The Good Old Days of Radio Control before Drones

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: The Good Old Days of Radio Control before Drones

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:17 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:43 pm Oh, that car was gonna be pink. There was zero doubt about that, no matter what dad said.
Yes, I knew that already...In addition; congratulations to your daughter. She should be proud.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Some of my other "need more time" projects:

Cheap-ass Amazon 4-channel car I gutted and grafted in a 9-channel digital receiver and a really ugly steering mechanism...
RC1.jpg
RC1.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
FPV receiver lash-up for driving it remotely. The dog lost his shit.
RC2.jpg
RC2.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
I have a serious problem.
RC3.jpg
RC3.jpg (98.81 KiB) Viewed 3339 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:30 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm I have a serious problem.
RC3.jpg
Yeah I imagine it is hard for you to find someone to play Boggle with :lol:

pcasanova
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by pcasanova » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:15 am

Enjoyed building these. Real stress reliever for me. Started with a Traxxas 2wd Truck > HPI Flex Camaro > Custom tamiya TB-02 Drift car.

My best modded rc car at the end.
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (350.77 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
Image 3.jpg
Image 3.jpg (351.3 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
Image 9.jpg
Image 9.jpg (340.02 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
Image 10.jpg
Image 10.jpg (418.81 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
996 Turbo Slv / Blk
996 C4 Cab in Triple Blue - SOLD

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Nice! I tend to run mine into crap at high speed, so nice paint is sort of pointless.

Any of you guys play with nitro RC? Now that batteries are so energy-dense, there's not really any need to dork around with the mess and complexity of glow-plug engines...but on the other hand, electric cars are for weenies. :D

I don't have any gas-powered models - I don't have the self-control to not lean them out to get the most power possible. They always die from heat cycle abuse after a few months...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm

That might be one of the best scale-model fart cans I've ever seen. Verra nice.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm Nice! I tend to run mine into crap at high speed, so nice paint is sort of pointless.

Any of you guys play with nitro RC? Now that batteries are so energy-dense, there's not really any need to dork around with the mess and complexity of glow-plug engines...but on the other hand, electric cars are for weenies. :D

I don't have any gas-powered models - I don't have the self-control to not lean them out to get the most power possible. They always die from heat cycle abuse after a few months...
...or you could be leading the A feature in the 1981 Open Formula Championship race in the Heart of America series keeping Art Carbonell a two time world champ behind me when the rod lets go...Pic below is during race practice with the offending rod laid on top. It looks all worn because it lived on my key ring for years like the Albatross that is was. See...it is a Picco engine rod which, back then, was only good for one day racing. I got lazy and only inspected the rod instead of changing it because the engine was so damn fast...Mistake!

I am getting the itch to get back into on-road gas RC's again. We have a permanent asphalt track in town. Yeah, leaning them down makes them fast but does make them wear out and/or die.
IMG_0537.jpg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm Any of you guys play with nitro RC? Now that batteries are so energy-dense, there's not really any need to dork around with the mess and complexity of glow-plug engines...but on the other hand, electric cars are for weenies. :D
Nitro is what I always wanted and what I was gonna do when I got that monster of mine. The shop talked me into LiPO and brushless.

The main reason I wanted to go Nitro is that I always hated the 30+ minutes to charge for 10 minutes of run time with NiCad and NiMH. So far I get bored before the truck starts to tire at all. I can get at least 3 good 30 minute sessions out of a charge and could probably do more, but that's when I usually break down and charge.

As far as speed goes, this setup is FAST. I'm only running a 4S setup with the stock gears and clod busting tires. If you hop up to 6S, change the spur, and put more road friendly tires claim it will do 65mph. Given what it will do in my config, I believe it. This is no stripped out speed demon either, it's probably a good 15+ pounds with the batteries in it.

I actually had to buy a new controller for it that let me detune it. While it was fun to let my teenage hooner out for a bit, the constant back flips from a standing start got old.

The new tech is definitely a different world.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm Any of you guys play with nitro RC? Now that batteries are so energy-dense, there's not really any need to dork around with the mess and complexity of glow-plug engines...but on the other hand, electric cars are for weenies. :D
Nitro is what I always wanted and what I was gonna do when I got that monster of mine. The shop talked me into LiPO and brushless.

The main reason I wanted to go Nitro is that I always hated the 30+ minutes to charge for 10 minutes of run time with NiCad and NiMH. So far I get bored before the truck starts to tire at all. I can get at least 3 good 30 minute sessions out of a charge and could probably do more, but that's when I usually break down and charge.

As far as speed goes, this setup is FAST. I'm only running a 4S setup with the stock gears and clod busting tires. If you hop up to 6S, change the spur, and put more road friendly tires claim it will do 65mph. Given what it will do in my config, I believe it. This is no stripped out speed demon either, it's probably a good 15+ pounds with the batteries in it.

I actually had to buy a new controller for it that let me detune it. While it was fun to let my teenage hooner out for a bit, the constant back flips from a standing start got old.

The new tech is definitely a different world.
Nitro...messy and engine can be finicky to start, tune and keep running, but the sound is awesome!!!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm Nitro...messy and engine can be finicky to start, tune and keep running, but the sound is awesome!!!
The 4S batts should have enough extra juice for me to do like Porsche and BMW to add an engine noise generator to it :lol: