DarkWeb Email warning

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: DarkWeb Email warning

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Black-Out wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:33 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:55 am So I get an email today from the credit monitoring service provided by one of my credit cards saying they found our email address on the darkweb. The email included a click here button. I did NOT use the click here in the email instead I went to my credit card website directly and entered the monitoring site. Sure enough found a warning that our email had been found on a darkweb site due to a hack of the MyFitness app back in Feb 2018. The note suggested changing the password for the email even though the warning said "password not exposed" and "You should reset the passwords for your email account along with the password for any other accounts associated with your email address."

I deleted the MyFitness app due to not using(cause I'm a fat-ass) and because of news of their hack. I cannot find my log in info for use of that app, but I know I put nothing personal in there and what I did put was fake information other than the email. At this point I can't even find the password I used for this app.

Does the warning mean any website that uses our email to reply to(such as billing websites, amazon, eBay, etc...) need to have those pass words changed?

Is the sky falling?

Just as a rule of thumb, if I come across an email I am unfamiliar with or feels like its fishy I will hold the pointer over the senders name in the email. This reveals the senders name and its just a quick check to help see if you're dealing with a legit company. For example I had an email show up in my box claiming I had an account about to be locked down with wells fargo. I have 1 account with them and it's a loan account so immediately I was skeptical knowing that I had no issues with my account standing. I held the pointer over the sender and the actual sender was not wells fargo (although that's what it said on the header) and I immediately googled the scam, sent a screen shot of the actual email and sent it to well fargo fraud prevention on their legit web site. Then I deleted the email, but not before sending them a short fuck you letter.......childish? sure, But it made me feel better....lol
Yeah I use the hover technique a lot and find quite a few not what they appear!
Never gonna make you cry...