Re: Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Update...Please! Fingers crossed.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm

I am pleased - and, quite frankly, amazed - to announce The Restoration of The Rhythm Of My Life(sorta TM). The total amount of the loss, including Mrs. Schnell's medical expenses (initial urgent care visit, emergency room visit, follow-up care including physical therapy) has yet to be determined.

Fun facts:
December 21, 2018: Date of initial loss
70: Days elapsed between initial delivery to Caliber and final receipt from Caliber
82: Approximate number of days spent driving shitty rental cars
53: Number of days by which Caliber missed the initial Life Rhythm Restoration Date(TM)
$2,089.18: Total rental car bill*
4: Total number of rental cars used**
$6,792.36: Initial repair estimate (parts+labor)
50: Number of labor hours (preliminary estimate)

*AAA does not reimburse for any services/insurance options. Be sure to ask what is/isn't covered.

**Insurers typically only pay for the time your vehicle is being repaired. AAA initially denied the 12
days of rental (from 12/21 through 1/2). I told AAA to suck a c**k; it was an AAA employee
opined that the car was not safe to operate and recommended a rental.

Additional musings: I was stunned to see the extent to which a seemingly minor accident could affect your life. I have assumed that people who sue after being rear-ended are, for the most part, unethical, money-grabbing slobs. After watching the whole process first-hand, it's easy to see how even a seemingly minor accident like ours could be catastrophic for someone who isn't financially secure or who works a job with inflexible hours. Similarly, I've always assumed that those people wearing neck braces after an accident were just pathetic weaklings or were in cahoots with an ambulance-chasing attorney. My wife has a monstrous pain tolerance; for weeks after the accident - and even now, on rare occasion - the simple act of turning her head or looking down brought tears to her eyes. An accident like ours could be financially ruinous for someone with an inflexible work schedule, no health insurance, and no way to rent or borrow a substitute vehicle.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

So is the wife going to seek further medical treatment. These things can linger especially a neck injury.

Is the Jeep back in acceptable condition, now?

It does suck butt that you were minding your own business and some dip-sh1t causes all these problems by blasting into the back of your car. I hate the lawsuit mentality of our society but in some cases(this one) it sounds justified.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm

We're not suing anyone, but I have a better idea of why people some people do.

The Mrs. has a few physical therapy appointments left, but she's doing MUCH better. Almost full range of motion, not much pain.

Surprisingly, AAA is going to include some yet-TBD amount for "pain and suffering;" I thought that was a lawsuit-only line-item.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm

ElSchnell wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm The Mrs. has a few physical therapy appointments left, but she's doing MUCH better. Almost full range of motion, not much pain.
And this is what truly matters. (I know you know this, just sayin') Glad to read this detail particularly.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm
ElSchnell wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm The Mrs. has a few physical therapy appointments left, but she's doing MUCH better. Almost full range of motion, not much pain.
And this is what truly matters. (I know you know this, just sayin') Glad to read this detail particularly.
^^^True that.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

ElSchnell wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm We're not suing anyone, but I have a better idea of why people some people do.

The Mrs. has a few physical therapy appointments left, but she's doing MUCH better. Almost full range of motion, not much pain.

Surprisingly, AAA is going to include some yet-TBD amount for "pain and suffering;" I thought that was a lawsuit-only line-item.
Expect her to have pain for nearly a year. It will get less and less, but some things will exacerbate it, such as a long plane ride where you aren't able to move around much. I've been in two significant accidents like that.

Rough rule of thumb for pain & suffering is 2 to 3 times medical bills. Just a guideline and keep in mind I'm not a personal injury attorney. And I'm not licensed in California. And this is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. So, basically that info is worth what I'm charging you for it.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for the great legal advice. This is the best client-attorney relationship I've ever had with a California-licensed personal injury attorney!

I'ma double your retainer.