Tesla battery issue - smoke, then flash fire

Battery Guy

Re: Tesla battery issue - smoke, then flash fire

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

I’m very confident that they will still add $30 to my bill for no reason, then make me waste an hour on the phone getting it credited back. Next bill will be correct, then the following month will be screwed up again. But at least I have slow internet service. To their credit the Direct TV part of the package does not suck for the price.
D
Just curious what the tv part of DirecTV costs these days? I had DirecTV for 11 years in rural Iowa and 2 Years in Chicago suburbs and loved it. When we moved here this house sits on a heavily treed lot with mature trees blocking the satellite azimuth and altitude so we are screwed into using cable. We have three tv's each require a cable box, one of which is a DVR. We don't have premium such as HBO-Showtime-etc but a digital package including a college sports no pro sports and we pay north of $170 per month. Keep in mind this is for tv service ONLY. I don''t recall DTV being that pricy but last we had it was 2005 so maybe it's gone up.
My TV portion is about $80, but that has I think two different discounts applied that will probably expire soon. I think that the “standard” price is around $120 but I doubt that anyone pays that much. I don’t pay for any premium channels, but we do like sports, so whatever package we have has the SEC network as well as the Big 10 network (that one may be standard here in Ohio). I do have four TV’s with the little boxes, and one master/DVR box.

Where I get screwed is the internet service - it is $40/month for 24mbs service, so very slow and expensive. And they charge me $30+ for my landline - I would pull the plug on that but it is useful for conference calls and similar that I don’t want to do on my mobile. If we didn’t like the DirectTV service I would switch to a cable company for faster internet (Spectrum can supply 100mbs in our area for $50/month) but when I looked at streaming services they add up to as much as we pay for DirectTV. So will stick with this for now and suffer with the slow internet.

My total bill is around $160/month for TV, Phone and Internet so it does sound like your cost is a lot higher than mine.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Just curious what the tv part of DirecTV costs these days? I had DirecTV for 11 years in rural Iowa and 2 Years in Chicago suburbs and loved it. When we moved here this house sits on a heavily treed lot with mature trees blocking the satellite azimuth and altitude so we are screwed into using cable. We have three tv's each require a cable box, one of which is a DVR. We don't have premium such as HBO-Showtime-etc but a digital package including a college sports no pro sports and we pay north of $170 per month. Keep in mind this is for tv service ONLY. I don''t recall DTV being that pricy but last we had it was 2005 so maybe it's gone up.
My TV portion is about $80, but that has I think two different discounts applied that will probably expire soon. I think that the “standard” price is around $120 but I doubt that anyone pays that much. I don’t pay for any premium channels, but we do like sports, so whatever package we have has the SEC network as well as the Big 10 network (that one may be standard here in Ohio). I do have four TV’s with the little boxes, and one master/DVR box.

Where I get screwed is the internet service - it is $40/month for 24mbs service, so very slow and expensive. And they charge me $30+ for my landline - I would pull the plug on that but it is useful for conference calls and similar that I don’t want to do on my mobile. If we didn’t like the DirectTV service I would switch to a cable company for faster internet (Spectrum can supply 100mbs in our area for $50/month) but when I looked at streaming services they add up to as much as we pay for DirectTV. So will stick with this for now and suffer with the slow internet.

My total bill is around $160/month for TV, Phone and Internet so it does sound like your cost is a lot higher than mine.
D
Yeah Spectrum is our cable provider..."Danger Will Robinson...Danger!!" One of their favorite billing trick is don't send you the email notification of payment due then tack on late charges. When you call they say "We show we sent the notice." When I reply "well I searched my computer I have no record that you did." They drop the charges then about six to nine months later...same thing all over again. Yeah I know set-up automatic payments. Nope I don't trust them to not tinker with that, as well.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Well, ya got trouble, my friend, right here. I say, trouble right here in River City. Right here in River City. Trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "T" and that stands for Tesla!
LFR responds to fire near Normal and S. Cotner Blvd.

