Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:08 pm

It took me a couple of years, but I now realize that the pendulum rocket fallacy partially explains why my Phantom crashed (I had a large foam skull suspended from it for Halloween; I was assuming that the head would make the rig more stable but I was WRONG).

On the plus side, Robert Goddard thought the same thing - so at least one famous (stupid) person thought the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_ ... %20factors.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:42 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:08 pm It took me a couple of years, but I now realize that the pendulum rocket fallacy partially explains why my Phantom crashed (I had a large foam skull suspended from it for Halloween; I was assuming that the head would make the rig more stable but I was WRONG).

On the plus side, Robert Goddard thought the same thing - so at least one famous (stupid) person thought the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_ ... %20factors.
Luckily the pendulum rocket fallacy effect did not occur during the golden Precious flight.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm

I had Gnat's bearing attached differently so it wouldn't swing - but yeah, it would have been a shame to scuff up a perfectly good gold-plated IMSB. :D

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:56 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm I had Gnat's bearing attached differently so it wouldn't swing - but yeah, it would have been a shame to scuff up a perfectly good gold-plated IMSB. :D
Scuffing did not even make the top 50 things I was worried about you doing to/with it...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm

It's not nice to F--k with Mother Nature!

Eagle: 1 Drone: 0

Bald eagle shows air superiority, sends government drone into Lake Michigan

I particularly like this line:
The drone sent 27 warning notifications in the 3.5 seconds that it took to spiral to the water, including one noting that a propeller was missing.
That's 7.7 warnings per second!!

Danger Will Robinson...Danger!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:18 am

Drone pilot punished...
'We just can't have people dropping things into our penitentiaries with drones,' judge says

Robert Kinser's attorney argued for probation and community service Tuesday in the case where his client was convicted of using a drone to try to deliver marijuana to the Lincoln Correctional Center.

"I don't minimize the things I've done. I know it's serious," 38-year-old Kinser said, asking the judge for one shot at probation.

His attorney, Dave Terrell, said the 0.6-ounce amount of marijuana found attached to the drone would've gotten Kinser a $300 fine on the outside as a possession case.

At the same time, Terrell said, they recognize it creates problems and disciplinary issues in prison. But he argued that probation, with jail time and community service, would be better for Kinser's family and the community than the "heroes' welcome" Kinser would get in prison.

But the Lincoln man will be heading to prison. He was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison and 18 months post-release supervision.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Dammit! I thought about going to Tel Aviv last week. I'm start to like drones more and more!

Hundreds of bags of cannabis fell from the sky in Israel, dropped by a 'green drone' on a Tel Aviv square

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am

Right at the end of the year, the FAA issued its Remote ID rule. This rule applies to all consumer drones and requires the introduction of a module to broadcast identification and location information about the drone and its take-off location in accordance with the remote ID rule's requirements.

Essentially, this will remove all anonymity from UAV operations, which is both great from a security standpoint and SHITTY from a privacy standpoint.

The rules will:

* Require UAVs (drones) to have a built-in Remote ID module or to be retrofitted with a standalone Remote ID module.
* Requires non-remote-ID-equipped UAVs to ONLY operate within designated areas (implemented after 18 months)
* Requires UAV manufacturers to build in Remote ID modules within the next year

The FAA loosened some of the flight restrictions for properly-licensed and equipped drones for flying over people and flying at night for Remote ID-equipped craft, so I guess that's a positive.

I think overall this is going to negatively impact the UAV market - but given that nearly every drone operator I see in the wild is doing something illegal and/or dangerous, that might not be a terrible thing.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:18 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am I think overall this is going to negatively impact the UAV market - but given that nearly every drone operator I see in the wild is doing something illegal and/or dangerous, that might not be a terrible thing.
You mean like flying around with a lump of gold plated flying death tethered underneath it? :roll:

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am

That was not technically illegal. I won't argue whether questionable judgment was involved - but questionable judgment is ALWAYS involved when real fun happens.