Bad Indy Experience, Advice on Handling

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Bad Indy Experience, Advice on Handling

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 am

I wanted to run this past the car crowd before proceeding.

I had an alternator done on my Benz at the good (or one of the best indy Mercedes shops) in Phoenix last week. I pick up the car, they say all is well. Tech notes that I can use the motor mounts in the future and tires are getting close to needing replacement. I drive the car home, then drive it around on Saturday. All is well.

Yesterday I had some time during the day, so I go to put the new tires on the Benz (I had the new tires sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted). Mount the tires, start driving home.

About 1 block away from my place I start smelling strong coolant odor. Butt immediately starts tightening. As I turn into my community gates, the "Check Coolant" signs comes on the dash board. I coast to my garage for the next 30 seconds and shut the car off. I step outside, and there is a fluid trail behind me, and coolant gushing from the driver's side front. I pop the hood to see where is it coming from, I can't really tell but it seems to be radiator area. I remove one of the intake sleeves and see one of the radiator hose is completely popped out from the radiator (car has the pop in hoses).

I know that in order to get the alternator replaced shop removed the radiator shroud, and to put it in...you had to wiggle it and massage it between the radiator hoses. The hose clamp on the hose that popped off looks a bit bent and deformed compared to the clamp on the other side. I took pictures and texted the shop asking for guidance...their response was "Tow it in tomorrow???".

After plugging the hose in myself and refilling the coolant, car seemed to run fine. I put the heater on and bled the system for about one hour. It seemed fine.

I am still taking the car to the shop on Wednesday to have them check the cooling system and I will ask for them to replace the hose, as it looks like they have damaged it during the installation of the radiator fan shroud.

I've spent close to $4,000 with this shop since I bought the MB, and this was the second time I had a coolant issue after I got the car back. First time they forgot to tighten the radiator drain valve all the way, and it started puking coolant in Flagstaff. This time the hose popped off, and it seemed it popped off because technician didn't push it in all the way after he disturbed it installing the fan.

With that being said, would I be asking too much to ask for a new upper radiator hose since it appears the the clamps on the one I have now are damaged? If I got any other more serious motor damage from the coolant loss, do I have any recourse here? Car came back from their shop on Thursday last week.

Groovzilla

Re: Bad Indy Experience, Advice on Hangling

Post by Groovzilla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

i would let them know how much time you wasted fucking around with their poor workmanship and the least they can do is replace the hose.
i'd also look for another shop - sounds like these guys are KrazyK
2005 997 S - Atlas grey w/Full black leather

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

Pic for reference.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180220-121609.png

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am

If you don't have a pick of the clamp before you dropped it off, it could just as easily have already been damaged and finally failed simply by coincidence.

Asking for a new hose/clamp, I don't think, is unreasonable since it sounds like the work they did could have damaged it and either way they didn't notice that there was a damaged part in the area they were working.

If they balk, however, I wouldn't push it. To me the mark of if they are a shop worth continuing to do business with is their response. If they just suck it up and give you something for your trouble, great. If they argue a bit and possibly don't do anything for you, OK as long as they are professional about it and have a good explanation to go with it. If they try the "well it was probably damaged when it came of" or "you probably damaged it while fixing it", then find a new shop and move on with life.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 pm

This is the second time they have been careless with your car. There is no excuse for not tightening things, or otherwise not noticing that they damaged something. It happens all the time, but there is no excuse for it.

If you still want to continue using this shop, just be very loud in making them aware: be more careful with my car. Ask them what they are going to do about the sloppiness. Remind them for this money, you could have taken it to a dealership.

If the car didn't overheat, I don't think you've done any long term damage to the car, but the coolant system is nothing to fuck with. You've spent a lot of money there, and they've let your car leave their shop with two major issues.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm

How many miles on the car?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm

77k miles.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Well, then, I don't think it is out of line to expect them to replace anything they have damaged. That Benz engine will withstand the short term loss of coolant no problem though.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

In my mind these things are always sort of a progression, starting with the simple request. They could come back and say "Wow, we're really sorry! Bring the car back in and we'll fix it ASAP!" Which would justify their reputation in town. They could play the predictable "Well, how do you know we broke it" game, in which case you remind them that you're a customer based on their reputation and you don't see how a shop with such a stout reputation could return a damaged car to a customer and see if they read between the lines.

Demanding work could solve your issue but damage the relationship in the long run. I tend to try to get my way with honey instead of vinegar so even though a lot of times I've been turned down initially, with polite persistence a few shops have said to me "You know what, you've been cool, come on in and we'll do it just this once."

Big question being - do you need a new hose & clamp, or just a new clamp? Can the hose be reused? I feel like at the very least they should give you a new clamp so that the hose stays on - unless it doesn't work that way...

Bottom line - if they value their reputation they will work with you. Make sure they are constantly aware this is strike two - and you've been cool - but it's strike two.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.