Post by gnat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:13 am

Received and started building a new toy yesterday:
img_20200820_114043.jpg
img_20200820_114848.jpg
After the first chapter of the install:
img_20200820_161420.jpg
At the end of the second chapter:
img_20200820_181257.jpg
I'll do the last two steps this afternoon and then get it setup and configured. Will probably wait until tomorrow for it's first print though.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by gnat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:22 am

I went with the Prusa over significantly cheaper (like 4x cheaper!) options because I have a history with them and they are a consistently good company (both in their products and how they treat their customers). The main thing was that it uses the same slicer software that I use for the FDM printer and, in my opinion, it is far superior to the other options I grabbed and tried playing with. Prusa has thought the workflow out really well. Even still I've spent the last 4 weeks questioning if I just wasted ~$1200 on a brand name.

I don't want to disparage the cheaper printers since I haven't seen them in person, but as soon as I started removing stuff from the box I became happy with my choice. This is one solidly built unit with the frame parts all being machined aluminum with zero slop. Hopefully the printing goes as smoothly as the assembly is.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am

gnat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:22 am I went with the Prusa over significantly cheaper (like 4x cheaper!) options because I have a history with them and they are a consistently good company (both in their products and how they treat their customers). The main thing was that it uses the same slicer software that I use for the FDM printer and, in my opinion, it is far superior to the other options I grabbed and tried playing with. Prusa has thought the workflow out really well. Even still I've spent the last 4 weeks questioning if I just wasted ~$1200 on a brand name.

I don't want to disparage the cheaper printers since I haven't seen them in person, but as soon as I started removing stuff from the box I became happy with my choice. This is one solidly built unit with the frame parts all being machined aluminum with zero slop. Hopefully the printing goes as smoothly as the assembly is.
NICE! Is your next print job a full sized replica of a 996?
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am

Not with this thing! The thing sitting on the microfiber in the last pic is it's build plate.

I could probably knock out some IMSBs though :lol:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Ugh. Well that didn't work out at all. I've had it 3 weeks now and it's still not working. I don't want to discuss it publicly yet since I'm still on the hook for $2k for a non-working printer, but support has been far from ideal and I'm just returning it. The current sticking point is that they want me to eat the cost of the return shipping even though the reason for the return is all on them. Including the ~$100 in shipping that I have already paid to get it which I do not expect to see returned, that is going to be over $200 they want me to eat for something I will no longer have through no fault of my own.

Needless to say, but I am not amused...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:41 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:19 pm Ugh. Well that didn't work out at all. I've had it 3 weeks now and it's still not working. I don't want to discuss it publicly yet since I'm still on the hook for $2k for a non-working printer, but support has been far from ideal and I'm just returning it. The current sticking point is that they want me to eat the cost of the return shipping even though the reason for the return is all on them. Including the ~$100 in shipping that I have already paid to get it which I do not expect to see returned, that is going to be over $200 they want me to eat for something I will no longer have through no fault of my own.

Well that sux! Tell me you're not shipping that back to the Czech Republic. :roll:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:52 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:41 pm
gnat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:19 pm Ugh. Well that didn't work out at all. I've had it 3 weeks now and it's still not working. I don't want to discuss it publicly yet since I'm still on the hook for $2k for a non-working printer, but support has been far from ideal and I'm just returning it. The current sticking point is that they want me to eat the cost of the return shipping even though the reason for the return is all on them. Including the ~$100 in shipping that I have already paid to get it which I do not expect to see returned, that is going to be over $200 they want me to eat for something I will no longer have through no fault of my own.

Well that sux! Tell me you're not shipping that back to the Czech Republic. :roll:
Yeap that's where it's gotta go.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:52 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:41 pm

BAJEEZUS! So much for they
are a consistently good company (both in their products and how they treat their customers

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:19 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm
gnat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:52 pm
BAJEEZUS! So much for they
are a consistently good company (both in their products and how they treat their customers
Yeah that their support was a main factor in my decision makes this all the more frustrating.

I continue to believe that I would have been happy with it if it had just worked or if we could have resolved it in less than 2 weeks (and it will be at least another week before they can ship me the next part, so another 2 weeks (minimum) give or take when you add the shipping to me). Really frustrating and really disappointing.

In the mean time if I had ordered one of the el cheapo models (with very similar printing specs) from Amazon on the same day I would have had it 2 days later. If it hadn't worked Amazon would have had me a replacement a couple days later. I would have saved about $1500 to boot.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:16 pm

<--insert gratuitous carping by old-timer about how the great support is always the first to go when the "little startup with great support" sees continued/prolific growth-->

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.