Pee Pee Eye may be getting a little brudder...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Pee Pee Eye may be getting a little brudder...

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:29 am

The first night was rough. Between him being freaked and PPI being wound up to 11, Mrs. S. didn't sleep much. Last night was my turn; we sourced a crate from a local FB group. I spent the night on the couch so he could see me. Ultimately, I didn't get any less sleep than usual, and he was much more relaxed after the first hour or so. This morning, he was reluctant to leave it when I first opened the door...so he seems to consider it safe.

We got up at 5 this AM...took care of some business...and then chilled...I read the news, and he sawed some logs.

20201111_070738.jpg

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 am

Things I've learned - he was chained/leashed full-time. Dogs who have lived on a rope can unwind themselves; dogs who haven't are hopeless. He's like a goddamn Houdini. If it wasn't sad, it would be cool.

He's still afraid of being approached and noises. I haven't raised my hand because I know that won't go well, so it's pointless to test it. People who beat dogs...grr.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 am

Give him time and all the love you can. He will come to understand that he is safe and will change. He is very cute.
5chn3ll wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 am Things I've learned - he was chained/leashed full-time. Dogs who have lived on a rope can unwind themselves; dogs who haven't are hopeless. He's like a goddamn Houdini. If it wasn't sad, it would be cool.

He's still afraid of being approached and noises. I haven't raised my hand because I know that won't go well, so it's pointless to test it. People who beat dogs...grr.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 am

Update: we had a second successful night in the crate. He barks for 15 minutes or so, but then he beds down and sleeps through the night. After dinner yesterday, he went to the crate on his own and took a nap. Progress!

He also doesn't wet the crate (he's wearing wraps now so he doesn't mark), which I think bodes well for housebreaking.

Also, he started chewing his food yesterday instead of swallowing it whole. Every day, he's like a new, less effed-up dog...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

20201112_191812.jpg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:10 am

Pee Pee Eye was that "if I ignore it, it will go away" look :lol:

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:16 am

Welp, there were developments. Indie (N.D. - new dog - temporarily) made amazing progress, but Pee Pee Eye just wasn't up to the challenge of having an exuberant, 40ish pound chonk flying through the house hip-checking him.

My sweet old neighbor 2 doors down has fallen hopelessly in love with him. Her dog died a couple of years back...and he imprints on women. I took him over for a trial overnighter last night to find her handyman reinstalling a doggie door for access to her fenced yard.

This wasn't the end I was hoping for from a selfish perspective - Mrs. S. and I have grown to love the little turd - but it may be the PERFECT situation for the dog and the neighbor. This rolled in at 7:30 last night...

20201115_091745.jpg
20201115_091745.jpg (112.52 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 am

You are a good person. Much better of a person than you let on here. The best choice is not always the easiest, but it is still the best choice.

I hope it works out for all five of you.
5chn3ll wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:16 am Welp, there were developments. Indie (N.D. - new dog - temporarily) made amazing progress, but Pee Pee Eye just wasn't up to the challenge of having an exuberant, 40ish pound chonk flying through the house hip-checking him.

My sweet old neighbor 2 doors down has fallen hopelessly in love with him. Her dog died a couple of years back...and he imprints on women. I took him over for a trial overnighter last night to find her handyman reinstalling a doggie door for access to her fenced yard.

This wasn't the end I was hoping for from a selfish perspective - Mrs. S. and I have grown to love the little turd - but it may be the PERFECT situation for the dog and the neighbor. This rolled in at 7:30 last night...

20201115_091745.jpg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:40 am

Glad he appears to have found a good home, sorry it wasn't with you. This is the biggest reason I've never signed up as a foster even though I'd like to. I'd never be able to let them go...

P.S. Indy (short for Indigo) was the name of our cat that lived to 24 or 25. It was a compromise as the wife would not let me name either the cat or ferret Vermil. Let's see if anyone other than Schnelly can figure out the source (Billy, don't bother :lol: )

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm out...
gnat wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:40 am Glad he appears to have found a good home, sorry it wasn't with you. This is the biggest reason I've never signed up as a foster even though I'd like to. I'd never be able to let them go...

P.S. Indy (short for Indigo) was the name of our cat that lived to 24 or 25. It was a compromise as the wife would not let me name either the cat or ferret Vermil. Let's see if anyone other than Schnelly can figure out the source (Billy, don't bother :lol: )