Anyone know much about 3d printers?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Helping pop out, volume x of many. Dad needs to create a 3d model from a pair of glasses, and wants one or more high-quality, dimensionally-accurate 3D prints of the resulting model.

Are there scan-as-a-service places out there? I'll go hit the search gargler and see what I come up with, but hot tips are always appreciated. My MakerBot 3D scanner is a cute toy, but...no.

My Replicator 2 is not up to the task of printing a decent pair of glasses frames without a crapload of cleanup work. SLA seems like the best way to get the best quality print, but SLA used to be much more brittle than PLA and ABS, so I'm probably looking at either paying someone online for an SLA print or upgrading my MakerBot to something decent enough to make an acceptable ABS/PLA print. Any musings?

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:11 pm Helping pop out, volume x of many. Dad needs to create a 3d model from a pair of glasses, and wants one or more high-quality, dimensionally-accurate 3D prints of the resulting model.

Are there scan-as-a-service places out there? I'll go hit the search gargler and see what I come up with, but hot tips are always appreciated. My MakerBot 3D scanner is a cute toy, but...no.
No idea, though I did hear someone else crapping on the MB scanner earlier today. So you aren't alone in your viewpoint.
My Replicator 2 is not up to the task of printing a decent pair of glasses frames without a crapload of cleanup work. SLA seems like the best way to get the best quality print, but SLA used to be much more brittle than PLA and ABS, so I'm probably looking at either paying someone online for an SLA print or upgrading my MakerBot to something decent enough to make an acceptable ABS/PLA print. Any musings?
Other than MB being a bunch of DRMing bastards these days I don't know much about how capable your printer is. Depending on what is wanted, however, there is no reason a FDM printer shouldn't be able to do a decent pair of glasses if it isn't complete shit.

For SLA they do have resins these days that they market as "tough" or "abs-like" that are supposed to be ... well ... ABS like in their qualities. I haven't used them yet, however, so I don't know.

After a bunch of back and forth with Prusa I shipped just the printer itself back to them yesterday and they are promising to have it fixed and back to me in two weeks. After that I do have some bright orange "tough" resin that came with the printer and I'd be happy to try printing a sample for you to judge the results.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Cool. I'll take a look on Thingiverse and find a similar test model.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:55 am

gnat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm
After a bunch of back and forth with Prusa I shipped just the printer itself back to them yesterday and they are promising to have it fixed and back to me in two weeks. After that I do have some bright orange "tough" resin that came with the printer and I'd be happy to try printing a sample for you to judge the results.
I was going to ask if you had to ship it back. Jesus! There, fixed and back...let me know how well they stick to that promise.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am

You guys probably already know this but in Pano this month they had a small burb about Porsche is using 3D printers to make the pistons for the GT2 RS!!!

That is a stressful environment.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:11 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:55 am
gnat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm
I was going to ask if you had to ship it back. Jesus! There, fixed and back...let me know how well they stick to that promise.
Just got notice this morning that it is repaired and they are starting test prints to verify functionality. In addition to the known bad UV board they apparently also decided that the power supply and masking LCD* needed to be replaced as well :roll:

* For the less versed: This is a mSLA printer (m = masked) which means that it displays a negative image on a LCD screen representing the layer to be printed. It then shines UV light (405nm) through the LCD for a configured period of time (2-30 seconds depending on the layer info (first layer, thickness, etc.. and material). Resin not protected by the masked off image on the LCD then hardens into the layer. The print is then lifted 0.025-0.1mm (depends on the print configuration) and the process repeats.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am You guys probably already know this but in Pano this month they had a small burb about Porsche is using 3D printers to make the pistons for the GT2 RS!!!

Guess you don't want to know that GE 3D prints some parts for their commercial airline engines ;)

I'll have to dig up our copy and find the article. Sounds interesting. It's a wide gulf between what someone can afford to put on their desk at home and the type of printer they are using for that application.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 am

gnat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am You guys probably already know this but in Pano this month they had a small burb about Porsche is using 3D printers to make the pistons for the GT2 RS!!!

Guess you don't want to know that GE 3D prints some parts for their commercial airline engines ;)
That does it! No more 737 Max from Boeing and now I have to ask what type of engines are on other planes before I fly...Yeah, like I would get on an airplane right now anyway. :shock:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:37 am

From the horse's mouth:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/company ... 14816.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/innovat ... 15105.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/innovat ... 16650.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/pr ... 19996.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/te ... 21462.html

Given how their switch to water cooled 911s went, I think I'll wait a generation or two before picking up my first Porsche with a 3D printed motor...

Hmmm... I wonder what Jake could do with such technology...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 am

Do you have an anticipated return ship date?