Taycan has Torch Boy issues too

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Taycan has Torch Boy issues too

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm
I forgot an important one - the Chevy Volt also used lithium batteries. My guess is that GM probably had a lot more fail-safe built into the Volt than Tesla used. It really does kind of concern me that Porsche had a car-b-que out of a new Taycan. There are three parts to making a safe lithium battery pack - 1 - make sure that the cells themselves are high quality and well tested. 2 - make sure that the battery pack itself is wired up correctly and has plenty of internal safety like circuit breakers and fusible links where necessary. 3. The battery management system (BMS) has to be pretty much fail safe. Easier said than done, and more expensive too. This is one of the reasons that we saw the cheap Chinese hoverboards burning up a couple of years ago, but Segway’s rarely caught fire.

Hopefully Porsche gets quickly on this as the last thing that they an afford is a reputation for poor quality batteries and/or unsafe BMS system.
Daryll
The daughter has one of the old lower power Volts. They love it. Well maybe they love the idea of what the car represents as much as they love the car. To me the worthless heater would be enough for me to dump like a wheelbarrow of manure, but I'm spoiled...I guess. But, come on this is the midwest and it gets cold around here. The steering wheel heater would not cut it for me.
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 am

gnat wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:07 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm It really does kind of concern me that Porsche had a car-b-que out of a new Taycan.
Don't forget the 991 GT3RS (or was it the plain GT3?) when it first came out. They made all the owners stop driving them until they fixed it.
Oh yea - forgot about that one. I'm sure there was some screaming in Stuttgart about the cost of that warranty program!
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:54 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm
I forgot an important one - the Chevy Volt also used lithium batteries. My guess is that GM probably had a lot more fail-safe built into the Volt than Tesla used. It really does kind of concern me that Porsche had a car-b-que out of a new Taycan. There are three parts to making a safe lithium battery pack - 1 - make sure that the cells themselves are high quality and well tested. 2 - make sure that the battery pack itself is wired up correctly and has plenty of internal safety like circuit breakers and fusible links where necessary. 3. The battery management system (BMS) has to be pretty much fail safe. Easier said than done, and more expensive too. This is one of the reasons that we saw the cheap Chinese hoverboards burning up a couple of years ago, but Segway’s rarely caught fire.

Hopefully Porsche gets quickly on this as the last thing that they an afford is a reputation for poor quality batteries and/or unsafe BMS system.
Daryll
The daughter has one of the old lower power Volts. They love it. Well maybe they love the idea of what the car represents as much as they love the car. To me the worthless heater would be enough for me to dump like a wheelbarrow of manure, but I'm spoiled...I guess. But, come on this is the midwest and it gets cold around here. The steering wheel heater would not cut it for me.
The Volt very well may be the most complex car ever built and sold to the public. It is kind of amazing how well they work with all the stuff contained inside the box. Heard that GM lost $10k on every one that they sold, and that seems possible. Did not realize the heaters were not up to a Nebraska winter - seems funny that they would screw that up - Detroit isn't exactly a tropical paradise either!
I've only driven one around the block when they first came out. Everyone I know that had one really liked them though.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:10 pm

I wouldn't feel bad if electric cars were discovered to cause cancer.

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:20 pm

My friend sent me this a few weeks ago... Said tycan was getting delivers to his wife's neighbor. Clearly covid is not affecting some. That's tycan turbo s being unloaded in Scottsdale.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200823-142040.png

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:10 pm I wouldn't feel bad if electric cars were discovered to cause cancer.
I thought Cali had already declared that everything causes cancer. :roll:
Never gonna make you cry...

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Saw my first on on the road today. A rather ugly muddy dark gray...not mat but also not shiny. And with very ugly gold wheels. It was heading towards Thousand Oaks, from the SF valley so maybe going to the dealer out there. Was cruising at 60 to 65 mph...and no one seemed to notice it or care. Another uninteresting design. For a fraction of the cost I could get an Alfa Milano Verde on BaT. Nothing else looked like it, and it was a great driver.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland I have to humbly disagree with you on the uninteresting design part. I'm no EV fan but my opinion is the Taycan is absolute fire. It's what the Panamera should have been.

Coincidentally I saw one today for I think the 3rd time. Today was the spec below. Damn, damn, damn. Turned my head for sure.
9-PORSCHE-TAYCAN-drive-report-.jpg
9-PORSCHE-TAYCAN-drive-report-.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

Also unrelated - I'm in love with the Lexus LC500 right now, fight me.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 pm best-selling author, serial 996 flipper, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland I have to humbly disagree with you on the uninteresting design part. I'm no EV fan but my opinion is the Taycan is absolute fire. It's what the Panamera should have been.

Coincidentally I saw one today for I think the 3rd time. Today was the spec below. Damn, damn, damn. Turned my head for sure.

Looks like a facelift version of the Panamera? I can't pull myself into any 4-door or SUV Porsche. I'd drive around in a Boxster with shirtless Kalash before I'd own one of these things. :lol:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 am
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 pm best-selling author, serial 996 flipper, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant best-selling author, serial 996 flipper, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland I have to humbly disagree with you on the uninteresting design part. I'm no EV fan but my opinion is the Taycan is absolute fire. It's what the Panamera should have been.

Looks like a facelift version of the Panamera? I can't pull myself into any 4-door or SUV Porsche. I'd drive around in a Boxster with shirtless Kalash before I'd own one of these things. :lol:
Have you driven one? I can't speak for the sedans, but non-base model Cayennes can be a blast (the diesel is the best bang for the buck in my biased opinion). Even the base Macan is a blast if you get one with the sport plus package, otherwise start at the S. Both vehicles are shockingly nimble for their size and hold their own in the Porsche brand very well.

Don't knock em until you've had a chance to really drive one. They might surprise you.