Kansas City Auto Museum's New Facility - "The Underground"

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Kansas City Auto Museum's New Facility - "The Underground"

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Quick summary: The auto museum (www.kansascityautomuseum.com) got a big donation back in March to buy a parking garage. We have big plans for it for the future, but I can't officially talk about those. In the meantime, we are creating a display centered around classic car storage. If you are familiar with "The Vault" at the Petersen Auto Museum, you get the idea. Below is a flyer describing the program. I have been tasked with getting this entire project off the ground. Please read the flyer and give me your thoughts - good, bad, indifferent. The facility is viewable on Google maps: 3000 Pennsylvania Avenue, KCMO 64108. The storage area is completely underground and sealed off from the weather. It is "temperature controlled" (meaning kept between 55 and 85 degrees), but not "climate controlled" (meaning no HVAC system to manage humidity levels). It is a modern parking garage - clean and dry. We'll have space for 400 vehicles. I'd love to get a population of at least 100 vehicles in there by October 1st. I should be able to accept vehicles as early as July 1st. Topics:
-Do you like the name "The Underground"? Or do you have a better name?
-How to advertise the program on a budget?
-How much would you be willing to "donate" each month to keep your car in the collection?
-Should we set a minimum "standard" for a car to be kept in "The Underground"
-How to deal with requests to have a battery tender on a stored car? Should we charge extra?
-What level of "maintenance" allowed in The Underground? Light detailing only, or allow someone to do some wrenching?
-Should we have a 4 post lift installed for non-maintenance related activities?
-How to collect each monthly donation?
-Limits of bailee liability: how much seems reasonable?
-In and out privileges: how much access would you want (3 hour window daily, and more on weekends)? If we offer "by appointment" times for drop off and pick up of a car, should we charge extra for that and how much?
-Access to the storage area: how strict to be on letting people in the area where the cars are stored?
-Tours of the facility: As a visitor, what would you expect to see and how presented?

Gosh, there are lots of topics. We are literally designing this "business" from the ground up. As owners of enthusiast cars, I'd love to have your feedback.

underground reduced size_Page_1.jpg
underground reduced size_Page_1.jpg (177.75 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
underground_Page_2.jpg
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Kansas City Auto Museum's New Facility - "The Underground"

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:32 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm Topics:
-Do you like the name "The Underground"? Or do you have a better name?
-How to advertise the program on a budget?
-How much would you be willing to "donate" each month to keep your car in the collection?
-Should we set a minimum "standard" for a car to be kept in "The Underground"
-How to deal with requests to have a battery tender on a stored car? Should we charge extra?
-What level of "maintenance" allowed in The Underground? Light detailing only, or allow someone to do some wrenching?
-Should we have a 4 post lift installed for non-maintenance related activities?
-How to collect each monthly donation?
-Limits of bailee liability: how much seems reasonable?
-In and out privileges: how much access would you want (3 hour window daily, and more on weekends)? If we offer "by appointment" times for drop off and pick up of a car, should we charge extra for that and how much?
-Access to the storage area: how strict to be on letting people in the area where the cars are stored?
-Tours of the facility: As a visitor, what would you expect to see and how presented?
The Vault. The Underground sounds like a) The Underground RR or b) a public transportation to me i.e.: subway or c) the Upside Down
Advertise: I would contact all known car clubs in the area with your flyers. Posters and flyers at the current museum. Word of mouth will be your best friend
Donate: I would think it should be compare with local monthly parking facilities plus for the security
Minimum standard: I would think able to be moved on it's own wheels. Some barn finds are amazingly expensive.
Battery tender: Yes charge to cover electricity expense plus
Maintenance: Max maybe oil change, tire/wheel change and detailing. You don't want some dink dropping the engine in your facility.
Four Post: Nope
Collection: Automatic deductions credit card or bank
Bailee liability: Sounds like you need a Lawyer and an Insurance Agent... ;)
In and out: I would do minimum 1 hour a.m. and p.m. for the day cruisers. Appointments outside of scheduled times $25.
Access: Strict!
Tours: Small group with docents. Like Speedway museum.

Is the point to make money or just cover cost of facility at this time?
Never gonna make you cry...

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 am

^^^ Like he said for the most part, but with a couple of alternative thoughts:
  • Power cost for a tender is negligible, but unless the facility already has power outlets at each parking location installing that infrastructure ain't cheap. Consider a one-time payment from users wanting a power outlet, to cover the necessary infrastructure, or just provide them for everyone (not optional) and collect the up-front fee accordingly.
  • No maintenance. As for detailing, use of waterless/spray type items only. Maintenance often requires use of materials considered by regulators (EPA, Fire Marshall) and insurers as flammable or toxic. Does the Museum want to deal with cleanup etc. when someone accidently dumps a full drain pan of oil on the floor, or sprays coolant everywhere, or ??? Policing proper off-property disposal of parts, fluids etc. is another hassle you probably don't want but would get stuck with if on-site maintenance is permitted.
As for a name, I actually like "The Underground", although a more Outpost-esque name like the "Money Pit" would be better :D A name that resonates with your intended audience--car enthusiasts--is what matters; the opinions of others are irrelevant and are best ignored.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:32 pm The Vault. The Underground sounds like a) The Underground RR or b) a public transportation to me i.e.: subway or c) the Upside Down
Advertise: I would contact all known car clubs in the area with your flyers. Posters and flyers at the current museum. Word of mouth will be your best friend
Donate: I would think it should be compare with local monthly parking facilities plus for the security
Minimum standard: I would think able to be moved on it's own wheels. Some barn finds are amazingly expensive.
Battery tender: Yes charge to cover electricity expense plus
Maintenance: Max maybe oil change, tire/wheel change and detailing. You don't want some dink dropping the engine in your facility.
Four Post: Nope
Collection: Automatic deductions credit card or bank
Bailee liability: Sounds like you need a Lawyer and an Insurance Agent... ;)
In and out: I would do minimum 1 hour a.m. and p.m. for the day cruisers. Appointments outside of scheduled times $25.
Access: Strict!
Tours: Small group with docents. Like Speedway museum.

