Any compelling new phones out?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Any compelling new phones out?

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:55 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am
Plasma has the best contrast resolution and color reproduction, IMHO. It also handles frame rate appropriately. Both Panasonic and Sony have strong footings in the broadcast and film industry and so they understand why you don't want to fool with motion too much. Unfortunately, companies like LG and Samsung both feel the need to overclock frames to give it a more "smoooooth" look, but what happens is the dropframe-conversion (e.g. 24 fps to 60 fps) makes a nice cinematic feel look like it was recorded with a home camcorder.

Therefore, I'm not selling my Plasmas!
Not sure what you said in the first paragraph, but I agree!

Why did everyone stop making plasmas as the newer technology seems so glitchy?

I'm hanging on to my plasmas as well.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am Unfortunately, companies like LG and Samsung both feel the need to overclock frames to give it a more "smoooooth" look, but what happens is the dropframe-conversion (e.g. 24 fps to 60 fps) makes a nice cinematic feel look like it was recorded with a home camcorder.
What I don't understand is how people don't notice that horrid effect. I have noticed a correlation between people that are bothered by the effect and those that can see the normal frequency of fluorescent lights flickering.
OLED has the most promise. My father in law just purchased a Vizio OLED and the motion and images look really good to me, but my friend's new LG is crap! I can't stand watching movies on it. I can handle normal broadcasts like news and sports, but not movies. It kills the look. The Vizio is closer to the plasma. My wife always tells me, the plasmas just look the best. And she's right. The colors are right. The motion is right. The resolution is right. Win win win.
The last I heard (year or so ago) all OLED panels were made by LG regardless of who was branding the TV. Has that changed?

My bet is your friend just needs to turn all the picture crap off on the LG. It will look as terrible as an LCD when that garbage is turned on. The trade off is sports look like crap (soccer is the worst as you see the ball jump from one spot to the next and following the puck in hockey is impossible), but we don't watch much sports so turning all that crap off greatly improves our normal viewing.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:55 am Why did everyone stop making plasmas as the newer technology seems so glitchy?
Costs were not going down, LCDs were kicking the crap out of them in the inches per dollar game, and environmental restrictions/power costs (Plasma uses a crap ton of power compared to an OLED or LCD).

There just aren't enough of us that can tell and appreciate the difference to make it a viable product line anymore :(

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am Unfortunately, companies like LG and Samsung both feel the need to overclock frames to give it a more "smoooooth" look, but what happens is the dropframe-conversion (e.g. 24 fps to 60 fps) makes a nice cinematic feel look like it was recorded with a home camcorder.
What I don't understand is how people don't notice that horrid effect. I have noticed a correlation between people that are bothered by the effect and those that can see the normal frequency of fluorescent lights flickering.
OLED has the most promise. My father in law just purchased a Vizio OLED and the motion and images look really good to me, but my friend's new LG is crap! I can't stand watching movies on it. I can handle normal broadcasts like news and sports, but not movies. It kills the look. The Vizio is closer to the plasma. My wife always tells me, the plasmas just look the best. And she's right. The colors are right. The motion is right. The resolution is right. Win win win.
The last I heard (year or so ago) all OLED panels were made by LG regardless of who was branding the TV. Has that changed?

My bet is your friend just needs to turn all the picture crap off on the LG. It will look as terrible as an LCD when that garbage is turned on. The trade off is sports look like crap (soccer is the worst as you see the ball jump from one spot to the next and following the puck in hockey is impossible), but we don't watch much sports so turning all that crap off greatly improves our normal viewing.
That's a good question about the manufacturing of OLED. I don't really know. I wouldn't be surprised. But I do know that when my father worked in upper management of Panasonic, the Japanese would NEVER under any circumstances go outside of their country for design and manufacturing of their equipment. It was a dishonor for them. They would collaborate among themselves > Hitachi - Sony - Ikegami - Panasonic <, but never go to Korea or China. Things have changed and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

In American, we all adhere to the 60 Hz cycles/sec power standard. If you go to UK, it's 50 Hz. Therefore, fluorescent lighting would flicker to your eyes because our brains have been "tuned' to 60 Hz. Same thing goes for television. If you go to the UK, you might see a slight flicker in the video images. The brits won't see it, but it could drive you bonkers. Even give you a headache.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 am

Hey, has anybody seen the "Any compelling new phones out?" thread? I stumbled into here looking for it, but I'm obviously lost.

