Sweet Victory's 2001 C2 Aero

Each Outpost member may create a post in this thread to track maintenance of their vehicle, including PM, repairs, etc.
sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Sweet Victory's 2001 C2 Aero

Post by sweet victory » Wed May 19, 2021 7:58 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:25 am Great Job! The underneath looks showroom new.
sweet victory wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:25 pm

Taking some time to clean the area you're working on goes a long way. Having a 2 post lift also makes this a lot easier. If you approach it incrementally while you perform PM&C, it doesn't become a daunting chore you try to do all one time.
I try. I work at a facility that does very complex manufacturing and assembly. This is the same expectation we have for staff responsible for our production floor cleanliness and asset management. Got to live it, love it, breathe it...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri May 21, 2021 9:39 pm

05.21.2021 | 147539
  • Fabspeed Supercup Mufflers Installed
  • Fabspeed Quad Muffler Tips Installed

I have been wanting to experience first hand what Fabspeed's supercup exhaust sounds like. When I saw Performify's ad (on the "other" forum) for a set up super cups, I scooped them up. The transaction was smooth and painless; solid guy to work with and wouldn't hesitate to do future transactions with him.

In just a few days, they showed up well packaged, and I quickly got the car on the lift to install them. They only had ~5000 miles on them, but I still gave them a wipe scrub with 0000 steel wool. Half a Joe Rogan postcast later, and they came out looking mint.

The super cups replaced a set of Maxflo's, which are two completely different animals. I'm really glad I got to experience the two different mufflers back to back. I absolutely love the sound and burbles you get with the Maxflos, but it does come at a sacrifice. The Super Cups produce a drone at about 2500rpm if you're on the throttle, and are about 3x louder. The drone is enough to vibrate the cabin. The simple solution is to keep the rpm up, and damn, it sounds fantastic from the driver's eat. The supercups have their place, and would not recommend them if you're using your 996 to sit in stop & go traffic; you will probably be much happier with the Maxflos. If your 996 spends most of the time on a track or canyon road, you'll be smiling ear to ear. I'm not 100% sure if the Super Cups are going to stay for certain, so I'm not selling the Maxflo's just yet.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon May 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Those look awesome.

And you said "Joe Rogan," so Billy won't talk to you anymore. :D
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 24, 2021 2:06 pm

I don't know what a Joe Rogan is. Is it safe to google that? :roll:
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:14 pm Those look awesome.

Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon May 24, 2021 6:53 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:14 pm Those look awesome.

He won't hurt my feelings. Half of this country can't have a conversation with the other half for similar reasons, but let's not get into that on this thread...

They sound awesome, but the ~2500rpm drone is a bit much. X pipes allegedly "fix" the drone. I've been wanting to give them a try, so the more excuses I can come up with, the better. :mrgreen:

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Thu May 27, 2021 7:55 am

05.26.2021 | 147585
  • Transmission Mount Replaced
  • Numeric Racing Billet Rod End Bushings Replaced

From my last oil change, I had noticed a tear in the rubber. It's not easy to get a visual on since you have two bracket in the way, and a rubber flap. This only allows you to see a small section of the bushing. After doing this job for the first time...if the bushing looks even a little torn, replace it. The bushing looks like it has nearly completely failed. This is the best photo I could get of the mount with it in the car; the brackets and rubber flaps that are normally there have been removed. All that was visible during my last visual inspection was the "small tear" at the 10'oclock position.

Here is the solution! I want to recommend FCP Euro once again - they had a competitive price and free shipping. The amount of time it took for it to arrive was a fraction of what was originally estimated when I selected the free shipping option. 

Here is the AGA tool in action. It worked well without any incident. I installed from the passenger side since there is a chamfer to get the bushing started during reinstallation. 

Here is the bushing removed. And wow...one side only had less than 1/8" of rubber that hadn't been sheared, and the other side was around 3/8". What I thought was a part beginning to fail was actually a part about to completely fail.

And lastly, plopped in new bushings into Numeric Racing 's billet shifter ends. Here's what the old bushings look like after ~3.5 years of use. The shifter/cable upgrade is by far my favorite mod I've done to enhance the driving experience on this car. 

​​​​​​​Image

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sun May 30, 2021 5:29 pm

Got up at 5am to ping pong up and down Ortega Hwy with some close friends. I can't get over how much I love driving this thing; I'm approaching 6 years of ownership and the car has never felt more dialed in.

Some thoughts from recent changes:
  • Regarding the exhaust - I'm still on the fence about the super cups...they sound awesome ripping up and down a mountain, but less than ideal at commuting speeds. I read that x pipes help with the drone at 2.5-2.8k rpm, so I'm bit tempted to double down and try them with the x pipes.
  • Brakes feel great - nothing really to report. I'm happy with the Sebro/Textar set up. My driving skills do not demand anything more out of the vehicle.
  • Suspension/alignment feels sooooo goooddd. I felt planted the entire drive. I suspect a better seat/belts to keep me in place would benefit more than anything else at this point.
  • Transmission mount - I could not quantify a tangible difference. Super cups make it hard to hear the NVH that I could hear prior to changing the mount.
Don't ask me what the wet spot is in the gravel...I was a bit startled by it and checked it out. Everything was bone dry underneath, so it must've been left by something else.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 31, 2021 4:31 am

Too much morning coffee or a German Shepard passed by...?
sweet victory wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:29 pm
Don't ask me what the wet spot is in the gravel...I was a bit startled by it and checked it out. Everything was bone dry underneath, so it must've been left by something else.

Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon May 31, 2021 2:43 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:31 am Too much morning coffee or a German Shepard passed by...?
I'll come clean. I just couldn't hold it anymore. :D

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:02 am

06.28.2021 | 147929
  • Hardwire Valentine V1 via Savvy
Spent Saturday afternoon putting together my first attempt at a radar detector hardwire install. There was a criteria I wanted to meet that lead me down the road I went:
Minimally invasive to factory wiring
No extra/slack wire bundled and ziptied in a corner
Aesthetically pleasing
Prepare yourself for this rabbit hole....

I don't have powered rear view mirrow, so back probing switched power in the mirror was not an option for me. I found some threads where people tried to tap into power from the sunroof, but were having issues; decided I would find another option. I ended up going with the Valentine Savvy. This plugs into the OBDII port and allows you to mute alerts below certain speeds. The only issue with the Savvy is it would be mounted in an area I would probably kick all the time getting in/out of the vehicle. I bought a short, flat cable that relocates the OBDII port. We can't just have the cord dangling around in the foot well, so I poked around under the dash to figure out the best way to proceed. I decided to notch the mount that holds the OBDII plug so that wire could be neatly routed and mounted the Savvy to the top of the fuse box.

The notch had no noticeable effect on the rigidity of the bracket. There is a good mount of webbing/gussets on the back side that keep this thing from bending.

The mount very neatly tucked away.

I mounted the Savvy to the top of the fuse block using Scotch extreme fastener. It works very well.

After getting the Savvy mounted, I was ready to make a harness to connect the two. After trying a few different loom materials, I ended up with this. I wasn't crazy about the mesh looking loom material, but it's very easy to feed long spans of wire through. The nylon sleeving looks nice, but there was no way I was going to be able to feed the wire through that entire length. I used thick, adhesive lines shrink tube as a strain relief on the RJ11 plugs. The wires under the are twisted together, so that's why the nylon looks a little bumpy.

Here is the loom installed. I pulled the A pillar on the driver side to tuck the wire away neatly. It was definitely not as hard as it was made out to be.

Final thoughts.. I probably made this way harder than it needed to be, but I'm very particular about how I want things. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the wire harness. I may make some test pieces with different looms to see if I can come up with something I like more.