Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:42 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:56 am Heh. Generally I get cocky after the first few batteries / tanks of nitro fuel - and then I pack whatever I'm driving into a curb at 35-40MPH and make straight things look like that.
I think it's top speed with it's current batteries and gearing is 45mph. A straight on curb hit will stop it short. If it is at all glancing so that the a tire hits before the bumper, it laughs at the silly curb and climbs right over it :mrgreen:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 am Well...that tells me a lot about how you think...frightening! :D

Now let's talk about on road 1/8th scale nitro cars. Back in the day we were hitting over 65 mph actual down the straights and then turning at the end so the scale speeds were quite high. They are fun too. If you ran over somebody it usually doesn't work out well for you either. Skill entered into the equation as well as car set-up.
Yeah I've always been more of a basher than a racer ;)

I can also tell you that even at about 10mph this thing will make you limp the rest of the day if you aren't paying attention and smack your leg. I have no doubt that it would give someone a "nice" compound fracture if it met them going full bore.

If I swapped the gears and moved up to 3S batteries 65mph would be it's top speed, but it's already too insanely fast as it is so I have no real urge to do that.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:54 am

Our front "bumpers" were actually an approx. 3/16" thick piece of plastic that stuck out past the body. It was effective at protecting the car when bouncing off of the track boards, but it became an efficient knife when contacting flesh at speed! Ah those were the good old days. Now the cars have some sort of foamy stuff to prevent stitches...pussies!
gnat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 am I can also tell you that even at about 10mph this thing will make you limp the rest of the day if you aren't paying attention and smack your leg. I have no doubt that it would give someone a "nice" compound fracture if it met them going full bore.

If I swapped the gears and moved up to 3S batteries 65mph would be it's top speed, but it's already too insanely fast as it is so I have no real urge to do that.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:14 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:54 am Our front "bumpers" were actually an approx. 3/16" thick piece of plastic that stuck out past the body. It was effective at protecting the car when bouncing off of the track boards, but it became an efficient knife when contacting flesh at speed! Ah those were the good old days. Now the cars have some sort of foamy stuff to prevent stitches...pussies!
Nah. The only foam on mine is inside the tires and as spacers in the battery boxes. Everything else is hard plastic or metal. There is a fair amount of flex in the front bumper/rock guard though. My son's 1:10 truck is similarly not for the injury adverse. It just doesn't move as fast as I haven't upgraded him to a brushless setup yet as I figure that a 45+mph missile in the hands of a 9yr old probably wouldn't be the wisest parental decision (actually I have few worries about him, it's more of if he lets friends drive it).

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:37 pm

Ok kudos to the drone pilots in Ukraine! Saw a piece on the news that the volunteer pilots cruise around looking for Russian heavy equipment and call in strikes using coordinates.

...and don't even get me started on the Switch Blade drones!!!
Never gonna make you cry...