Daily Driving a Hooptie Fleet

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Daily Driving a Hooptie Fleet

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm

gnat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:02 pm You're going from a Cayenne to a JGC????
Well, my wife drives the '06 Cayenne now, so she'll likely drive the 2014 Acadia and I'll be, in essence, swapping from a 2011 Ford Explorer to a 2014 JGC. So, an upgrade for both of us.

She doesn't exactly squeeze all of the performance out of the Cayenne. Although it's been a good car, it is getting long in the tooth. And after getting used to the suite of electronics on modern cars, I've decided I can't live without a backup camera, bluetooth music streaming, hands free telephone and a modern user interface with the car. At least in a daily driver.

We'll see what happens at the auction tomorrow, though. I just noticed that the seller listed the JGC on the OVE (pre-sale auction offerings) at $17,400. The auction estimate of value is $14,850. I'd go $15,100 or $15,200, but nowhere near $17,000 on that JGC as it's got over 100k miles. But, apparently the seller thinks it's worth over $17,000. No worries if I don't get it.

But, assuming I'm out the door of the auction on the JGC at $15,500 (bid plus about a $300 buyer's fee), then with the Acadia ($13,225 total purchase price), minus the Cayenne S sale price of $6,000, I'm set for a couple of years with nice drivers with under $23,000 to pay off. I feel like that's pretty reasonable. No guarantees the wife thinks that, but I suspect she'll be happy with the Acadia since it has a rear-seat entertainment system for our daughter.

I gotta say that a year's worth of maintenance costs on the Explorer was a big factor in going back to Made in the USA. The Explorer was very reliable, and in those couple of incidences where it did require maintenance, it wasn't an "Oh, shit" experience. A pair of front struts for the Explorer? $140 including shipping and easy DIY install. Had to replace the rear calipers on the Explorer, and I don't recall the exact amount, it was cheap enough that I didn't bat an eye and also an easy DIY install. Bottom line, for SUVs and trucks, made in the USA is as good as anything out there on the market from elsewhere in the world. I don't feel the need to buy something European to get a good quality SUV. Cheap and easy maintenance is a bonus. God, I'm starting to sound like Kalash.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:38 pm

You realize that unlike the later P!gs, you can easily swap out the head unit in yours and get all the features you want?

You're here complaining about needing something to drive in the winter, but it sounds to me you have a good solution right in front of you. The Cayenne won't hesitate as long as you have halfway decent tires on it and would be unstoppable with winter tires.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm

No way would I do what I've already done to the Grand Cherokee to anything German. My pockets are not that deep.

I don't know how the Pig rates for unnecessary features that add weight and complexity...I wanted the Limited trim level because it doesn't have the air suspension system. I have no interest in becoming an air-ride expert.

I was bummed that the GC has a power lift gate - the Cherokee was manual. One less thing to break.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:38 pm

We have a 13 Acadia Denali and it's pretty nice. She'll like that car. Turning radius sucks though.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

After driving it for 6 days, I can say I like almost everything about the Acadia. It took 2 days to realize that it's got a heads-up display, which is pretty cool. The only 2 things I don't like about it are pretty minor: it doesn't have keyless-entry or start. I got used to both of those on my '11 Explorer. It's nice to just have the key fob in your pocket and touch the door handle to unlock it. Also, it's nice not to have to pull the keys out of your pocket, then stick them in the ignition and turn it. Yeah, I know, first world problems, but if Ford had it figured out on an '11 Explorer, I think GMC should have had it on an every-available-option Acadia Denali by 2014. But, I'll try to deal with it.

inconvenience.gif
inconvenience.gif (14.03 MiB) Viewed 2118 times

My favorite option (and one the Explorer didn't have) is the power liftgate. I just like hitting the button on the remote as I'm 20 yards away, and watching that tailgate automatically open. It's not unlike hitting the door popper button on a Lambo and watching the scissor doors pop up. Yesterday I went to the grocery store to buy a quart of cottage cheese and just had to put it in the cargo area (rather than the passenger seat) so I could justify hittin' the tailgate button. Yes, I'm easily amused.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm

