Drag racing @ SDCCU Friday Night (RaceLegal)?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Drag racing @ SDCCU Friday Night (RaceLegal)?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Bumping an old thread - tonight is the last RaceLegal event, which is a bummer. However, the show tonight should be EPIC. I'll be beating on the 'Vette, but I have a stack of Outpost stickers in case I see some 966's...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm Bumping an old thread - tonight is the last RaceLegal event, which is a bummer. However, the show tonight should be EPIC. I'll be beating on the 'Vette, but I have a stack of Outpost stickers in case I see some 966's...
Last as in ever? If so, what happened?
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:55 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm Bumping an old thread - tonight is the last RaceLegal event, which is a bummer. However, the show tonight should be EPIC. I'll be beating on the 'Vette, but I have a stack of Outpost stickers in case I see some 966's...
Sooo...what happened? Any vids?
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 am

It was an EPIC clusterf**k - but there might be some good coming from showing up.

On a normal night, the gates, tech, and the registration trailer open at 5PM, racing starts at 6. People start trickling in around 5:30 (folks who are trailering rigs); street-legal cars and spectators keep showing up all night until racing shuts down at 11PM.

On Friday: I left work at 4:30; the stadium is a quarter mile from my office. All of the feeders to the stadium were already backed up at least a quarter mile by the time I got in line; I got through the gate and into the tech line at 6PM. At 8:00, I finally got teched (which is a 30-second joke compared to the most lax autocross tech you've ever seen) - and then stood in line for 30 minutes to check in and sign the waiver. The trailer staff were n00bs who didn't know how to look up previous racers, so I had to race on a new number. Ordinarily this would suck, but since the racing was so crappy, it didn't really matter.

I had to park and find some food (on a normal night, remember, this is all done by 6PM at the latest - by 9, I was fuggin' HUNGRY) - and then jumped right back in line. I got waved into the prepped lanes - the wrong lane for my car with street tires - and lined up against a slick-wearing C5 Z06 with a massive rear-mounted turbo making at least a thousand horsepower. I'm in my C4 Corvette with nothing but transmission and differential mods separating me from bone stock. My run was clean - I can't call it a race, since I was probably 2-3 shifting when he was starting his U-turn at the end of the strip - but not really exciting.

I headed back into the pits, lined up again...and they shut the track down for 30 minutes because of some spectator fracas. I finally got lined up against an Audi sedan which could have been a decent race - but I didn't get a burnout in before this run (the line fiasco), and I blew the tires off TWICE trying to get the car down the track - and STILL managed to DQ out of my bracket trying to make up for it at the big end.

By this time it was 10:30, there was no announcement whether they were going to stay open later, and the place was swarming with 5-0 because frustrated racers and spectators who weren't able to get into the venue were trying to drift, flag drag races, and doing all kinds of other stupid crap in the unused areas of the stadium lot...so I left.

The potential good from showing up: Due to the volume of interest, there is unconfirmed rumor that the current promoter is handing over the reins to a new party interested in keeping it going. That would be a very good thing...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:58 am