a 2-door. :lol: ) ((SHE SAID YES! :o ))

My co-worker has an XC90 I'm happy to ask her about but I wouldn't expect technical feedback.

Has your wife seen the new Rav 4 Prime? The only car Toyota makes right now that's faster than it is the 3.0 Supra. The Rav 4 Prime is faster than the 2.0 Supra from a dig. Cool stuff... I'm talking Mrs. Strangelove into one over the normal Rav 4 Hybrid. Our only hangup is availability but I have a hookup in Toyota corporate that has blessed my calling upon him when the time is right.
I'll have to look up that version of the Rav. The neighbor has a newish Rav and the wife thinks it's ugly so...She is attracted to weird SUVs: Nissan Xterra, Land Rovers, Gbox(whew glad I talked her out of that one), Jeep Wrangler(until we rented one in Grand Cayman and she almost fell out of it as she forgot it was three feet in the air) and now the Volvo XC40R. I hate all controls on the screen! Now get off my lawn! :roll:

The brand new look (2020+) for the Rav is an improvement but it is at best a solid 5/10 in the looks department. Maybe a 4...

My comment about the touchscreen interface applies to new Volvo's only. I think maybe 2017-2018+ but I'll let b3 correct me as he is resident Volvo expert.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Also b3 I wanted this to be its own comment so you see it - you're an awesome dad, dude. Rock on. That's what I aspire to.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm Also b3 I wanted this to be its own comment so you see it - you're an awesome dad, dude. Rock on. That's what I aspire to.
Are you kidding? He has to be because the one kid will kick his face off if he isn't! :lol:

Seriously, I agree. He has his priorities straight about the kids. Good on him.