Is the point to make money or just cover cost of facility at this time?
Thanks for the input, Billy!

A couple of thoughts -
We can’t use “The Vault” because The Petersen is helping us tremendously and we don’t want to copycat them. I agree that it’s a great name, though.

I was thinking to insist on some sort of automatic payment mechanism like credit card or ACH authorization because we don’t want to chase people down every month. Does requiring auto payment seem reasonable (e.g. - we don’t accept a car without some auto payment arrangement)?

Bailee liability: you cannot contract it away, but you can limit it and charge extra if someone wants an increased liability level. Owners will have to maintain their own insurance, so what we are talking about is the owners’ insurance company filing a subrogation claim against our insurance (the car owner wouldn’t see a dime). I am thinking a $5,000 limit per car as that’s probably the fair market value for the least expensive cars that will live there. Does that seem out of line?

We need to cover costs of the facility with the program. We would love to generate excess revenue to cover other programs we already run and to allow us to create new programs. There’s not a lot of profit in the auto museum gain. Typically, income from operations only covers about 20% of total costs (that’s industry-wide, not just us). But because we got such an incredible facility and the purchase price was donated, we have the opportunity to generate excess revenue on just this facility. We basically had a $15 million property handed to us (purchase price was way less due to a unique circumstance, and then a donor covered that price).

Billy, you need to get down here and see it.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 am

02TX996Cab wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 am ^^^ Like he said for the most part, but with a couple of alternative thoughts:
  • Power cost for a tender is negligible, but unless the facility already has power outlets at each parking location installing that infrastructure ain't cheap. Consider a one-time payment from users wanting a power outlet, to cover the necessary infrastructure, or just provide them for everyone (not optional) and collect the up-front fee accordingly.
  • No maintenance. As for detailing, use of waterless/spray type items only. Maintenance often requires use of materials considered by regulators (EPA, Fire Marshall) and insurers as flammable or toxic. Does the Museum want to deal with cleanup etc. when someone accidently dumps a full drain pan of oil on the floor, or sprays coolant everywhere, or ??? Policing proper off-property disposal of parts, fluids etc. is another hassle you probably don't want but would get stuck with if on-site maintenance is permitted.
As for a name, I actually like "The Underground", although a more Outpost-esque name like the "Money Pit" would be better :D A name that resonates with your intended audience--car enthusiasts--is what matters; the opinions of others are irrelevant and are best ignored.
You nailed it on the battery tender issue - the cost of electricity is minimal, but there aren’t many electrical outlets down there. The other issue is whether a battery tender will be a fire hazard. We are thinking about requiring a battery cut-off switch or removing the negative terminal or just pulling the battery altogether. But that’s a hassle. Plus, although not a big deal for the older cars, newer cars don’t like not having power to their onboard computers. We were thinking about having a special “corral” for cars that want/need a tender and keeping them away from the other cars. Then adding a surcharge if you want your car in that area. I feel like I would want a tender on the 996tt, but wouldn’t care about the 928, 944, E30 or X1/9. A $10 battery cutoff switch would be fine for my older cars.

Your maintenance guidelines are exactly what we are thinking. I was thinking about getting a 4-post lift just because it’s nice to be able to put your car on a lift just to poke around and inspect it. Plus we could use it in educational programs. Ceiling height may end up nixing that.

OMG - “The Money Pit” is awesome! That would be so perfect. I am going to bounce that off the Operations Committee.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 am

I guess calling it "Schnelly's Stable" would be too much of an inside joke for the local crowd :mrgreen:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 am
02TX996Cab wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 am ^^^ Like he said for the most part, but with a couple of alternative thoughts:
You nailed it on the battery tender issue - the cost of electricity is minimal, but there aren’t many electrical outlets down there. The other issue is whether a battery tender will be a fire hazard. We are thinking about requiring a battery cut-off switch or removing the negative terminal or just pulling the battery altogether. But that’s a hassle. Plus, although not a big deal for the older cars, newer cars don’t like not having power to their onboard computers. We were thinking about having a special “corral” for cars that want/need a tender and keeping them away from the other cars. Then adding a surcharge if you want your car in that area. I feel like I would want a tender on the 996tt, but wouldn’t care about the 928, 944, E30 or X1/9. A $10 battery cutoff switch would be fine for my older cars.

Your maintenance guidelines are exactly what we are thinking. I was thinking about getting a 4-post lift just because it’s nice to be able to put your car on a lift just to poke around and inspect it. Plus we could use it in educational programs. Ceiling height may end up nixing that.

OMG - “The Money Pit” is awesome! That would be so perfect. I am going to bounce that off the Operations Committee.
Careful! "The Money Pit" is a radio show about home repair. Might want to ask a lawyer first...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 am

BTW it appears to be in a decent location. Lots of Mexican food places which would draw me down there if I was local.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:36 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 am BTW it appears to be in a decent location. Lots of Mexican food places which would draw me down there if I was local.

Yep, Southwest Trafficway is just west, down the hill. It was the Latino part of town back in the day and has great authentic Mexican restaurants. Now there are some BBQ joints down there as well.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:44 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:36 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 am BTW it appears to be in a decent location. Lots of Mexican food places which would draw me down there if I was local.

Yep, Southwest Trafficway is just west, down the hill. It was the Latino part of town back in the day and has great authentic Mexican restaurants. Now there are some BBQ joints down there as well.
Hey it's KC there better be some BBQ joints down there! Perhaps a Gates?