Chromebook??

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Chromebook??

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 pm

The wife listens to a talk radio advice guy. He recommends buying a Chromebook only for use for online banking and bill paying and nothing else. I read a lengthy comparison review and a couple of concerns are the sketchy printing issue and Google in general especially the "send everything to their cloud suggestion" for storage. I don't trust "clouds".

All you computer savvy folks what say you?

P.S. We are 100% Apple stuff and I had terrible experiences with window based PC's which finally drove me to Apple.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Chromebook??

Post by gnat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:23 pm

I looked at them when I bought my last laptop. If the current Pixel was available then I would have gotten it and have been figuring that would be my option to replace my iPad and laptop.

My usage has changed twice since I bought the laptop though. I pretty much stopped using it and only used the iPad, but since getting my 3d printer that has completely flopped again.

If my current usage is the same and hardware/software options don't change, a Chromebook is out though. My 13" screen is too small for 3D work no matter how many pixels it has and there aren't modelers and slicers for ChomeOS right now.

As far as getting it only for certain things, that's silly. We all need less devices, not more.

If you are all in with Apple (and happy) then I'd suggest their answer to the Chromebook (MacBook?) if it meets all your needs functionally. If it doesn't, they have more capable options too ;)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:53 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:23 pm I looked at them when I bought my last laptop. If the current Pixel was available then I would have gotten it and have been figuring that would be my option to replace my iPad and laptop.

My usage has changed twice since I bought the laptop though. I pretty much stopped using it and only used the iPad, but since getting my 3d printer that has completely flopped again.

If my current usage is the same and hardware/software options don't change, a Chromebook is out though. My 13" screen is too small for 3D work no matter how many pixels it has and there aren't modelers and slicers for ChomeOS right now.

As far as getting it only for certain things, that's silly. We all need less devices, not more.

If you are all in with Apple (and happy) then I'd suggest their answer to the Chromebook (MacBook?) if it meets all your needs functionally. If it doesn't, they have more capable options too ;)
Good idea. I'll check out the little Apples. The guy she listens to is Clark Howard. Don't know if you have heard him. Multi-millionaire who does everything on the cheap except cars...he owns two Teslas!! That's why he recommends CB claiming you can get for $200 or less with a coupon! I humor her but for Craps sake...thrifty is one thing but cheap is cheap! Of course I quit be thrifty when I retired. Hell, you can't take it with you.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Never heard of him.

Yeah you won't find me touching any laptop that cheap. At that price it is seriously lacking in hardware and the software is also going to be compromised to better serve you ads and mine your data.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Chromebooks are great if you want a laptop that runs Chrome and nothing else. Sure, you can install apps from the Chrome store and shit, but the real magic with a Chromebook is the Google integration with Chrome. Login to the Chromebook, and all of your Google ID stuff gets applied to the Chrome session. Your passwords, your YouTube channels, whatever you use your browser for.

For a while, a couple of the PC makers were toying with multi-boot laptops, so you could run the device as a Chromebook for security or as a proper Windows/Linux/whatever when you need the full capability. This was too hackish to actually work, but I do like the concept.

If you can do everything you want to do on a Chromebook, I'd definitely go with one - but don't cheap out on the specs. A crappy underpowered CPU with too little RAM will ruin your computing experience, regardless of the operating system you use...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.