Californians: Don't ruin your summer tires...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Californians: Don't ruin your summer tires...

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:27 am

I know not everyone reads the details when buying new tires, but it's been cold enough here lately to void the warranty for some UHP compounds. For example, this is the dire warning for the ExtremeContact™ DW tires on my Corvette:

Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Californians: Don't ruin your summer tires...

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:36 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:27 am I know not everyone reads the details when buying new tires, but it's been cold enough here lately to void the warranty for some UHP compounds. For example, this is the dire warning for the ExtremeContact™ DW tires on my Corvette:

Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
So it got to 20f in San Diego??
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am

Not at my house, but the snow level dropped to 1,500 feet...there are far more cars being exposed to freezing temps than Californians are accustomed to...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:36 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am Not at my house, but the snow level dropped to 1,500 feet...there are far more cars being exposed to freezing temps than Californians are accustomed to...
I did see that on the news. That has got to have a lot of California natives dazed and confused as they probably have never experienced those conditions.
Never gonna make you cry...

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Headed to Willow Springs Raceway today. Supposed to be below freezing. Should make for fun on the track. Hope my tires don't crack in half.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Cuda911 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm Headed to Willow Springs Raceway today. Supposed to be below freezing. Should make for fun on the track. Hope my tires don't crack in half.
If so, just show up to the local tire dealer and ask them to balance your wheels for you to take care of the shimmy you've got :lol:

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:18 pm

I've seen your track tires - chunking is clearly not a concern.
Cuda911 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm Headed to Willow Springs Raceway today. Supposed to be below freezing. Should make for fun on the track. Hope my tires don't crack in half.