What's wrong with this picture?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by gnat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:08 pm

iFixIt is a very useful site that tells you how to repair electronic devices that the MFG would rather you not (and give them lots of money for a repair or replacement). They also sell a lot of replacement parts too.

I try to give them some money on parts since their write ups are so good. The wife had a bunch of trouble with their battery for her MacBook Air a couple years ago and now this. Won't be giving them money again n the future.

The Dell itself has been OK for the last 4 years, but no sooner did I decide to downsize a bit and then I got into 3D stuff which taxes it (and the 3D options in Linux leave some things to be desired). So I'm giving up on it entirely and will look for a new laptop with a bigger screen and better graphics card. I swallowed my pride and looked at new MBPs, but spit it back up again when I saw how much prices have gone up since the last time I bought a top of the line Mac...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Finally heard back from Dell support (had to contact them since, contrary to what the BIOS says, they don't sell parts on their website) about a new battery.

They don't sell new batteries for it "right now" (e.g. 4 years is too old and we want you to buy a new laptop). They can offer me a refurb for $81+tax. GFYS Dell...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Due to my profession and the prevailing belief that we can "only work on Macs" (patently false,) I have been a Mac user for the last 15 years. My 2009 iMac is STILL beast-mode and is able to do all of my at-home work. My 2019 iMac Pro - with a price tag akin to a clapped-out 996 - I want to throw out of the window nearly every day. I am so, so, so, so, so glad my company paid for this POS.

Gnat this reminds me of how I want to throw my work iPhone out the window as well when I try to use a poor-man's lightning cable. GO TO THE STORE AND BUY OUR $35 CABLE YOU PEASANT - it screams at me...
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:25 pm Due to my profession and the prevailing belief that we can "only work on Macs" (patently false,) I have been a Mac user for the last 15 years. My 2009 iMac is STILL beast-mode and is able to do all of my at-home work. My 2019 iMac Pro - with a price tag akin to a clapped-out 996 - I want to throw out of the window nearly every day. I am so, so, so, so, so glad my company paid for this POS.

Gnat this reminds me of how I want to throw my work iPhone out the window as well when I try to use a poor-man's lightning cable. GO TO THE STORE AND BUY OUR $35 CABLE YOU PEASANT - it screams at me...
Heh. I had good luck with Amazon cables, but my wife and son have a hell of a time and they also seem to be eating the Apple cables cause they seem to go bad after a few months use. I don't get it. Love my Pixel 3XL though :)

I hear you on the Macs. As hard as they've made it to work on the systems these days I don't see getting another 10 years out of a MBP. And the keyboard on my 2019 MBP I have for work drives me nutty. Luckily it just sits in a corner and I don't have to touch it except to log into the VPN every 2 weeks. It's another one of those things that "never would have happened under Jobs".

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:06 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm Love my Pixel 3XL though :)
I have the regular sized Pixel 3 but I'm with you. It has been a great phone.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:06 pm
gnat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm Love my Pixel 3XL though :)
I have the regular sized Pixel 3 but I'm with you. It has been a great phone.
Yeah. Not a fan of the 4 though. The 5 isn't looking promising either. I thought the rear scanner on my Nexus was weird when I got it, but it's so natural now that I'm annoyed they got rid of it.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Parts-people.com is another essential for anyone keeping old Dell hardware on the road...

Even fuel-cell powered ones.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.