Sometimes the Stupid Thing to do is just too damn irresistible . . .

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Sometimes the Stupid Thing to do is just too damn irresistible . . .

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:12 pm

So says my wife to my son and me.

My son, Alex, the one who works at VW HQ in suburban DC (literally a few meters from gnat's house), sold the 5 series BMW that we bought for him when he graduated college. He wants to buy a newer vehicle. And to be fair, although it was a very nice car (completely loaded 535 with X-Drive and absolutely every option), it was getting long in the tooth (180,000+ miles). He got his first taste of European car maintenance a couple of months ago when one of his front CV joints let loose.

He works in VW's electric car program. I'm not sure exactly what he does (he's a business school graduate, not an engineer), but he's heavily involved in the new electric vehicles that VW will bring to market in the next year or so. So, he wants an electric car. Supposedly they require less maintenance, plus a perk is that his office has free EV charging. So, he'll save roughly $200 per month in just gas costs for his commute.

He has decided to buy a 2017 BMW i3 with the range extender gas engine backup system. You see them for sale all around the country on the dealer's auction website, but the majority of them are offered off-lease through BMW Financial out of the Riverside (east Los Angeles), California auction. That's where he'll be buying his because due to battery life concerns, he wants to avoid cold-weather climate cars.

It will cost $1,040 to ship a car from the Riverside auction to his home in Washington, DC. Smart money says that's money well spent. But, as the thread title says, you could fly out-drive home, right?! So, that's what we're going to do.

We meet up at LAX on Friday night, March 27th. I arrive first and will go to the auction to pick the car up. He gets in after midnight Friday (technically Saturday, I guess). We'll stay on the west side of LA, then hit the Petersen Museum first thing in the morning. By noon, we'll be on the road to Vegas, where we'll do our first overnight. Vegas to Denver on Sunday, March 29th. Monday, March 30th, Denver to Kansas City, where my trip is finished. He'll spend the night there, then drive to Indianapolis on Tuesday, the 31st. Indianapolis to DC next, ending his trip, appropriately, on April Fool's Day.

The BMW i3 runs on battery charge. Due to CARB regulations, the battery must discharge to below 6% before the 38 hp gas range extender (with its 2.4 gallon tank) kicks in (which is after about 90 miles of electric range). Problem is that the 170 hp electric motors go into a reduced power mode at that point, basically sucking juice off the battery as fast as the 38 hp range extender generator can produce it. In rough terms, the power goes from 170 hp on tap to about 38 hp (I know it's not that simple, but it's close enough - you get the idea). That shouldn't be an issue on flat ground, so as long as we aren't traversing the Rocky Mountains or anything, we should be just fine . . . :shock:

There appears to be a common hack to enable a charge-hold mode to kick in the gas engine at 75% battery charge so that the car doesn't go into the reduced power mode. With any luck, the car he buys at the auction will have already had that hack done to it. Of course, we won't know that until we pick the car up. If not, he'll have the software (an iPhone app) and the OBDII wireless dongle with him so that we should be able to do the hack ourselves before we set out.

Stand by for updates.

giphy (35).gif
giphy (35).gif (343.68 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Sometimes the Stupid Thing to do is just too damn irresistible . . .

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:12 pm So says my wife to my son and me.

My son, Alex, the one who works at VW HQ in suburban DC (literally a few meters from gnat's house), sold the 5 series BMW that we bought for him when he graduated college. He wants to buy a newer vehicle. And to be fair, although it was a very nice car (completely loaded 535 with X-Drive and absolutely every option), it was getting long in the tooth (180,000+ miles). He got his first taste of European car maintenance a couple of months ago when one of his front CV joints let loose.

He works in VW's electric car program. I'm not sure exactly what he does (he's a business school graduate, not an engineer), but he's heavily involved in the new electric vehicles that VW will bring to market in the next year or so. So, he wants an electric car. Supposedly they require less maintenance, plus a perk is that his office has free EV charging. So, he'll save roughly $200 per month in just gas costs for his commute.

He has decided to buy a 2017 BMW i3 with the range extender gas engine backup system. You see them for sale all around the country on the dealer's auction website, but the majority of them are offered off-lease through BMW Financial out of the Riverside (east Los Angeles), California auction. That's where he'll be buying his because due to battery life concerns, he wants to avoid cold-weather climate cars.

It will cost $1,040 to ship a car from the Riverside auction to his home in Washington, DC. Smart money says that's money well spent. But, as the thread title says, you could fly out-drive home, right?! So, that's what we're going to do.

We meet up at LAX on Friday night, March 27th. I arrive first and will go to the auction to pick the car up. He gets in after midnight Friday (technically Saturday, I guess). We'll stay on the west side of LA, then hit the Petersen Museum first thing in the morning. By noon, we'll be on the road to Vegas, where we'll do our first overnight. Vegas to Denver on Sunday, March 29th. Monday, March 30th, Denver to Kansas City, where my trip is finished. He'll spend the night there, then drive to Indianapolis on Tuesday, the 31st. Indianapolis to DC next, ending his trip, appropriately, on April Fool's Day.

The BMW i3 runs on battery charge. Due to CARB regulations, the battery must discharge to below 6% before the 38 hp gas range extender (with its 2.4 gallon tank) kicks in (which is after about 90 miles of electric range). Problem is that the 170 hp electric motors go into a reduced power mode at that point, basically sucking juice off the battery as fast as the 38 hp range extender generator can produce it. In rough terms, the power goes from 170 hp on tap to about 38 hp (I know it's not that simple, but it's close enough - you get the idea). That shouldn't be an issue on flat ground, so as long as we aren't traversing the Rocky Mountains or anything, we should be just fine . . . :shock:

There appears to be a common hack to enable a charge-hold mode to kick in the gas engine at 75% battery charge so that the car doesn't go into the reduced power mode. With any luck, the car he buys at the auction will have already had that hack done to it. Of course, we won't know that until we pick the car up. If not, he'll have the software (an iPhone app) and the OBDII wireless dongle with him so that we should be able to do the hack ourselves before we set out.

Stand by for updates.
I had a 1964 VW Beetle back in the day that only had 40hp on a good day and it would run 68 mph if I could catch a draft from a passing semi on the interstate. You'll be fine.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:48 pm

If it was a real car I would certainly agree with the sense of driving it home rather than shipping if one has the time available.

EVs, however, take a LONG time to drive across country due to the charging issue. In the time you calculated for each leg, did you account for how slow it is going to be going (don't see many 80-90mph multi hour cruises happening there), how often you'll have to stop to refill that 2 gallon tank, and that you'll likely need to stop somewhere to top off the battery so you aren't doing most of the day on 38hp?

#goodluckwiththat

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Take pics.

Your post is exactly why EVs aren't viable yet. With virtually any other car built in the last 25 years this would be a non-event. Fly in, drive back.

With EVs its a cluster.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm
I had a 1964 VW Beetle back in the day that only had 40hp on a good day and it would run 68 mph if I could catch a draft from a passing semi on the interstate. You'll be fine.
Well, that makes me feel much bettah.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:53 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:48 pm If it was a real car I would certainly agree with the sense of driving it home rather than shipping if one has the time available.

EVs, however, take a LONG time to drive across country due to the charging issue. In the time you calculated for each leg, did you account for how slow it is going to be going (don't see many 80-90mph multi hour cruises happening there), how often you'll have to stop to refill that 2 gallon tank, and that you'll likely need to stop somewhere to top off the battery so you aren't doing most of the day on 38hp?

#goodluckwiththat
Yeah, well, no.

giphy (37).gif
giphy (37).gif (8.53 MiB) Viewed 2650 times
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm Take pics.

Your post is exactly why EVs aren't viable yet. With virtually any other car built in the last 25 years this would be a non-event. Fly in, drive back.

With EVs its a cluster.
Well, yeah . . .

giphy (38).gif
giphy (38).gif (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2648 times
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Of course, that Beetle weighed 1,600 lbs soaking wet...
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm I had a 1964 VW Beetle back in the day that only had 40hp on a good day and it would run 68 mph if I could catch a draft from a passing semi on the interstate. You'll be fine.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 pm

He's got The CaronaVirus(tm)...cut him some slack. :D
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:57 pm
Well, yeah . . .
giphy (38).gif
giphy (38).gif (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2640 times

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:46 pm

We're all current or past 996 owners, so...preach on. The choir is listening.
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:12 pm Sometimes the Stupid Thing to do is just too damn irresistible . . .