gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by gnat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm This is an awesome use of 3D printing. Go IKEA!! 8-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -printers/
https://thisables.com/en/
This is some awesome sh!t! Kudos to IKEA for getting involved in this. What I find significant is that they started out with inviting the end users in to find out what would help. They just didn't depend on some design engineer with a degree in something to design something without direct knowledge. Good job!
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 am

So I haven't looked it up but heard talk on radio about some outfit is TX claiming they can 3D print a concrete house in a week!! Have you guys heard that?? Maybe they could print trump some wall! OPPS! Wrong thread... :lol:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 am So I haven't looked it up but heard talk on radio about some outfit is TX claiming they can 3D print a concrete house in a week!! Have you guys heard that?? Maybe they could print trump some wall! OPPS! Wrong thread... :lol:
Yeah that's actually been around for awhile (don't know if it's the same company). The object was for it to be used in places like Africa to build strong houses cheaply in remote areas or in areas recovering from a disaster.

The last I heard about it, however, it was too dependent on water (which is usually scarce in the target areas) and getting the "printer" into the location was a challenge. The final product didn't exactly look that appealing to live in either.

Hopefully it being back in the news means they fixed some of these issues and is more practical now.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am

Latest work that has been sucking up time on the printer (will be 30ish days when done):
MVIMG_20190401_120904.jpg
MVIMG_20190401_120904.jpg (371.64 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
MVIMG_20190401_120935.jpg
MVIMG_20190401_120935.jpg (371.81 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
My oldest saw it prior to me having the printer and wanted one. The final product will look something like this (though the green plates will be black):

For reference it is sitting on a 1/4 full roll of 3" painter's take and that's an iPhone 7+ just behind it. This bastard is massive and stupid me ran it at a 0.05mm layer height.

The original model had no room for electronics. Someone else modified it in post production to do it, but I opted for modifying the original models themselves. I also sanded the LEDs and covered them with Natural PLA covers to help tone down the intensity and diffuse the light better.

Unfortunately I clearly need to take the printer down for maintenance and re-calibration as there is a bunch of ghosting and I've had a raft of other printing issues too :(

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 am

gnat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am Latest work that has been sucking up time on the printer (will be 30ish days when done):

My oldest saw it prior to me having the printer and wanted one. The final product will look something like this (though the green plates will be black):

For reference it is sitting on a 1/4 full roll of 3" painter's take and that's an iPhone 7+ just behind it. This bastard is massive and stupid me ran it at a 0.05mm layer height.

The original model had no room for electronics. Someone else modified it in post production to do it, but I opted for modifying the original models themselves. I also sanded the LEDs and covered them with Natural PLA covers to help tone down the intensity and diffuse the light better.

Unfortunately I clearly need to take the printer down for maintenance and re-calibration as there is a bunch of ghosting and I've had a raft of other printing issues too :(
That is Cool! 30 days on a printer. How do you wait so long? You are a patient person.

I gotta ask where do you buy one of those "heat melter things" that the dude in the vid mentions. Must be a 3D printer technical finishing tool thing! :roll:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:27 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 am
gnat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am Latest work that has been sucking up time on the printer (will be 30ish days when done):

That is Cool! 30 days on a printer. How do you wait so long? You are a patient person.
It's painful. Just the top bun alone took 3 days and 10 hours. The Tomato + Fry box took 3 days and 22 hours. The Cheese and Fries took another 3 days and 11 hours. The lower bun wasn't too shabby at almost 2 days either. The rest has been mostly in the 1 day area.

The really annoying part is all the issues I've had that have forced me to re-print and other annoyances. For example I've never had issues with my filament sensor, but about 1.5 days into the cheese/fries print it decided to freak out at decide there was no filament at random intervals. So in one case it stopped 3 minutes after my last check before bed and thus wasted all that time while I was asleep. Additionally to get the top layers to look consistent across parts in meant putting some parts in odd positions that had lots of issues where prints kept failing hours in and it took a few iterations to get stuff to print.

Of course in the meantime I've come up with some other stuff to print, but then I have to wait for a print to finish before I can sneak it in. I ran a 12 hours print between the 2 buns only to find out after starting the top bun that I missed a part and then had to wait 3.5ish days before I could print the missing parts :roll:

This print has taught me 2 things for when it comes time to print Voltron 2.0:

1) I'm getting a second printer (should have bought that Ultimaker 3+ I saw go for $1200 at a local auction :x).
2) It will have dual extruders so I can print PVA support material (dissolves in water).

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Schnelly, you used Drylin self lubricating "bearings" on your printer yet?

Got a set since A) the greased bearings are messy and I don't want to have to keep repacking them and B) I needed to tear the printer down for some upgrades.

Haven't run a print yet as I still have a lot of work to do still, but damn these things slide so much lighter. Before hooking up the belt I could literally blow my Y carriage back and forth!

Burger update:
Spent two weeks fighting a jam issue on the last two prints. This led to a bunch of planned upgrades (most will not happen now, see below), but it appears that the "premium" filament is just shit compared to the cheap and "crappy" (seriously not!) Amazon filament.

Color matching seems to be impractical (I'm sure I could, but I'd waste a ton of money and end up with a bunch of spools I don't have space for) so I'll have to reprint all the silver bits for the arms and legs. Unfortunately the silver I got to replace the last crap was even worse in different ways. Pretty frustrated and bummed at the moment as I'm now back to ~100 hours of printing.

Of course in the middle of this Prusa has finally gotten off their ass and started shipping MMUs and mine came Friday. I have been on the fence and almost canceled the order a few times as it is not a simple thing.

Of course being a geek with OCD I couldn't let a box full of parts sit unassembled, so now I have disassembled a perfectly good printer...

Other than the issues inherant with the MMU, it also isn't compatible with the big upgrades I was planning that would have made jams less likely.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 am

Annnnnnd the kit is missing a part which I now have to wait to ship from Prague and it will not go out until Tuesday. In the meantime I have a disassembled printer and desk (that I need for work tomorrow) covered in parts. :roll:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:09 pm

gnat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 am Annnnnnd the kit is missing a part which I now have to wait to ship from Prague and it will not go out until Tuesday. In the meantime I have a disassembled printer and desk (that I need for work tomorrow) covered in parts. :roll:
Three questions:
#1: What mean MMU?
#2: Prague as in Czechoslovakia?
#3: 100 print hours to reprint just the silver?

One comment: Move work up to the kitchen table until the part shows up. :o