3f55e1985c27b8e75c440b2c59b81ab8e8c4a084dcf1d14534b96b0d2803cd82.jpg
3f55e1985c27b8e75c440b2c59b81ab8e8c4a084dcf1d14534b96b0d2803cd82.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 am

I try my best to avoid anything LG. We bought one of LG's French door lower freezer refrigerators when we moved here in 2005. It fit the space and the wife liked the handles( :shock: ) It was the biggest piece of shit appliance I have ever owned! I thought GE small appliances were bad, but they got nothing on LG's early fridges. I fought a myriad of fatal issues that I got tired of fighting. Too many service calls and repair dudes telling me "these are our bread and butter lately." After numerous mother boards, digital display modules, freezer fan motors and having to have a digital thermometer in the fridge and freezer to prevent food storage issues and wood floor damage due to leaking freezer water I pulled the plug. Literally! When we went to get a replacement guess what? Only two fit the space GE and LG. Guess which one the wife liked the handles on... So I threatened the sales guy, the owner of the store, LG and bought an extended warrantee(which I never do) held my nose and bought another one. Knock on wood this one has been acceptable, but I'm one of those once bitten twice shy kind of guys.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 am Hey, has anybody seen the "Any compelling new phones out?" thread? I stumbled into here looking for it, but I'm obviously lost.
Nope! No thread like that around here. The new phones are too big and heavy IMHO! :roll:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm I use the GalaxyNote for normal crap - email, taking photos, Slacking, etc. Voice calls - heh...maybe one a week. I also use it with cheapo earbuds at the gym, so I'm reluctant to give up the 1/8" headphone jack.

The camera on the Note8 is still more than sufficient for my needs. The new phones have more cameras, but the main camera on my existing phone takes awesome photos.

For the first several years of the smartphone "revolution" (i.e. post BlackBerry), I was alternating between Android and iOS every 1.5 years to remain platform agnostic, but this no longer seems necessary.

Sounds like you're pretty set. Honestly, I'm the worst person to give you this advice. :lol: '

I feel like the support for the phones get shorter and shorter. You might as well just hold out until your current phone is not supported anymore. There was outrage when Android 10 was released and Samsung said the Galaxy 8 and older models wouldn't be supported. Meanwhile the Pixel 1 was getting the Android 10 push, which is a generation older than the Galaxy 8. Crap like that I feel like is just going to get more common. Stupid tactics to get us to update earlier than we need to...

Considering there were so many pitfalls and potholes for me to fall into, I feel like I got lucky with the Pixel 3. I bought it primarily because my wife has the Pixel 2, and when she had an issue with it the customer service from Google was phenomenal. The only thing that's on my mind is Google gives Pixel owners 4 years of free unlimited Google drive space for storage of photos and videos. So I'm either going to end up paying for that service eventually or I'll be buying a Pixel 8.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 am

I try my best to avoid anything LG. We bought one of LG's French door lower freezer refrigerators when we moved here in 2005. It fit the space and the wife liked the handles( :shock: ) It was the biggest piece of shit appliance I have ever owned! I thought GE small appliances were bad, but they got nothing on LG's early fridges. I fought a myriad of fatal issues that I got tired of fighting. Too many service calls and repair dudes telling me "these are our bread and butter lately." After numerous mother boards, digital display modules, freezer fan motors and having to have a digital thermometer in the fridge and freezer to prevent food storage issues and wood floor damage due to leaking freezer water I pulled the plug. Literally! When we went to get a replacement guess what? Only two fit the space GE and LG. Guess which one the wife liked the handles on... So I threatened the sales guy, the owner of the store, LG and bought an extended warrantee(which I never do) held my nose and bought another one. Knock on wood this one has been acceptable, but I'm one of those once bitten twice shy kind of guys.
The only LG appliance that I own is a microwave. One of those custom install models that mounts above the stove. Does it work reliably? Nope! Randomly causes a short which in turns throws a breaker. Ugh! I'm too lazy to replace it. It's cheaper for me to run down to the basement and reset the breaker when my wife screams, "The Microwave is off again!!!" :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:28 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 am
The only LG appliance that I own is a microwave. One of those custom install models that mounts above the stove. Does it work reliably? Nope! Randomly causes a short which in turns throws a breaker. Ugh! I'm too lazy to replace it. It's cheaper for me to run down to the basement and reset the breaker when my wife screams, "The Microwave is off again!!!" :lol:
LG = Garbage