OK, as for the 2nd car I'm trying to buy (to replace the '06 Cayenne S), I called it in my earlier post regarding the 2014 JGC Summit. I was high bidder at $14,900, which was right above the auction pre-sale estimate of $14,850, but it was sold on an "IF", meaning the auction has to get approval from the seller. OK, I bid above the auction valuation, plus it is an "AS-IS" sale (rather than a "Ride & Drive" which allows you to inspect for problems before you pay for it), plus it is for sale by the "Repo Department" of a credit union. And it's red. Although red is clearly the best color, for a dealer, you want white, silver, gray or black cars on your lot as they sell a lot quicker. So, all of those factors lead me to believe the seller should be quick to accept my bid. Nope - they reject it and counter-offer at $500 higher. OK, I counteroffer at $15,000 even, but they turned it down. Screw you, then, little credit union in Denver - you aren't going to find a bigger red-car, high-mileage is OK sucker than I am for your repo'd car. It's in this week's auction and I'm interested to see how high it gets bid. I'll bet it doesn't go over $14,000 based on last week's auction.

So, that was on Wednesday. I scouted around the dealers' auction websites and found another interesting car, this time at the Manheim auction in Houston on Thursday. 2013 Jaguar XJL Portfolio. The new XJ body style came out in 2011, but there were 3 big upgrades in 2013: the infotainment system interface was upgraded, they put the excellent Supercharged V-6 from the XF sedan into the XJ and with that engine, you can now get an XJ with AWD. Here's the car:
Jag front.jpg
Jag front.jpg (429.29 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Jag rear.jpg
Jag rear.jpg (268.61 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Jag interior.jpg
Jag interior.jpg (200.31 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
The car has 70k miles and the condition report shows above-average with only a few minor items (a scuff on the bottom of the front spoiler, the sunroof shade doesn't close all the way, the glovebox latch is inop and a rough idle). After researching, all of those should be easily resolved. The auction estimate of value is $15,350. But, there is one glaring issue with the car - it was a theft recovery. It was a no-damage recovery so there is no salvage or branded title (Texas). But you still see it on CarFax. The auction estimate does not take into account that it is a theft-recovery as it just goes off the above-average condition rating and mileage. So, I'm thinking a 20% hit on value, which puts that car at about $12,000. Plus, it is another "AS IS" sale. Sure enough, I'm the high bidder at $12,500. I would have even gone to $13,000. But, nobody bid me higher. However, it was again an "IF" sale. We get to the end of the day and the seller (a small credit union in Dallas) outright rejects the bid - no counteroffer (which is unusual). So, Friday I call down to Houston and ask "no counteroffer?" The lady tells me that the car has been run through several times, but hasn't gotten anywhere near the $15,350 auction value estimate and the credit union wants closer to the $15,350 auction estimate. It is a beautiful car, and I can see myself driving it and these model Jags get very good reviews, so I tell her I'll give them $14,000 for it. She goes "oh, OK, wow, I'll call them right away." But, that was at 11:00 am on Friday and I've heard nothing back, so I'm assuming no deal. Oh well, I guess no one wants my money. And anyway, it would be tough to sell that car in a year or so with the theft recovery on the CarFax, so it's probably for the best.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:16 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm My favorite option (and one the Explorer didn't have) is the power liftgate. I just like hitting the button on the remote as I'm 20 yards away, and watching that tailgate automatically open. It's not unlike hitting the door popper button on a Lambo and watching the scissor doors pop up. Yesterday I went to the grocery store to buy a quart of cottage cheese and just had to put it in the cargo area (rather than the passenger seat) so I could justify hittin' the tailgate button. Yes, I'm easily amused.
Can you close it from the key fob (or at least the driver's door)?

One of my complaints about the P!g is that while it has the open feature, if you accidentally hit the button on the fob or the door you then need to press the button on the tailgate itself to get it to close :x

Opening is convenient, but getting out of the car when it is pouring rain to close the accidentally opened ass end is not so convenient...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:32 pm

So, this morning I run out to the Adesa dealer's auction, which is where I got the Acadia last week. It's smaller than the Manheim auction, but still runs over 1,000 cars through every Tuesday. I've become interested in Cadillacs. (pauses for the laughter to subside)

They've got a 2016 CTS-V with 36,000 miles on it, black on black. I get in, punch the start button, and oh, baby, that freaking car is sa-weet. It's about the size of a 5-series or E-class, which is a little smaller than I want. And although they make them with AWD, this one is RWD. And then there's the matter of the auction value estimate being north of $45,000. Too rich for me. But maybe I'll see you again after a couple more years of depreciation, Mr. CTS-V.

