I think one of my plasma tv is dying

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: I think one of my plasma tv is dying

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am

gnat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am
32wildbilly wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 am Different HDMI cable in a different input plug and...it's back! It comes and goes. Two minutes after taking pic it is perfectly clear.
Bummer.

I'll be happy to trade a slightly used C4S for an OLED TV. Since we all know 996s are crap you'll be able to tell the wife about the awesome deal you made.
That would be a good deal, but you wouldn't like the car as it has too much paint on it... :roll:

Speaking of paint...is the P!G back yet?(since you are ignoring me in your thread) ;)
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am
gnat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am
Bummer.

I'll be happy to trade a slightly used C4S for an OLED TV. Since we all know 996s are crap you'll be able to tell the wife about the awesome deal you made.
That would be a good deal, but you wouldn't like the car as it has too much paint on it... :roll:
A dirt/gravel road or two should get a nice layer of grim on it to hide all the extra paint for the next 20 years while it wears off naturally.

Though I'll have to find some new roads for that. They've paved all the roads I used to have a blast throwing the 996 and e30 down :cry:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 am

Got tired of waiting for LG to get the 43 OLED set to the U.S. So I broke down and got a QLED from Samsung. While I didn't want to go this big the wife talked me into the 50". I guess the kitchen area is going to be like a (small) home theater area now.
fullsizeoutput_674.jpeg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:11 am

Will be interesting to hear your take on the picture quality.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:11 am Will be interesting to hear your take on the picture quality.
I am hardly qualified to review, but I will definitely have an opinion...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 am Got tired of waiting for LG to get the 43 OLED set to the U.S. So I broke down and got a QLED from Samsung. While I didn't want to go this big the wife talked me into the 50". I guess the kitchen area is going to be like a (small) home theater area now.

fullsizeoutput_674.jpeg
I went from a HD to 4K TV recently and while it wasn't the jump from SD to HD, it still is amazing. I bought a TCL, which is a cheap Chinese brand but the picture got great reviews. TVs are so cheap right now.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Well shit. 2yr old just flung something, it took a bad bounce, and took out the OLED. Apparently like the first time it barely touched the thing and took it out :evil:

I love the picture quality, but I'm not sure I'm interested in plunking down another $3-6k for another one right now. Maybe we'll do the no TV thing for awhile (cause I ain't going backwards to LCD). What can possibly go wrong with that idea when you have a 2 yr old and 3yr old...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Well I'm not glad to spend the money, but OLED prices have dropp substantially since I last looked. $1300 is downright reasonable for what I was expecting (and makes the idea of a $1200 replacement screen (if one can be found) even less palatable.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Speaking of failed tv's the 42" plasma in the kitchen healed itself. No more pixelation/distortions down the center of the screen. The new set is still laying on the dining room table. Someday I'll get around to setting it up in the MB...someday.
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm Well shit. 2yr old just flung something, it took a bad bounce, and took out the OLED. Apparently like the first time it barely touched the thing and took it out :evil:

I love the picture quality, but I'm not sure I'm interested in plunking down another $3-6k for another one right now. Maybe we'll do the no TV thing for awhile (cause I ain't going backwards to LCD). What can possibly go wrong with that idea when you have a 2 yr old and 3yr old...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am

gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:47 pm Well I'm not glad to spend the money, but OLED prices have dropp substantially since I last looked. $1300 is downright reasonable for what I was expecting (and makes the idea of a $1200 replacement screen (if one can be found) even less palatable.
After OLED, you're splitting image quality hairs. Get a crazy deal at Black Friday Gnat. I'm sure you'll be able to find killer deals on 50" - 60" OLED for under $500 IMHO.

Almost 15+ years ago during an NAB conference, Sony, who ruled the display market since the 80s, ate crow and admitted their LCD was subpar to Plasma but even Plasma could not match the contrast/gamma capability of their Trinitron broadcast CRT monitor. Sony then shifted gears and announced research and development findings on OLED. The chroma, gamma, phase, and contrast quality measurements exceeded all displays to date. That said a lot coming from a company that had dumped billions into the lowly LCD technology.