Anyone own an S&W 9ez?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Anyone own an S&W 9ez?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Thinking about retiring my P89 and replacing it with an S&W 9ez. I think Mrs. Schnell would have much better success with the ez based on the weight (P89 is 32 oz. vs. the 9ez's 23 oz - that's > half a pound / 25% less!) and the reduced slide pull. The P89 also uses a double-stack mag, which also makes it tough for the Mrs. to control comfortably.

Wondering if any of you guys have dicked with one yet and have any impressions to share.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Anyone own an S&W 9ez?

Post by 02TX996Cab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Purchased one a couple of weeks ago -- the M&P 9 Shield EZ, 3.6" barrel with a Crimson Trace laser (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/m ... laserguard). I have only a few rounds down the barrel so far so I'm still getting used to it but here hare my initial impressions:
  • It fits my average man-sized hand pretty well. If anything I could use a slightly larger grip but the pistol points naturally and is easy to control as it is.
  • The slide and magazine are indeed easy to operate - easiest of my centerfire semi-auto pistols by far (others include an S&W Model 52 in 38 SPL and a Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match in .45 ACP, both are for specialized bullseye shooting)
  • The thumb safety is easy to operate and in a natural location for my grip
  • The slide release is quite stiff. Some reading I did suggested this is common when new, but loosens up with use.
I have some work colleagues who are serious pistol shooters (one is a certified instructor) and they are highly complimentary of the EZ; it's a real shooter. What I know so far is it's easy to aim, reliably goes "boom" every time I pull the trigger, and recoil is very easily controlled.

We'll see over time if I keep the laser or dismount it and replace the sights with some tritium night sights. One drawback from the laser is that finding a holster for CC will be difficult -- full disclosure, I knew this when I bought it.

Hope this helps.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:42 am

Good info - thanks!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:46 pm

My pleasure.

If my impressions change as I get more rounds down the barrel I'll post again to this thread.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!