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue responded to a car fire that eventually spread to an attached garage near 45th and Normal Boulevard.

The call came into LFR around 12:45 p.m. about the fire at 4501 Newton Street.

According to a reporter on the scene, at least six fire trucks were at the location.

Officials said LFR responded to a fire in the attached garage of the household. There were no injuries and no one was inside the home at the time of the fire.

Initial reports are that a vehicle in the garage, which is believed to be a Tesla, caught fire and spread to the garage.
Flame On Torch Boy!
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:45 pm

I have read an NTSB report on a crash/fire of a Tesla SUV. The reason for the crash is interesting in itself, the fire more so. Evidently there are external emergency connections on each battery pack. This lets Tesla operatives disable the battery in case of damage, fire, or whatever. Otherwise the battery is pretty inaccessable, as the modules' individual cells are inside a stainless steel case.
However, in this particular case, one module got damaged and even Tesla couldn't defuse it. The emergency-emergency solution, is, pump saltwater into the battery to short it out and there is a connection on the battery case to allow that.
Double however, that didn't work either, and the battery kept catching on fire for weeks after the crash.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Tesla's appear safe if you don't use the autopilot and for God sakes don't wreck it!
2 dead after fiery crash involving self-driving Tesla, authorities said

SPRING, Texas (KTRK) -- Two people died in a fiery crash involving a 2019 Tesla Model S and its autopilot functionality while taking it for a test drive on Saturday night, according to authorities.

The flames reportedly took hours to extinguish, and Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said the investigation has led them to believe that there was no one driving the car when the crash occurred.

The crash happened just after 9 p.m. on Hammock Dunes Place in the Carlton Woods Creekside subdivision. The victims were said to have been a 59 and 69-year-old man, however police have not released their names yet.

Firefighters and medics were called to the scene after reports of an explosion in the woods after the Tesla ran off the road, authorities said.

The Tesla was traveling from a cul-de-sac on Hammock Dunes Place and did not negotiate a curve. The vehicle crashed into a tree before bursting into flames.

Crews found two bodies inside the vehicle, a man in the front passenger seat and another man in the back passenger seat.

The batteries on board the Tesla continued to ignite despite efforts to douse the flames, authorities said. It reportedly took around four hours and more than 30,000 gallons of water before firefighters decided to let the fire burn itself out.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm Tesla's appear safe if you don't use the autopilot and for God sakes don't wreck it!
The batteries on board the Tesla continued to ignite despite efforts to douse the flames, authorities said. It reportedly took around four hours and more than 30,000 gallons of water before firefighters decided to let the fire burn itself out.
Yeah that sounds really great for the environment. :roll:

Not only the waste of water, but how much bad shit did those batteries release while burning?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:05 pm

No kidding. Negative impact on the environment on the creation side as well as the departure side, but it's good because it didn't consume fossil fuel...right? :x

Sigh...
gnat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm Tesla's appear safe if you don't use the autopilot and for God sakes don't wreck it!

Not only the waste of water, but how much bad shit did those batteries release while burning?

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:05 pm No kidding. Negative impact on the environment on the creation side as well as the departure side, but it's good because it didn't consume fossil fuel...right? :x

Sigh...
gnat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Well, you guys definitely have a point. But, probably best to chalk this up to growing pains on the highway of progress. Electrics are here to stay.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am Well, you guys definitely have a point. But, probably best to chalk this up to growing pains on the highway of progress. Electrics are here to stay.
Oh I know. It's just sad that people don't understand the environmental and social impact of their cars that are "saving the planet" :(

I mean all I see here is fields of daisies and happy workers... :roll: :cry:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 am

Thank you! That was my point exactly on the "creation side".
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 am
FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am Well, you guys definitely have a point. But, probably best to chalk this up to growing pains on the highway of progress. Electrics are here to stay.
Oh I know. It's just sad that people don't understand the environmental and social impact of their cars that are "saving the planet" :(

I mean all I see here is fields of daisies and happy workers... :roll: :cry: