Camera thread

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Camera thread

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 am

gnat wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am Indeed. Thus why the pic I took is badly focused. We've all gotten spoiled by what our phones can do, but serious photographers have real skill to get that truly perfect shot.

That Hassie is like a Carrera GT, it's the ultimate studio photographer's camera like the CGT was the ultimate racing car for the home. You're going to get sharpness out of that thing that will make the hairs stand up on the backs of other photographer's necks - but if you don't get your settings correct for your shot - that thing is going to send you spinning backward into the wall, on fire, faster than you can say "oops!" (Metaphorically, which is why I mess with cameras more than racing cars also!)

You can see the way you had your aperture set up with your 80mm prime your depth of field is so shallow that your focus is about halfway up your dog's snout to the bottom of the eye. It's the danger with portraiture and a badass camera is you can be focused on the top of a person's ear and have their face be blurry.

Hope your wife has fun learning that beast! I'll go through some of my favorite shots later on and post up some of my 35mm goodness :D
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:21 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 am You can see the way you had your aperture set up with your 80mm prime your depth of field is so shallow that your focus is about halfway up your dog's snout to the bottom of the eye.
Yeap. Again the lighting was also not the best which shows how impressive that lens is.

Similarly on the shot with her head up, she chose the moment of the picture to move and stick out her tongue. It really looks like it was simply out of focus (which it probably was to some degree) until you zoom in on the whiskers on the right side of her face or the reflection in her left eye. Then you can see the movement. Damn fast lens!

Both of those were handheld as well vs being on a tripod where you can get the best results.

Oh and I have serious respect for people that get Medium Format landscapes off the beaten path. Haven't weight it yet, but this setup is probably a good 5-7lbs. Through in another lens or two, your tripod, and all the other bits you need and that is one heavy pack they are toting around!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Another question I have for you is did you output to a RAW format or straight to .jpg? Sometimes these cameras have really nice .jpg post-processing in camera, sometimes they're an afterthought. Generally people who shoot with professional cameras are outputting to RAW in which case you're going to be getting a really muddy-flat output straight from the camera because ALL of the data is in there. You've got to fire up Lightroom or PS to tweak each photo to make it a final. Oh the joys of being pro :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:48 pm

This... Digital stuff is for wimps. Real work is done is dark room, with test strips, then multiple wasted paper sheets, then drying etc.

I took two years of elective photography in HS, best chill 5/6th period classes ever.

Opening the film canister in the dark bag and trying not to mess it up, staring to sweat,then placing film into some chemical canister to develop it? I think.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:48 pm This... Digital stuff is for wimps. Real work is done is dark room, with test strips, then multiple wasted paper sheets, then drying etc.

I took two years of elective photography in HS, best chill 5/6th period classes ever.

Opening the film canister in the dark bag and trying not to mess it up, staring to sweat,then placing film into some chemical canister to develop it? I think.
As mentioned in the first post, this is a toy for the wife who has a degree in photography and was bought specifically because it works with the old film bodies.

It's hard to justify a film camera these days if you can't outfit your own dark room. At this level of gear it's quite costly to manage separate film and digital gear (e.g. their X1D-II is the same innards, but it's not compatible with the old film gear) for someone doing it as a hobby. So this body is perfect as she can start collecting a film body and various lenses. Then she can shoot digital or film (or both by simply swapping backs between shots!) based on what she wants to accomplish.

She loved working in the darkroom and has never found post processing in Photoshop as natural of an experience (mostly because it supports her OCD going into overdrive and fixing the most minor things).

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:01 pm

I am messing with you on film camera if you can't tell. Modern cameras and processing tools are ridiculously expensive. When I lived in San Francisco I knew a professional photographer who did some very serious work, he told me about his costs. I never bothered to get invested into photography after that. His web site for refence.

http://www.kimsteele.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Years ago, I had a simple B&W darkroom setup for film developing and printing. This was before Amazon; when the only store in the area that sold darkroom supplies went out of business, that hobby went out the window.

Contact sheets FTW...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:01 pm I am messing with you on film camera if you can't tell. Modern cameras and processing tools are ridiculously expensive. When I lived in San Francisco I knew a professional photographer who did some very serious work, he told me about his costs. I never bothered to get invested into photography after that. His web site for refence.

http://www.kimsteele.com
Nah, it's actually a serious subject. Much like analog vs digital audio, there is a difference between well processed film and digital prints.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 pm

I totally respect someone who knows all that photo taking stuff. Their pics are amazing.

Here's the last camera I was proficient with...
vintage-polaroid-camera-and-accessories-1308.jpeg
vintage-polaroid-camera-and-accessories-1308.jpeg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 pm I ordered it back in December naively thinking the estimated availability which was in January.
Oofff. Just wrote the check to the CC company. I am less enamored with the camera for the moment... :shock: