Our new to us Volvo XC40 R-Design...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Our new to us Volvo XC40 R-Design...

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 29, 2021 4:54 am

...has more bells and whistles than any car needs. Of interest to me as I go through the manual and review the online stuff is the Adaptive Cruise and Pilot Assist. On every page talking about these systems there is at the least the following warnings:
Warning
Pilot Assist is not a collision avoidance system. The driver must intervene if the system does not detect a vehicle in front.
Pilot Assist does not brake for people, animals, objects, small vehicles (e.g. cycles and motorcycles), low trailers as well as oncoming, slow or stationary vehicles.
Do not use Pilot Assist in demanding situations, such as in city traffic, at junctions, on slippery surfaces, with a lot of water or slush on the road, in heavy rain/snow, in poor visibility, on winding roads, on slip roads, or with a trailer connected to the car.
Warning
The Pilot Assist function is supplementary driver support intended to facilitate driving and make it safer – it cannot handle all situations in all traffic, weather and road conditions.
The driver is advised to read all sections in the Owner's Manual that relate to this function to learn about factors such as its limitations and what the driver should be aware of before using the system (see the list of links at the end of this article).
Pilot Assist must only be used if there are clear lane lines painted on each side of the lane. All other use involves increased risk of contact with surrounding obstacles that cannot be detected by the function.
Pilot Assist is not a substitute for the driver's attention and judgement. The driver is always responsible for ensuring the car is driven in a safe manner, positioned correctly in the lane, at the appropriate speed, with an appropriate distance to other vehicles, and in accordance with current traffic rules and regulations.
I wonder if Tesla has similar verbiage? Maybe Tesla says "Set Autopilot then sleep, read, play video games or crawl into the backseat..." I bet it doesn't say that. People are just stupid, listen to the hype and don't read the manual.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Our new to us Volvo XC40 R-Design...

Post by gnat » Sat May 29, 2021 6:37 am

Congratulations. You are in the 1% that reads the manual!

Bet your sales person didn't go over all that when selling the feature to you...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Sat May 29, 2021 7:24 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:54 am ...has more bells and whistles than any car needs. Of interest to me as I go through the manual and review the online stuff is the Adaptive Cruise and Pilot Assist. On every page talking about these systems there is at the least the following warnings:
Warning
Pilot Assist is not a collision avoidance system. The driver must intervene if the system does not detect a vehicle in front.
Pilot Assist does not brake for people, animals, objects, small vehicles (e.g. cycles and motorcycles), low trailers as well as oncoming, slow or stationary vehicles.
Do not use Pilot Assist in demanding situations, such as in city traffic, at junctions, on slippery surfaces, with a lot of water or slush on the road, in heavy rain/snow, in poor visibility, on winding roads, on slip roads, or with a trailer connected to the car.
Warning
The Pilot Assist function is supplementary driver support intended to facilitate driving and make it safer – it cannot handle all situations in all traffic, weather and road conditions.
The driver is advised to read all sections in the Owner's Manual that relate to this function to learn about factors such as its limitations and what the driver should be aware of before using the system (see the list of links at the end of this article).
Pilot Assist must only be used if there are clear lane lines painted on each side of the lane. All other use involves increased risk of contact with surrounding obstacles that cannot be detected by the function.
Pilot Assist is not a substitute for the driver's attention and judgement. The driver is always responsible for ensuring the car is driven in a safe manner, positioned correctly in the lane, at the appropriate speed, with an appropriate distance to other vehicles, and in accordance with current traffic rules and regulations.
I wonder if Tesla has similar verbiage? Maybe Tesla says "Set Autopilot then sleep, read, play video games or crawl into the backseat..." I bet it doesn't say that. People are just stupid, listen to the hype and don't read the manual.
Volvo, being the benchmark standard for automotive safety technology, puts a lot of this verbiage in their manuals because they know autonomous technology can risky and can give a false sense of security in real driving situations... this means a liability to Volvo. Like a lot of autonomous safety features (e.g. City Safety) they've come up with, I still don't trust it. I use common sense and drive slow in congested areas and slam on the brakes when a little kid runs out in the road to catch a ball or something. I don't wait for "the machine" to SEE the little kid.

Do kids still play ball in the yards anymore?
Last edited by B3DAWG on Sat May 29, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 29, 2021 8:16 am

Nope! He was too busy trying to convince me that doc fees is how he gets paid(wrong), trying to up-sell extended warranties and other dealer profit generating things.

I have a long history of disliking car sales people. It has been so bad in the past Jeanne doesn't even want to go with me to negotiate a purchase. I have mellowed somewhat...

I have always believed in RTFM especially a car like this because it has so much stuff that can be used, customized, sorted and displayed that if you don't read you could end up not using half of the stuff you paid for! It is a struggle to read the manual because Swedish people write differently than we do when using the English language.
Gratuitous pic
AC885E41-05F9-4508-877E-0B8F8431F5A7.jpeg
gnat wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:37 am Congratulations. You are in the 1% that reads the manual!

Bet your sales person didn't go over all that when selling the feature to you...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 29, 2021 8:22 am

Common sense seems to be lacking in most folks these days and no kids don't play ball in the yard anymore. There's video games for that... :(
b3freak wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:24 am Volvo, being the benchmark standard for automotive safety technology, puts a lot of this verbiage in their manuals because they know autonomous technology can risky and can give a false sense of security in real driving situations... this means a liability to Volvo. Like a lot of autonomous safety features (e.g. City Safety) they've come up with, I still don't trust it. I use common sense and drive slow in a congested area or slam on the brakes when a little kid runs out in the road to catch a ball or something. I don't wait for "the machine" to SEE the little kid.

Do kids still play ball in the yards anymore?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 29, 2021 8:30 am

BTW joined a Volvo XC40 forum(IBA which is same as Rennlist dammit!) to see what people are complaining about. It is a ghost town. Plenty of people looking at your posts but nobody responding to questions or making smart azz comments. BORING!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sat May 29, 2021 10:12 am

Wait, it actually has a paper owner’s manual?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 29, 2021 10:52 am

Why yes...yes it does. However, there at least three versions of a manual online although not extremely user friendly. I can't find in either media a page(s) that shows you a list of pics of the possible warning/indicators with a description. You have to figure out what it might be and sort through that function to see if it displayed. Must be a Swedish thang!

So far I do like the car just wished it had a few more ponies although I haven't driven it too much. Rated at 248hp/5500rpm and 258tor. 1800-4800rpm. It is capable but doesn't "feel" fast/quick even in Dynamic mode. i'm beginning to believe I'm turning into a speed freak as I get older. I might have to breakdown and buy the Volvo Polestar flash which remaps engine response, suspension settings, etc.

I want to say it does 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds but I might be mistaken. Maybe I should just drive it and accept what it is.
FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:12 am Wait, it actually has a paper owner’s manual?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:39 am

Your question valid. It does NOT have a paper owner's manual! It has a "Quick Start Guide and a Supplemental Owners manual" which is sketchy to say the best. Nice catch!
FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:12 am Wait, it actually has a paper owner’s manual?

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:54 am
Warning
Pilot Assist is not a collision avoidance system...........

Warning
The Pilot Assist function is supplementary driver support .......
These should be highlighted and bold.
They are assist systems. To Assist the driver, not to take over completely.
Also, doesn't work in fog and dusty conditions.

I'm a tech for MB, so I get to play with all these systems every day. There are a lot of shortcomings of all the systems.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.