Anyone know much about 3d printers?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by gnat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:29 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am
gnat wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm Hey Schnelly. Look at at that clean plate and lack of rafts with 3x47mm foot prints!

Jelly? :mrgreen:
MVIMG_20190623_011124.jpg
What it is? Sliding top box?
Just a proof of concept to test sizing and function for some enclosures I'm working on.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:31 am

gnat wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:29 am
32wildbilly wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am

What it is? Sliding top box?
Just a proof of concept to test sizing and function for some enclosures I'm working on.
Looks nice and clean.
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am

Had to move my printer out of my office last week. Air quality hygienist told me new studys are coming out where nano particles being released into the air could have similar health effects as asbestos. It still sounds more like it's being treated as a potential risk, as there isn't enough data/studys being done. Sauce: https: https://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/sem ... ose-a-risk

Not sure if I can filter these particles through a cigarette, so I will err on the side of caution.
Last edited by sweet victory on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 am

sweet victory wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am Had to move my printer out of my office last week. Air quality hygienist told me new studys are coming out where nano particles being released into the air could have similar health effects as asbestos. It still sounds more like it's being treated as a potential risk, as there isn't enough data/studys being done. Sauce: https: https://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/sem ... ose-a-risk

Not sure if I can filter these particles through a cigarette, so I will heir on the side of caution.
Yeah a filtered enclosure has been on my list and I'm definitely avoiding ABS at least until then. I've been printing mostly with PLA with a bit of PETG thrown in, but it does sit 4 feet behind me where I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week...

Now the back of my throat is itching... Thanks... :lol:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:16 am

You suck. :D
gnat wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm Hey Schnelly. Look at at that clean plate and lack of rafts with 3x47mm foot prints!

Jelly? :mrgreen:
MVIMG_20190623_011124.jpg

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:57 pm

double post
Last edited by sweet victory on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 am Yeah a filtered enclosure has been on my list and I'm definitely avoiding ABS at least until then. I've been printing mostly with PLA with a bit of PETG thrown in, but it does sit 4 feet behind me where I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week...

Now the back of my throat is itching... Thanks... :lol:

Speaking of what to print with lately, I've really been enjoying printing with ColorFabb's XT-CF20. So much so that I don't think I will ever order PLA or ABS for the foreseeable future. Ordered a 3D Solex Print Core with Ruby nozzles to handle the abrasive filament. It's a filament that prints at slow speeds, but damn it produces some really nice parts.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

I've heard good things about their CF blend. I'm not printing anything where I need more strength than PLA provides though. Just a few extruder parts where the temperature is better dealt with by PETG.

Have you seen E3D's Nozzle X? It's supposed to be a lot better than the ruby nozzles.

I've read complaints about the ruby nozzles having a brass press fit shim in them that prevents ideal heat transfer.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm I've heard good things about their CF blend. I'm not printing anything where I need more strength than PLA provides though. Just a few extruder parts where the temperature is better dealt with by PETG.

Have you seen E3D's Nozzle X? It's supposed to be a lot better than the ruby nozzles.

I've read complaints about the ruby nozzles having a brass press fit shim in them that prevents ideal heat transfer.

My prints are being used as functional prototypes, as some of our factory acceptance test procedures cannot be waived with CFD analysis. It's really nice to be able to chuck in a part in a test fixture and see how it affects oil delivery to critical components. A lot easier to tweak a model and hit print versus having another part cnc machined when we're in the design phase. Unless it's a business card holder that our receptionist asks for, I typically use some variant of a copolyester for strength or chemical resistance. Our strategic business plan includes adding additive manufacturing to our facility, so I'm looking forward to where that goes. Our solidworks VAR demo'd the mark forge printer for us, but don't think it will produce what we need.

I'm not sure if there is an um3+ print core that will take that nozzle. I could be wrong tho; I wanted a plug and play printer for a reason. :mrgreen:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 pm

I looked hard at the UM3+ and 5S. I liked the simplicity of the cores, but I didn't like the price of he cores. Been super happy with my Original Prusa and glad I got it (saving over 4k vs the 5S wasn't bad either :lol: ).

The MMU is nice too once you get past getting it all playing nice.