They do put that same engine in the larger Caddy, the XTS, and it also comes with AWD. But, there was nary an XTS at the auction lot, so I didn't get to look at one. However, I'd say an XTS is still out of my price range for a daily driver for at least a couple of more years.

I also looked at the XT5, which is an SUV, but they didn't start building them until 2017 - meaning still pricey. But, the impression I came away with was that if you haven't looked at what Cadillac is offering lately, you should. They are damned impressive.

Now, back to reality. For some reason, the wife is bitching about me buying 2 cars in one week, so I'm really restricted to the ~$15,000 range. I find a high-mileage 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel (which is the top model other than the SRT8), and like the Acadia, it is absolutely loaded - rear seat entertainment system, captain's chairs in the 2nd row, all of the electronic safety nannies. Every available option except the hemi-engine (which is fine as the V6 that comes standard is an excellent engine). It's very high mileage (142k), but drives out well on the test track and around the auction lot. Clearly well cared-for and in very nice condition. Black on black color combo, which looks good. Looks basically like this:

Durango.jpg
Durango.jpg (288.41 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

It books out at $11,800, but the dealer is selling it "AS-IS" and didn't have a pre-sale inspection done, so there's no condition report. That means that unless you do what I did and go in person to see it, you aren't going to bid on the internet sight-unseen. Three-row SUVs are easy to sell, even with high mileage. So, I figure I can get that car for under $12,000, drive it for a year and then upgrade to something a little more exciting (an XJL or an XTS-V). So that's the plan - I'll let you know what happens.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:16 pm
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm My favorite option (and one the Explorer didn't have) is the power liftgate. I just like hitting the button on the remote as I'm 20 yards away, and watching that tailgate automatically open. It's not unlike hitting the door popper button on a Lambo and watching the scissor doors pop up. Yesterday I went to the grocery store to buy a quart of cottage cheese and just had to put it in the cargo area (rather than the passenger seat) so I could justify hittin' the tailgate button. Yes, I'm easily amused.
Can you close it from the key fob (or at least the driver's door)?

One of my complaints about the P!g is that while it has the open feature, if you accidentally hit the button on the fob or the door you then need to press the button on the tailgate itself to get it to close :x

Opening is convenient, but getting out of the car when it is pouring rain to close the accidentally opened ass end is not so convenient...
It has a button on the dash to open and close it, plus you can close it with the key fob, so I think it won't have that PITA.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 am

So, I got the Durango at the auction yesterday. They had detailed it prior to the auction and had done an inspection and gave it a "ride & drive" guarantee, so I had to pay about $1,500 more for it than I anticipated. But, it was in better condition than I thought it was from my initial look at it on Monday. It really drives well, and I'd rate it a very minor notch above the Acadia - it has the keyless entry & go feature, plus has the capless gas tank (like the Explorer had, but the Acadia still has an old fashioned gas cap). Little things, but once you get used to them, it's annoying to go backwards in automotive evolution. Plus, the thing sounds great - very nice exhaust note with an upgraded dual exhaust that comes with the Citadel package. It feels more powerful than the Acadia - it has 295 hp versus 288 for the Acadia, but 10 ft/lbs less torque. Edmunds.com says 8.1 seconds 0-60 for the Durango and estimates 8.6 for the Acadia. It's got twin screens for the rear entertainment system (versus one in the Acadia) and each screen has its own HDMI input so the kiddos can watch different things. Bottom line, I'm very pleased with it. Here are a few pics:

Front right, 2019-11-20.jpg
Front right, 2019-11-20.jpg (326.88 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Right rear, 2019-11-20.jpg
Right rear, 2019-11-20.jpg (317.16 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Dash panel.jpg
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys: