I think one of my plasma tv is dying

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: I think one of my plasma tv is dying

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 am

My Panasonic plasmas have controls on them and they were manufactured in 2012!

I plan on a sound bar in the master BR but not the kitchen as I don't want even more crap hanging on that wall. Besides "we" don't watch anything in the kitchen that would benefit from improved sound. I.E." HGTV, Dr Phil, The Peoples Court, old people shows, etc...
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 am Yeah controls on the TV have been gone for a couple of decades now. Hell, my OLEDs haven't even had power buttons on them.

You could add a sound bar to it. You'll get better sound and most still have volume buttons on them.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am 75" TCL Roku TV 4K UHD Cost $678
ONN Roku Soundbar $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Subwoofer $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Rear Surround Speakers $119
Did you buy some Roku stock first so you'd get some money back? :lol:

I like the idea of Roku better than the implementation. Every damn app has a different interface for controls. Drives me nuts.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 am My Panasonic plasmas have controls on them and they were manufactured in 2012!

I plan on a sound bar in the master BR but not the kitchen as I don't want even more crap hanging on that wall. Besides "we" don't watch anything in the kitchen that would benefit from improved sound. I.E." HGTV, Dr Phil, The Peoples Court, old people shows, etc...
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 am Yeah controls on the TV have been gone for a couple of decades now. Hell, my OLEDs haven't even had power buttons on them.

You could add a sound bar to it. You'll get better sound and most still have volume buttons on them.
LONG LIVE Panasonic Plasma Televisions! We still have three in our house producing amazing HD images.

The resolution is right... the color is right... the motion is right... the sound is... well... the sound is just ok. hahaha

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 am

Yeah I'm down to two in the house now. :cry: I must admit the QLED is growing on me as the picture is very sharp...
b3freak wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 am My Panasonic plasmas have controls on them and they were manufactured in 2012!

LONG LIVE Panasonic Plasma Televisions! We still have three in our house producing amazing HD images.

The resolution is right... the color is right... the motion is right... the sound is... well... the sound is just ok. hahaha
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am

NO SHIT! How does "fast forward" mean a different thing for every app on the same goddamn TV???

Forget about trying to turn on closed-captions for that obscure pr0n you want to watch...
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am
FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am 75" TCL Roku TV 4K UHD Cost $678
ONN Roku Soundbar $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Subwoofer $129
ONN Roku Bluetooth Rear Surround Speakers $119
Did you buy some Roku stock first so you'd get some money back? :lol:

I like the idea of Roku better than the implementation. Every damn app has a different interface for controls. Drives me nuts.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sitedrifter

Post by sitedrifter » Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm

b3freak wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 am

yes - but you won't miss it when it's gone

I'm not much of a TV watcher - but I do like a nice display for sports ( golf & MLB junkie)

r.i.p. to my beloved 60" last gen Panny Plasma that hung gloriously on my wall for 8 years
an errant trip off the second stair and I blast into the wall and a bookshelf speaker get's knocked
into the display
so I get what I think is new feature from CBS Sports about the target area around the green

[img]

NOPE - - it's a disturbance in the plasma and the next day the thing shits the bed - no pic, no sound NADA

so I decide I want to try a Vizio - an engineer friend has had two and they were quite nice
www. shopping takes me to Best Buy and I find a 65" OLED @ $1799 down from $1999, seems
fair enough - I'd seen the class leading LG, my brother has one, stunning picture but I was set on Vizio
at the lower price
add to cart - but I don't finish the transaction, I just leave the tab open for a couple of weeks
because I'm lazy
so I order a new wall mount because it's a bigger VESA pattern than the Panny
it arrives the box sits in the garage

my persistent laziness kicks in and the TV is now $1999 again, which I can afford
but don't want to pay, as noted above for that price I'll buy the LG
stimulus checks hit and now the f**king things are not available

now I'm under extreme pressure because The Masters™ is upcoming

I consider Sony and the pressure of not having the omnipresent display is
crushing.......I consider drinking

Sunday morning - - a casual visit to the aforementioned www.Best Buy and voila!, they're available again at the much more affordable price of $1499

add to cart

.....laziness pays off again !!

I picked it up 3/26 and wondered on the way home - why didn't I have this thing delivered ?

and oh, I suffered a concussion in the fall
really appreciate all well wishes and messages

lolz - purple for the sarcasm
.....that's a stupid way to die !

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Tue May 11, 2021 2:48 pm

I have a Panasonic Viera (?) 50" plasma that I bought in 2011 as a floor sample for $600 to watch the Boston Bruins win the Stanley cup. It's f'ing gorgeous picture did them justice! I don't think I have turned it on since then... Oh, yes I did, to play Atari 2600 games! You should see Yar's Revenge on a 50" plasma.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 11, 2021 3:46 pm

I'll cut to the chase and give you the reader's digest version...

You want to avoid any modern consumer televisions where the manufacturer over-clocks the refresh rate. Sharp was one of the worst offenders of this sleight-of-hand electronic voodoo which really is just a sad marketing technic IMHO. In the nutshell, it ruins the image especially motion picture films that run at a native 24 fps. Samsung is another offender.

I attended a conference years ago held by Sony and they were at the forefront of OLED display technology. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't try any gimmicky features like toying with the refresh rate. And, since they own many major studios in LA, I would imagine they would honor the integrity of proper motion picture frame rates and colorimetry. They also make lots of money selling cinematic cameras too and so it's important that their displays reflect that technology

Panasonic is another one that has a long history of maintaining great HD images regardless if it running 60 fps or 24 fps, it always looks right on my Panasonic Plasmas. Panasonic and Sony are well known in the cinematic industry for their amazing color gamma, high contrast ratio, proper color phasing, etc. Have y'all heard of Ikegami? Amazing company too. But they just manufacture broadcast cameras.