I think one of my plasma tv is dying

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: I think one of my plasma tv is dying

Post by gnat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 am

b3freak wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:47 pm Well I'm not glad to spend the money, but OLED prices have dropp substantially since I last looked. $1300 is downright reasonable for what I was expecting (and makes the idea of a $1200 replacement screen (if one can be found) even less palatable.
After OLED, you're splitting image quality hairs. Get a crazy deal at Black Friday Gnat. I'm sure you'll be able to find killer deals on 50" - 60" OLED for under $500 IMHO.

Almost 15+ years ago during an NAB conference, Sony, who ruled the display market since the 80s, ate crow and admitted their LCD was subpar to Plasma but even Plasma could not match the contrast/gamma capability of their Trinitron broadcast CRT monitor. Sony then shifted gears and announced research and development findings on OLED. The chroma, gamma, phase, and contrast quality measurements exceeded all displays to date. That said a lot coming from a company that had dumped billions into the lowly LCD technology.
I get it's cheaper, but I just don't get how people can watch LCDs. Just terrible. And the blacks (or lack thereof)!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm

So I ended up getting another LG OLED (the 2020 CX 55") and I'm not sure I won't be using Costco's generous return policy...

We can't seem to get the colors quite right. Nor can we seem to get the soap opera effect to go away completely. The audio is also absolute shit. Not sure how people are claiming this is the best sound they've ever heard from a TV...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Not having had an LG tv I should stay out of this but I think the LG company sucks ass. There I've said it.
gnat wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm So I ended up getting another LG OLED (the 2020 CX 55") and I'm not sure I won't be using Costco's generous return policy...

We can't seem to get the colors quite right. Nor can we seem to get the soap opera effect to go away completely. The audio is also absolute shit. Not sure how people are claiming this is the best sound they've ever heard from a TV...
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 pm Not having had an LG tv I should stay out of this but I think the LG company sucks ass. There I've said it.
gnat wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm So I ended up getting another LG OLED (the 2020 CX 55") and I'm not sure I won't be using Costco's generous return policy...

They continue to stay at the top of the heap for OLEDs. Sony apparently took top spots last year, but LG has taken most spots back for this year.

I wish Pioneer was still in the TV business and competed in OLED. I still miss that old Elite plasma :cry:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm a follower of Consumer Reports and they highly recommend most of LG products from fridges, washer/dryers and TVs. My problem with LG is their customer no-service department is as bad as some 3D printer companies customer no-service. 8-)
gnat wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 pm Not having had an LG tv I should stay out of this but I think the LG company sucks ass. There I've said it.
They continue to stay at the top of the heap for OLEDs. Sony apparently took top spots last year, but LG has taken most spots back for this year.

I wish Pioneer was still in the TV business and competed in OLED. I still miss that old Elite plasma :cry:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 am

Ok so I finally ordered and hung on the wall between the kitchen and eating area a Samsung 43" QLED tv to replace the dying plasma. The picture is fabulous and I'm still messing with settings. Only problem so far is the less than favorable side viewing "washout". It doesn't appear dark from the side only white washout which is irritating. The tv is mounted on the wall between the two open rooms that are a combined length of 27 feet. Also complicating things is the five 6' tall casement windows and a double sliding door letting in copious amounts of light. The tv is on a pivot mount so it requires flipping back and forth as you move between the two areas.

All that taken into account it does have a quality picture.

Next I'll put the 50"(that I've had forever still in the box) in the master bedroom if I can get the wife to let me disconnect her for a few minutes.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am

I now have TWO of the 42" Roku TV's - I paid $50 for one, and my pop gave me the other one to get rid of it.

At an average cost of $25 each, these things are freakin' awesome.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 am

Ok I admit to being old so "screw you guys", but whats up with new tv's that have zero control buttons on them. You know volume, channel, etc. I realize I have a remote and if I down load the app I can run it with my cellphone but you know what I don't always carry either of two items around with me 100% of the time. Sometimes I get up and walk past the kitchen tv going to the other area and would like to turn up/down the volume. Nope! Can't be done manually.

Cheap Bastards!

Now get off my lawn!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 am Ok I admit to being old so "screw you guys", but whats up with new tv's that have zero control buttons on them. You know volume, channel, etc. I realize I have a remote and if I down load the app I can run it with my cellphone but you know what I don't always carry either of two items around with me 100% of the time. Sometimes I get up and walk past the kitchen tv going to the other area and would like to turn up/down the volume. Nope! Can't be done manually.

Cheap Bastards!

Now get off my lawn!
Yeah controls on the TV have been gone for a couple of decades now. Hell, my OLEDs haven't even had power buttons on them.

You could add a sound bar to it. You'll get better sound and most still have volume buttons on them.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am

I broke down and replaced the TV, DVD player and surround sound system in our basement home theater a couple of weeks ago. Replaced a 10+ year old 67" Samsung TV and Sony combo DVD/Blue Ray surround system that cost over $3,000 back then with the following:

75" TCL Roku TV 4K UHD Cost $678
ONN Roku Soundbar $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Subwoofer $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Rear Surround Speakers $119
Sony Blue Ray/DVD Player $89

Total Cost: $1,144 plus tax
Total Time Spent Driving to Walmart, Selecting, Purchasing, Hauling Home and Setting It Up (with a buddy's help): 2 hours

System works great, everything synchronized on one remote, and although I'm not a video- nor audiophile, it looks and sounds awesome to me. By far the most painless, cheapest and best performing system we've had in our home theater in the 23 years since we finished our basement.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver