Another Tesla driver idiot...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Another Tesla driver idiot...

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 am
gnat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 am
This is exactly what it is. The manufacturer knows that it is not 100% which is why all the materials for it say that the driver has to stay attentive and ready to take over in an emergency.

The object, of course, is to make roads safer by removing the average idiot from the equation. Unfortunately they are depending on the average idiot to help test the functionality and the said average idiot would rather do anything than pay attention to the road.

Really the mode should be restricted to just those that can show they are capable of fulfilling their role in the system (e.g. multiple multi-hour tests where their attention is constantly monitored and there random events they have to react to).
I agree. Give the mode to people who have agreed to undergo training and have promised to report on testing. But I think autonomous cars in general have a major issue: we're never going to get all the benefits unless all cars are autonomous. People will do dumb things (mostly right in front of me) so the safety of autonomous cars will always be a question until you can teach a car to plan for rationality but be prepared for dumbness. Take humans out of the decision making process and what you'll eventually have is an efficient mode of transport that takes you door to door. Try and tell people they are no longer allowed to drive their 996 on the turnpike, though.
It's more than just other drivers though. They also have to account for trash on the road, wild life, or the idiot human playing in traffic.

I do believe we have reached the point where cars can legitimately carry the compute power (meaning that it fits in the car without compromising other aspects) to manage the problem. While I think power will continue to improve, it's the sensors and logic where we will see the greatest improvements for awhile. I also think we are close to being good enough as far as ability goes, but as humans are writing the code there will always be risk of glitches and the result of that can be catastrophic.

This is why an engaged human behind the wheel will continue to be critical for the foreseeable future. Some what illogically I think as the systems improve it will be even more important to have an engaged and able meat sack backup behind the wheel. My reasoning is that as things improved there will be larger gaps between "events" and that will engender more complacency.

I agree with your final assessment though. All we have to do is look at how fuel economy restrictions or the death of the stick are accepted from the enthusiast crowd.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 am
gnat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 am
This is exactly what it is. The manufacturer knows that it is not 100% which is why all the materials for it say that the driver has to stay attentive and ready to take over in an emergency.

The object, of course, is to make roads safer by removing the average idiot from the equation. Unfortunately they are depending on the average idiot to help test the functionality and the said average idiot would rather do anything than pay attention to the road.

Really the mode should be restricted to just those that can show they are capable of fulfilling their role in the system (e.g. multiple multi-hour tests where their attention is constantly monitored and there random events they have to react to).
I agree. Give the mode to people who have agreed to undergo training and have promised to report on testing. But I think autonomous cars in general have a major issue: we're never going to get all the benefits unless all cars are autonomous. People will do dumb things (mostly right in front of me) so the safety of autonomous cars will always be a question until you can teach a car to plan for rationality but be prepared for dumbness. Take humans out of the decision making process and what you'll eventually have is an efficient mode of transport that takes you door to door. Try and tell people they are no longer allowed to drive their 996 on the turnpike, though.
The average idiot driver is a long way from being safe. Just with the driver aids available in normal cars i.e.: AEB, Blind Spot Warning, Auto cruise control spacing,...etc are making people less attentive to driving. Seems no-one uses their mirrors and now can spend more time looking at their phones depending on the driver aids to warn them they are stupid or to apply the brakes to prevent an accident. It is my opinion that those aids are making for worse drivers.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:21 pm

So it's been awhile but we have a new autopilot idiot.
Tesla Model S on autopilot slammed into a police car because the driver was watching a movie on his phone, authorities say

A driver in North Carolina was watching a movie while driving his Tesla Model S when it careened into a police car, authorities said.

The man was charged with two crimes: not moving over for police, and watching TV while driving.

There have been many past incidents of careless drivers putting too much faith in the driver-assistance software, Autopilot, which has been criticized for its name.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am

What could possibly go wrong? :shock:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

gnat wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am What could possibly go wrong? :shock:
Wonder if those are 240 or 480 versions? Regardless you wouldn't catch me anywhere close to those...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 am

Tesla should adopt and modify the PCNA slogan.

"It's not about the cars...It's about the stupid people who drive them."
Tesla driver falls asleep behind wheel of car going 93mph on autopilot

The Canadian driver is not the first to be caught sleeping behind the wheel of a Tesla (REUTERS)
A Canadian man has been charged with dangerous driving after being caught asleep at the wheel of a Tesla car on autopilot that was going at 150kmh (93mph).

Police in Alberta were called following reports of 2019 Tesla Model S speeding on a highway near the town of Ponoka.

Nobody could be seen in the front seats, which were both reclined, officers said.

Alberta Police said: "We received a complaint of a car speeding on Highway 2 near Ponoka. "The car appeared to be self-driving, travelling over 140 kmh with both front seats completely reclined and occupants appeared to be asleep.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 am Tesla should adopt and modify the PCNA slogan.

LOL when TCNA forms the slogan will be "All Hail Elon Musk!"
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:52 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 am Tesla should adopt and modify the PCNA slogan.

LOL when TCNA forms the slogan will be "All Hail Elon Musk!...and pass that doobie!"
FIFY.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Bit on the news about a local power company contributing to a country wide charging network and they interviewed a Tesla driver. They asked him about the upkeep (because that has a lot to do with charging??) and his response was:

Moron: It's easy as there are no moving parts and no motor.

:roll:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:33 pm

Exactly the kind of customer Elon(aka pass the doobie) depends on.
gnat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm Bit on the news about a local power company contributing to a country wide charging network and they interviewed a Tesla driver. They asked him about the upkeep (because that has a lot to do with charging??) and his response was:

Moron: It's easy as there are no moving parts and no motor.

:roll: