Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

Repairs are still underway; the service adviser has been keeping me updated. Here's some photos of teardown...
REAR END DISASSEMBLE.jpg
REAR END DISASSEMBLE.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
REAR BODY, REAR FLOOR IN PROCESS.jpg
REAR BODY, REAR FLOOR IN PROCESS.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
Rear body panel in process.jpg
Rear body panel in process.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
rear body panel in process 2.jpg
rear body panel in process 2.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Mrs. Schnell's Mashed Jeep

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am

Man I look at this stuff and every time I wish I could do body work. It's amazing to me what they can cut away, weld back, etc. I wonder if anybody teaches this stuff...
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Dgi 07 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am Man I look at this stuff and every time I wish I could do body work. It's amazing to me what they can cut away, weld back, etc. I wonder if anybody teaches this stuff...
Tech school.

Its crazy, some of the stuff now isn't even welded. Alot of cars now get glued together for alum and steel meeting points.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am

^ Yeah, good point. I was hoping I wouldn't have to enroll in a certificate program or something. Luckily, living in a big enough city like Las Vegas, there is a group of welders that meet weekly and they have said it's OK for me to stop by never even seeing a welding torch with my own eyes before. It sounds like they're all willing to give me the 101 class for free but beyond that it would be cool if someone taught little a la carte classes like Jake Raby does with his engine classes.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Looks like somebody put the bumper on upside down!
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Welding is one of those skills where it's handy, even if you SUCK at it.

Like I do.

I've had one exhaust tip on the Corvette that refused to stay clamped, no matter how often I tightened it...so I backed it up onto the Rhino Ramps, wrapped a 1" strip of mild steel around the problem area, and sh*twelded that sucker together.

The only welding advice I'm qualified to give: When you read the part about how prepping the materials to be welded is the most important part, don't just ignore it because prepping materials is boring.

Also, prepping materials doesn't have to be boring if you buy a powerful enough angle grinder. HOWEVER, check the max RPM of your grinder and ensure your accessories are rated for at least that high speed. Otherwise, your wire brush will start shedding razor-sharp wires that will embed themselves in stuff. Like your exposed calf muscle. Or at least that's what I've read online. ;)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 am

Did the Jeep ever come home?

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

It took Caliber a month to get the car back to us. The metal work and assembly all looks good, but there are several places that need to be corrected. I was fairly underwhelmed with the process.

If you even bother to read through this mess, you might be inclined to think the last update ("Your Jeep is complete and ready to get back...") meant the car was finished. Ha! Got a call from Caliber at 4:30 on the Friday afternoon we were scheduled to pick it up - after returning the rental - explaining that they were missing the hold-down washer for the spare tire with an expected completion date of the following week.

Obscenity was spoken. Thankfully (for the sake of the Caliber folks), the car was ready by the time I got over there at 5PM...my normally cherub-like demeanor had descended past "royally pissed" and was headed into "murderous rage" territory.

---------

Update: Hi Schnelly, we are on track for 01/19/2018. If you need any additional services, just let us know. We're here to help. Caliber Collision
-----
Update: Hi Schnelly. we are nearing completion. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions. Reply "STOP" to cancel.
------
Update: Hi Schnelly. We have updated your estimated completion date from 01/20 to 01/26/2018. Thank you, Caliber Collision Reply "STOP" to cancel.
-----
Update: Hi Schnelly. We have updated your estimated completion date from 01/27 to 01/31/2018. Thank you, Caliber Collision Reply "STOP" to cancel.
------
01/30/2018 10:17AM
Just want to inform you that the tech is currently finishing up the body work on your vehicle and it is getting ready to head into our refinish department. We are pushing to have the vehicle completed tomorrow, but it may be closer towards the end of the week due to the extent of the reassembly. I will be sure to inform you of any delays as we move deeper into the repairs. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. Have a great day.
------
Update: Hi Schnelly. We have updated your estimated completion date from 02/01 to 02/02/2018. Thank you, Caliber Collision Reply "STOP" to cancel.
------
JUST WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR VEHICLE IS CURREHTLY IN OUR REFINISH DEPARTMENT BEING PRIMED AND PREPPED FOR PAINT. ONCE THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN REFINISHED, I WILL BE SURE TO INFORM YOU ON WHEN IT IS IN REASSEMBLY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
------
Just want to inform you that your vehicle is currently in our reassembly department. Due to the extent of the reassembly, we are looking to have your vehicle completed tomorrow closer towards the end of the day. If any delays occur, I will be sure to inform you of those. Any questions or concerns, please contact me.
------
Just want to inform you that your vehicle is in our cleanup department! It is in line to be washed and cleaned up. Once we have done our quality inspection, I will follow up with you on a firmer pickup time so we can get you into your vehicle by the end of the day. Any questions or concerns, please contact me.
-----
Update: Your Jeep is complete and ready to get back to the rhythm of your life. Caliber Collision. Reply "STOP" to cancel.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

Seriously...all that then "ready to get back into the rhythm of your life" FAR OUT, MAN! You got to be kidding me...Oh wait California...You guys are much more "casual" with business dealings...at least these folks are. You are a patient person regardless of what you say about yourself. When did the incident occur, again???

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Where is FlatSixBlahBlah to come guest speak about waiting for a car to get out of the "Refinish Department"?