Ok one more computer question...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Ok one more computer question...

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:48 am

I already know the answer but was wondering what is growing behind the glass on my MacBook Pro Mid 2014.

Background: I have only cleaned the screen when off and cool. Only used microfibre cloths like used on eyewear to clean the screen. Damp wrung out and rolled in a paper towel to remove excess moisture prior to using. The condition began prior to my trying to turn the machine in to a U-boat. The screen/edges did not get wet. It did NOT get worse after that incident. The condition started around the black areas surrounding the screen over the last few years and has progressed across and into to most areas of the viewable screen. When the screen is light up it is essentially invisible.

I read there was a problem with 2013 Macs having some sort of moisture intrusion, but most descriptions of the appearance didn't seem to fit what I see. I suspect the answer is "buy a new one you cheap old SOB!" but I am curious why it did this.

All advice and any smart-ass responses appreciated!
E22B7AFA-DF84-4991-A3DD-699AC402C527.jpeg
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Ok one more question about computers...

Post by theprf » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:02 am

That looks like leakage of the LCD fluid or mold between the layers. Either way it's done for. Get a broken one on ebay & transplant the screen.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Ok one more computer question...

Post by gnat » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am

It's a well known fact that Macs don't react well to wheat dust. Simply being in Nebraska voids the warranty.

Honestly I've never seen anything like that before. I agree with theprf, replace the LCD if you are attached to it. Otherwise it might be time to just let it go.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:10 am

G.D. Apple didn't tell me about the wheat dust when I bought it!
gnat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am It's a well known fact that Macs don't react well to wheat dust. Simply being in Nebraska voids the warranty.

Honestly I've never seen anything like that before. I agree with theprf, replace the LCD if you are attached to it. Otherwise it might be time to just let it go.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:39 am

Yes, that has nothing to do with delamination and everything to do with poor geographic choices made in your past. I swear.

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent a weekend pulling data from a sales laptop that had been marinated with a half-bottle of merlot.
gnat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am It's a well known fact that Macs don't react well to wheat dust. Simply being in Nebraska voids the warranty.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:43 am

MMMmmm the odor of old, stale and half wormed up Merlot.! Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.
5chn3ll wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:39 am Yes, that has nothing to do with delamination and everything to do with poor geographic choices made in your past. I swear.

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent a weekend pulling data from a sales laptop that had been marinated with a half-bottle of merlot.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am

Lots of 13s and 15s available from their refurb store for good (for Apple) prices: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ ... acbook-pro

Still happy with my refurb.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:59 am

Wow! Numerous opportunities. Help me decide. Do I need the 2.4 I7 or would a lesser machine be enough for my meager usage? Why or why not?
gnat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am Lots of 13s and 15s available from their refurb store for good (for Apple) prices: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ ... acbook-pro

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:59 am Wow! Numerous opportunities. Help me decide. Do I need the 2.4 I7 or would a lesser machine be enough for my meager usage? Why or why not?
gnat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am Lots of 13s and 15s available from their refurb store for good (for Apple) prices: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ ... acbook-pro

The first question is what screen size you would be most comfortable with. If you want/need bigger than the 13", then that removes the i5 processor from the equation. I like the size of my 13" Dell and had been looking at the 13" MBP at the time and it was perfect for exactly what I bought it for. It's when my requirements changed a couple years in that I came to not like the 13" display...

Generally speaking my advice is to get as much memory and processor as you can reasonably afford. Even the i5 will be more than capable of the use you have previously described to us. Software is like a goldfish though, it will always grow to consume all the space it has available. So while right now an i5 might be just fine, 4 years from now you might find it significantly slower.

Based on what I know of you and your use I would suggest an i7 with 16GB of RAM. It's definitely overkill, but it should get you to the end of Apple's support for Intel chips and then some.

The only hard limit I would set is that I would not go below 8GB of RAM if they have anything below that. Otherwise, as I said, it comes down to what you want for storage space and what you want to spend.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 am

This is what I have now but I understand the I7 and 16gb and will go with that. I love the 13" version. Does the ghz on the core mean anything significant?
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 11.50.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 11.50.35 AM.png (69.29 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
gnat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:59 am Wow! Numerous opportunities. Help me decide. Do I need the 2.4 I7 or would a lesser machine be enough for my meager usage? Why or why not?
The first question is what screen size you would be most comfortable with. If you want/need bigger than the 13", then that removes the i5 processor from the equation. I like the size of my 13" Dell and had been looking at the 13" MBP at the time and it was perfect for exactly what I bought it for. It's when my requirements changed a couple years in that I came to not like the 13" display...

Generally speaking my advice is to get as much memory and processor as you can reasonably afford. Even the i5 will be more than capable of the use you have previously described to us. Software is like a goldfish though, it will always grow to consume all the space it has available. So while right now an i5 might be just fine, 4 years from now you might find it significantly slower.

Based on what I know of you and your use I would suggest an i7 with 16GB of RAM. It's definitely overkill, but it should get you to the end of Apple's support for Intel chips and then some.

The only hard limit I would set is that I would not go below 8GB of RAM if they have anything below that. Otherwise, as I said, it comes down to what you want for storage space and what you want to spend.