New Hoops

User avatar
KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: 42.6434128, -73.6087274

New Hoops

Post by KoB » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am

Finishing up building a couple new sets of Clydesdale-worthy wheels for the two-wheeled hooptie. In a moment of weakness, I agreed to accompany Mrs. KoB on some easy-ish rail trail/bike path kinda rides. So far I’ve discovered that the engine produces nowhere near enough horsepower or torque, tires quickly, and seems to weigh far too damn much. Mrs. KoB suggests that I take the engine to someplace called “the gym.”

The wheels are Shimano hubs, Sapim spokes, and Velocity or DT Swiss rims. Those of you who know bike stuff will immediately recognize that they’re worth more than the rest of the bike combined. If I survive this foolishness, it’ll be money well spent. The things we do just to keep our wives from killing us in our sleep ...
Attachments
F8005FFE-C5C3-4C32-918C-4F3BB916240F.jpeg
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

User avatar
5chn3ll
Site Admin
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: New Hoops

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 am

I bet I could taco that rim in 30 seconds...
Those of you who know bike stuff will immediately recognize that they’re worth more than the rest of the bike combined.
Since I work near two Kaiser facilities, I often see packs of Kaiser bikers. It cracks me up when I see a guy built like me riding a brand-new $10K road bike...sure, I could spend an extra 8 grand on a bike to shave off 250 grams, but I could also skip donuts for a month and shave off 250 grams for free.

Bikes are like guitars...buy the cheapest one you can stand, find out if you actually enjoy it and/or you're any good at it, and THEN start spending money like a maniac.

User avatar
KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: 42.6434128, -73.6087274

Re: New Hoops

Post by KoB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 pm

5chn3ll wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 am
I bet I could taco that rim in 30 seconds...
Those of you who know bike stuff will immediately recognize that they’re worth more than the rest of the bike combined.
Since I work near two Kaiser facilities, I often see packs of Kaiser bikers. It cracks me up when I see a guy built like me riding a brand-new $10K road bike...sure, I could spend an extra 8 grand on a bike to shave off 250 grams, but I could also skip donuts for a month and shave off 250 grams for free.

Bikes are like guitars...buy the cheapest one you can stand, find out if you actually enjoy it and/or you're any good at it, and THEN start spending money like a maniac.
Anybody can taco a rim if they try hard enough. But that rim is rated for 140 kilos, and the spokes are among the strongest on the market. So at least it’ll take some effort.

The middle-aged, out-of-shape guys on $10k road bikes crack me up ... back in my racing days I used to blow by them on a bike made from other people’s used parts. Then I got hit by a car, which put me on a long bike-riding hiatus.

The current bike is a $300 hybrid — even that’s probably more than I need.
Attachments
56049AC9-F31E-475F-B415-5A7216A724B7.jpeg
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

User avatar
Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: New Hoops

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm

I bought me a Mongoose last year..... The bike shop kind, not wally world one. Tyax Pro from 2016, lime green for $600 new, about 50% off retail. Compared to big box store bikes it is amazing. 20 speed Deore gear hardware, hydraulic brakes, Kendra tires, properly sized frame.... I was in awe when I first rode it. Sadly, I didn't get much mileage on it in the spring....so now it will sit until fall and cooler Temps.

User avatar
KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: 42.6434128, -73.6087274

Re: New Hoops

Post by KoB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Kalashnikov wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm
I bought me a Mongoose last year..... The bike shop kind, not wally world one. Tyax Pro from 2016, lime green for $600 new, about 50% off retail. Compared to big box store bikes it is amazing. 20 speed Deore gear hardware, hydraulic brakes, Kendra tires, properly sized frame.... I was in awe when I first rode it. Sadly, I didn't get much mileage on it in the spring....so now it will sit until fall and cooler Temps.
That’s a nice rig. Great call, buying the stuff that’s a year or two old. Last year’s color, half off MSRP.

Two things people get wrong that you got right:

1) Cycling is like golf or skiing — the equipment has got to fit properly. Otherwise, bad things happen.
2) You spend $600 and ride every now and then, no big deal. You spend six grand, that’s a different story.
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: New Hoops

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 pm

My last bike. Can't ride anymore. Keep falling off. That's BS about never forgetting how... :D
stingray1.jpg

User avatar
FRUNKenstein
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1159
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS
Contact:

Re: New Hoops

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

ShyMiserableIndianskimmer-max-1mb.gif
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4 Guards Red
1987 951 Guards Red

2006 955S Arctic Silver
2006 955S Lapis Blue
Gone but not forgotten: 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: New Hoops

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 pm

kcattorney wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm
ShyMiserableIndianskimmer-max-1mb.gif
Yep kinda! Actually more like this...
giphy-downsized.gif

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: New Hoops

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm

...or this
giphy-11.gif
This looks like it hurts more.

I'm just better with four wheels under me!

User avatar
KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: 42.6434128, -73.6087274

Re: New Hoops

Post by KoB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

32wildbilly wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm just better with four wheels under me!
Most of us are. I’ve been hit by a car while on a bicycle. And hit by a truck while on a Harley. Both times, it really hurt.
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

Post Reply