Any compelling new phones out?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Any compelling new phones out?

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 pm KEEP YOUR PLASMAS!!!
I had a high end Pioneer Elite 50 from when 50" was rare and expensive. Bought it in 2000 I think and have still never found a rival for quality. I killed it with its own remote and my TV life has sucked ever since. I finally settled on an LG OLED 55 after returning 5 LCD pieces of garbage. The OLED is good and gives you true black like a plasma, but it has the refresh and motion issues of LCDs :(

Kill anyone that threatens you plasmas and take then to your grave!
From my cold dead hands...!
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 pm

I had a high end Pioneer Elite 50 from when 50" was rare and expensive. Bought it in 2000 I think and have still never found a rival for quality. I killed it with its own remote and my TV life has sucked ever since. I finally settled on an LG OLED 55 after returning 5 LCD pieces of garbage. The OLED is good and gives you true black like a plasma, but it has the refresh and motion issues of LCDs :(

All I own are Panasonic plasmas... best image quality since the Sony Trinitron Flat CRT.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 pm

I have the Galaxy S10 5G, upgraded last summer. I like the larger screen size, similar to the Note. The camera is good, mainly useful for wide-angle shots. Other than larger screen size and incrementally better camera, I don’t see a huge difference over the S9. But, I lease my phone and the upgrade to the S10 5G was only a couple of bucks per month.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:57 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 pm

All I own are Panasonic plasmas... best image quality since the Sony Trinitron Flat CRT.
All three of mine are Panasonic, too. I believe the 24" flat screen CRT in the basement is a Sony. :o

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 am

I've read some bad things about the LG OLED: Screen burn-in issues, motion blurring and LED burn out. Of course most people write a review only if they have problems. The professional testers like them for quality of picture, sound and black levels. The youngest kid recent bought a 60"LG OLED and he says the pic is astounding.

Back on subject: I can never understand why people want to lug around a phone the size of a Tablet. They barely fit in the back pocket of jeans much less in a 996 :shock: I know people use them as portable computers but Geebus! their big AND heavy. No Thanks. I use my phone for texting, driving directions, phone calls and occasionally Solitaire when bored and waiting.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:31 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 am

I've read some bad things about the LG OLED: Screen burn-in issues, motion blurring and LED burn out. Of course most people write a review only if they have problems. The professional testers like them for quality of picture, sound and black levels. The youngest kid recent bought a 60"LG OLED and he says the pic is astounding.
OLED is subject to burn in issues, but in my experience it is far superior to Plasma in that regard. It only took a few weeks of NBC's logo being always stuck in the SD feed corner for 2 hours of news per day for that stupid peacock to forever be visible on the screen (and then it got a sibling when they started broadcasting in HD :x). The OLED has seen similar watching patterns, but there haven't been any burn in issues. Based on how the screens work (very similar to Plasma) it is of course possible for burn in to happen, but in my experience people that complain about OLED burn in either have never owned or seriously used an OLED TV or their experience is with smaller OLED screens that had static images display for days/weeks at a time.

Other than it not being my old Plasma I really only have 2 complaints with my OLED.

First it is a stupid curved screen as they didn't offer a flat model that year. Most stuff is OK, but every now and then something will have details on the sides and it looks all funky if you aren't sitting dead center.

Second is that the screen has proven to be exceptionally fragile. Accidents happened with the Plasma and it survived just fine until I let things get the better of me and intentionally threw the remote directly at the screen. Shortly after getting the OLED the wife got pissed at something and threw her eye glasses on the coffee table, they bounced off and hit the screen (roughly 6 feet from where she was sitting), and they punctured the screen. Exactly like Plasma the entire screen was then useless. Thankfully LG only wanted a few hundred for a new screen rather than having to spend another $5k on a whole new set. Now we have a barrier in place to keep the kids out of arms reach and things have gotten ugly when the older one start tossing things around the room...
Back on subject: I can never understand why people want to lug around a phone the size of a Tablet. They barely fit in the back pocket of jeans much less in a 996 :shock: I know people use them as portable computers but Geebus! their big AND heavy. No Thanks. I use my phone for texting, driving directions, phone calls and occasionally Solitaire when bored and waiting.
I used to feel the same and when I went from a iPhone 4 (or 4s?) to my 6S+ I spent months agonizing if I was going to go with the normal or plus model as I felt the plus would be too big even though the extra space would be nice. Turned out I love the larger phone size and anything smaller just feels weird now. I can fit two phones of that size (e.g. my work iPhone 7+ and Pixel 3XL) nicely in my front pocket since I don't qualify for skinny jeans anymore :lol:

The wife is upset that her new 11 Pro doesn't fit nicely in the ash tray like her old 5 does ;)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:02 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:31 am
Second is that the screen has proven to be exceptionally fragile. Accidents happened with the Plasma and it survived just fine until I let things get the better of me and intentionally threw the remote directly at the screen. Shortly after getting the OLED the wife got pissed at something and threw her eye glasses on the coffee table, they bounced off and hit the screen (roughly 6 feet from where she was sitting), and they punctured the screen. Exactly like Plasma the entire screen was then useless. Thankfully LG only wanted a few hundred for a new screen rather than having to spend another $5k on a whole new set. Now we have a barrier in place to keep the kids out of arms reach and things have gotten ugly when the older one start tossing things around the room...

The wife is upset that her new 11 Pro doesn't fit nicely in the ash tray like her old 5 does ;)
#1: Get a wrist tether for the remote! I've never thrown anything at our TV's but back in my drinking days when the Cornhuskers would consistently lose to Oklahoma I can't tell you how many TV's I've kicked over! :shock:

#2: See your wife's issue is exactly what I talked about with the new ginormous phones!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:20 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:02 am

#1: Get a wrist tether for the remote! I've never thrown anything at our TV's but back in my drinking days when the Cornhuskers would consistently lose to Oklahoma I can't tell you how many TV's I've kicked over! :shock:

#2: See your wife's issue is exactly what I talked about with the new ginormous phones!
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/8 ... st12473504

I guess I just need to get her a bigger pair of

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 am

OLED is subject to burn in issues, but in my experience it is far superior to Plasma in that regard. It only took a few weeks of NBC's logo being always stuck in the SD feed corner for 2 hours of news per day for that stupid peacock to forever be visible on the screen (and then it got a sibling when they started broadcasting in HD :x). The OLED has seen similar watching patterns, but there haven't been any burn in issues. Based on how the screens work (very similar to Plasma) it is of course possible for burn in to happen, but in my experience people that complain about OLED burn in either have never owned or seriously used an OLED TV or their experience is with smaller OLED screens that had static images display for days/weeks at a time.

Other than it not being my old Plasma I really only have 2 complaints with my OLED.

First it is a stupid curved screen as they didn't offer a flat model that year. Most stuff is OK, but every now and then something will have details on the sides and it looks all funky if you aren't sitting dead center.

I used to feel the same and when I went from a iPhone 4 (or 4s?) to my 6S+ I spent months agonizing if I was going to go with the normal or plus model as I felt the plus would be too big even though the extra space would be nice. Turned out I love the larger phone size and anything smaller just feels weird now. I can fit two phones of that size (e.g. my work iPhone 7+ and Pixel 3XL) nicely in my front pocket since I don't qualify for skinny jeans anymore :lol:

Plasma has the best contrast resolution and color reproduction, IMHO. It also handles frame rate appropriately. Both Panasonic and Sony have strong footings in the broadcast and film industry and so they understand why you don't want to fool with motion too much. Unfortunately, companies like LG and Samsung both feel the need to overclock frames to give it a more "smoooooth" look, but what happens is the dropframe-conversion (e.g. 24 fps to 60 fps) makes a nice cinematic feel look like it was recorded with a home camcorder.

Sony was actively involved with the R&D for OLED. They admitted that LCD was bad. Lacked the contrast, black level, and the color temp made everything look blue and milky. Funny thing, the benchmark standard for the Sony demonstration was their Trinitron picture tubes. Before OLED, plasma was the closest thing to the specs of the Trinitron. That was a nice admission given the fact, that Sony didn't sell plasmas, but instead peddled their lowly LCD technology.

OLED has the most promise. My father in law just purchased a Vizio OLED and the motion and images look really good to me, but my friend's new LG is crap! I can't stand watching movies on it. I can handle normal broadcasts like news and sports, but not movies. It kills the look. The Vizio is closer to the plasma. My wife always tells me, the plasmas just look the best. And she's right. The colors are right. The motion is right. The resolution is right. Win win win.

Therefore, I'm not selling my Plasmas!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:49 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:20 am
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/8 ... st12473504

I guess I just need to get her a bigger pair of
[/quote]

I would love to hear that conversation...

Was that really her back in 2015 on RL(dammit)?!