Civic Type R

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Civic Type R

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:45 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 pm Congrats on place in line. Ironically I bought my 996 from a Honda dealer, previous owner traded it in for a civic hybrid.
That's quite a down grade 996 to hybrid. He/She must have gotten married!
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 am

I used to have a Berlina black AP1 S2000. It was a great, reliable car. What you've heard is correct, it's pretty uneventful until vtec kicks in which was ~6000RPM. The biggest drawback is every civic and integra on the road will think you want to race. :|

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am

sweet victory wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 am I used to have a Berlina black AP1 S2000. It was a great, reliable car. What you've heard is correct, it's pretty uneventful until vtec kicks in which was ~6000RPM. The biggest drawback is every civic and integra on the road will think you want to race. :|
That's fine, in 4 cyl Vtec Hondas the sound and two shifts you do from the stoplight seem impressive... Until you check the speedo and you are just hitting 57mph.

I was 18 and freshman in college when I got a job as a porter in a Honda dealership. It would be an understatement to say that I abused the cars. The remote parking lot and SF city streets were my personal racing academy. The roof of the service building was my skid pad when it rained. And your trade in, was my bitch. I managed to glue a mustang to the roof once... By doing a burnout and leaving it in the same spot 👍.

Every SI, S2000 and 6 speed Accord coupe people bought at that time was personally broken in by me via multiple red line pulls and races against anyone and everyone. I remember driving my manager somewhere in a new SI, I stopped at the light.... Saw a thunderbird SC with a grandpa behind the wheel, I revved at him as a joke....he took the bait to my 😲, I was at idle and wasn't launching the car so his POS Ford was walking my SI until I hit vtec, chirped tires and took him in 2nd. My manager was impressed.

Did you know that when it rains the Odyssey would spin tires through 3rd gear? And I discovered that some customers were rather terrified when I would drive then two miles from one lot to another in the SI while showcasing the vtec and agility of the car... Accord V6 with 6 speed would do 30 foot burnouts after 5k rpm clutch drop, however, the wheel hop was so severe that the first time I did it... I thought I broke something... To make sure it was fine, I did it again and confirmed that it must be the car's fault.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:52 am

^^^Funny. When the kid's new Type R showed up all the Honda mechanics were clustered around it begging the Sales Manager to let them drive it. The answer was not only no but "HELL NO"!
Never gonna make you cry...