Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by gnat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm

32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 pm

gnat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm
This is an awesome use of 3D printing. Go IKEA!! 8-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -printers/
https://thisables.com/en/
This is some awesome sh!t! Kudos to IKEA for getting involved in this. What I find significant is that they started out with inviting the end users in to find out what would help. They just didn't depend on some design engineer with a degree in something to design something without direct knowledge. Good job!

32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 am

So I haven't looked it up but heard talk on radio about some outfit is TX claiming they can 3D print a concrete house in a week!! Have you guys heard that?? Maybe they could print trump some wall! OPPS! Wrong thread... :lol:

gnat
Robot Taskmaster

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am

32wildbilly wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 am
So I haven't looked it up but heard talk on radio about some outfit is TX claiming they can 3D print a concrete house in a week!! Have you guys heard that?? Maybe they could print trump some wall! OPPS! Wrong thread... :lol:
Yeah that's actually been around for awhile (don't know if it's the same company). The object was for it to be used in places like Africa to build strong houses cheaply in remote areas or in areas recovering from a disaster.

The last I heard about it, however, it was too dependent on water (which is usually scarce in the target areas) and getting the "printer" into the location was a challenge. The final product didn't exactly look that appealing to live in either.

Hopefully it being back in the news means they fixed some of these issues and is more practical now.