My Galaxy Gear S3 broke my voicemail for the past month or so...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

My Galaxy Gear S3 broke my voicemail for the past month or so...

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 pm

I go through phases with my Galaxy Gear wearable. Sometimes it's the coolest thing ever; sometimes, it's a stupid novelty with a paltry battery life. What can I say, I'm a fickle sumbitch.

Anyway, my AT&T voicemail crapped out about a month ago. My pop and Mrs. S. both complained that after ringing the appropriate number of times, a "this number is not currently accepting calls" recording would play instead of my standard voicemail recording. I logged into VM from both my phone and my AT&T account - no setting to change. I tried resetting the password and recording new greetings; no change.

About this time, I realize that it's been about as long as I've charged my Galaxy Gear watch as it's been since my voicemail quit working. I also recalled that the last time I was wearing the watch, it ran out of battery on the way down the mountain from Big Bear in a no-service area. When the watch is charged and connected to the cellular network, incoming calls are routed to both my phone and my watch. As an aside - it feels both cool and dorky to take a phone call on your watch. 1 part Dick Tracy, one part Maxwell Smart.

Once the watch had enough charge to boot, I started it up - and a few seconds later, the phone disconnected from the watch and my voicemail started working again. I've never had issues with the watch not being charged screwing up my voicemail before, but I generally turn the watch off when I'm not wearing it; I don't think I've run it down while completely out of cellular range in the past.

I recognize that (a) everyone else is smarter than me, and (7) nobody else on the planet is still running both a Galaxy Gear S3 wearable and a Galaxy Note 8 - but writing it up helps me not concentrate on feeling stupid for taking so long to figure this out.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: My Galaxy Gear S3 broke my voicemail for the past month or so...

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:55 am

That's rich. I love the future. /s

I have the soul of a 106 year old and my voicemail greeting is "Hey I don't listen to voicemails so if you say anything after the beep it will never be heard."
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Moving to VOIP phones with web-based voicemail has made deleting voicemail SO much easier than it used to be. None of that "I can't remember if delete is 3 or 7" bullshit from the 90s...I can delete MONTHS' worth of messages from frustrated ADP, Dell, Azure, and GoDaddy sales reps in moments.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:55 am That's rich. I love the future. /s

I have the soul of a 106 year old and my voicemail greeting is "Hey I don't listen to voicemails so if you say anything after the beep it will never be heard."
I'm changing my greeting to something similar STAT!
Now get off my lawn!
Never gonna make you cry...