Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: FlatSix's Red 996

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm Where is FlatSixBlahBlah to come guest speak about waiting for a car to get out of the "Refinish Department"?
Whoa... wait a min... is his car still being repaired from the wreck? :shock:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:45 pm

When I checked in with him to let him know about this site he told me he had the car back after a 6 month repair but it needed to have some things yet corrected.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Yeah, Flatsix had quite the wait. Lost a whole season of driving, I think. Sounded like he stayed positive through the whole deal. I would have been climbing the walls! I would want his car "back in the groove of my life" much quicker.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am

The saga continues. Upon receiving and inspecting the Cherokee, we rejected the repair and rescheduled it for another round of service.

Complaints about the repair include:
* Paint issues with the new lift gate. Various imperfections/scratches, a couple of which appeared to penetrate down to bare metal.
* A full set of grimy fingerprints dried into the paint on the inside edge of the lift gate where some ham-fisted slob grabbed it while it was still wet.
* The RH rear fender had paint damage from being impacted by the lift gate. They "forgot" this area.
* The lift gate was installed off-center, with a panel gap of roughly 1/8" on the driver side and close to half an inch on the passenger side.
* One of the speaker grilles in the cargo area was broken during disassembly; rather than ordering a replacement, they just reinstalled the busted part.
* The weather seal/trim ring between the vehicle and lift gate was damaged during the collision. Although a replacement part was listed on the work history (parts AND labor), they "forgot" and re-installed the original part.
* The black plastic trim around the top of the lift gate was permanently marred, probably because the detail guy didn't bother to mask it before buffing.

Honestly, I would have overlooked a number of these. It is a Jeep, after all, and we treat it as such. I was already a bit hostile when repairs took twice as long as initially quoted, but the audible warning and on-screen alert indicating a "License plate bulb failure" that repeats EVERY 5 FREAKING MINUTES when the headlights are on is intolerable. The bulbs are present and functional; I'm guessing the harness wasn't properly grounded or a wire got pinched during reassembly. After trying and failing to fix this issue for nearly a week, the car went to the dealership for diagnostics and repair.

In addition to the less-than-exemplary workmanship, the service adviser also misrepresented several things (that sounds much nicer than "lied a lot," doesn't it?) over the course of the repair.

Today's the day we (allegedly) take delivery of the re-repaired vehicle. We'll see...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am

ElSchnell wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am The saga continues. Upon receiving and inspecting the Cherokee, we rejected the repair and rescheduled it for another round of service.

Complaints about the repair include:
* Paint issues with the new lift gate. Various imperfections/scratches, a couple of which appeared to penetrate down to bare metal.
* A full set of grimy fingerprints dried into the paint on the inside edge of the lift gate where some ham-fisted slob grabbed it while it was still wet.
* The RH rear fender had paint damage from being impacted by the lift gate. They "forgot" this area.
* The lift gate was installed off-center, with a panel gap of roughly 1/8" on the driver side and close to half an inch on the passenger side.
* One of the speaker grilles in the cargo area was cracked and broken during disassembly.
* The weather seal/trim ring between the vehicle and lift gate was gashed up in several areas. Although it was listed on the repair order as a new part, they "forgot" and re-used the original part.
* The black plastic trim around the top of the lift gate was permanently marred, probably because the detail guy didn't bother to mask it before buffing.

Honestly, I would have overlooked a number of these. It is a Jeep, after all, and we treat it as such. I was already a bit hostile when repairs took twice as long as initially quoted, but the audible warning and on-screen alert indicating a "License plate bulb failure" that repeats EVERY 5 FREAKING MINUTES when the headlights are on pushed me over the edge.

Today's the day we (allegedly) take delivery of the re-repaired vehicle. Should be interesting...
This was a new vehicle. It should be returned back to the groove of your life in as new condition before the idiot hit you. Doesn't sound like you are being picky to me. Sounds like the legal bud smoking has had an influence already! Keep us updated, please.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 am

ElSchnell wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am
In addition to the less-than-exemplary workmanship, the service adviser also misrepresented several things (that sounds much nicer than "lied a lot," doesn't it?) over the course of the repair.

Today's the day we (allegedly) take delivery of the re-repaired vehicle. We'll see...
((HIGH FIVE))

Good for you! You want it done right, and I don't blame you for making a punch list before you'll sign off on the repairs. Hold your ground and expect the very best. And whatever you do, don't pay them until every square inch of that Jeep is inspected. ;)

Cheers!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 am

At this point, I'm really having to resist the urge to use the UConnect app to trigger the alarm.

Every ten minutes.

My issues run deep. And wide.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am

Did you get it back yesterday? If so, how was it?

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 am

Picking up the car yesterday was postponed due to some jackwagon drilling through a 20" natural gas pipeline and shutting down the 163 freeway in both directions and wreaking havoc with most of Mission Valley.

Today, however, we made our way back to Caliber to see if the rhythm of our life was to be restored. Alas, it wasn't. To their credit, about half of the issues were resolved, but there were at least half a dozen places where the finish was still unacceptable.

The third iteration of "come get your Jeep" is supposed to take place on Tuesday. We'll see.

Props to the wife - she didn't bother returning her rental, assuming there would still be issues. I, stupidly, was assuming they'd have their crap together. Yet another instance where the wife knows best...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Wait...50% repair of their own screw-ups isn't good enough for you! You, Sir, are a difficult taskmaster!!

Keep us apprised. This is interesting...and good on the wife for the rental decision!