Sweet Victory's 2001 C2 Aero

Each Outpost member may create a post in this thread to track maintenance of their vehicle, including PM, repairs, etc.
sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Sweet Victory's 2001 C2 Aero

Post by sweet victory » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Scored a good condition $275 manometer on ebay for $35 shipped :) Dwyer 475 Mark III

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:47 pm

sweet victory wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm Scored a good condition $275 manometer on ebay for $35 shipped :) Dwyer 475 Mark III
Sweet deal. You Da MAN! Let us know your readings.
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:36 am

01.26.2020 | 144404
  • Began wheel bearing replacement - found bearing is fine. Strut mounts are the issue.
  • Replaced Spark Plug Tubes & O Rings
  • Replaced Spark Plugs
  • Inspected Coil Packs
This weekend I started working on what I thought would be a bad wheel bearing. After getting brake caliper off, I really didn't feel anything wrong with the bearing. When the wheel was on, I could feel some play by grabbing the wheel at the 12 and 6 o clock position and trying to wiggle it. After some additional investigation, it turns out the play is coming from the coil over mount. I don't have that part, so I put everything back together and prepped to move to the back of the car.

I like to make sure any mating surfaces are clean before they go back together. There was a bit of crud between the caliper and upright faces.

Very thin coat of anti seize to help the next guy out....me. No anti seize on the caliper bolt, only a dab of blue loctite.

The next item on the to do list were the spark plug tubes. The driver side of the engine was bone dry (replaced by PO many years ago), but the passenger side of the engine shows some oil seepage below the spark plug tubes. Here is the removed assembly. At a glance, the "old style" coil packs looked okay and I considered reusing them. The apron/boot on a few of them had been partially or complete torn off.

Used the transom plug method for removal. It took 2 or 3 tries to get the tubes to come out on the passenger side.

I have a philosophy of "cleaning to inspect," and after giving them a good wipe down, I will not be unable to reuse any of them. They all had a crack in the same position. I won't post 6 picture of identical coil packs, but here is a close of of the worse one. You can clearly see the crack running at least 50% of the length of the body.

Here's a close up of the spark plugs, starting with cylinder 1 on the left:

Before I prepped the spark plug tubes for assembly, I noticed quite a bit of flashing in the o ring glands. A little annoying given that I paid a little extra for the genuine porsche brand. Took care of the flashing with a file.

All prepped for assembly:

Here is what I use to start spark plugs. I know you can just use an end cut of tubing of start the spark plug, but I don't have any. The Thexton set is like $7 for two different lengths. I also use an aerospace grade anti size specifically for this application. No worries of "insulating" the spark plug, as this is a conductive compound. After installing, they get torqued to 21ftlbs-ish.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 pm

02.03.2020 | 144404
  • Installed 6 New Beru Coil Packs
Tried out a new vendor, FCP Euro. Price was better than Pelican, and Warehouse33 didn't have the Beru coilpacks. Their lifetime warranty was also very appealing. Some of their pricing is really good, and some of it is bazzar. Compare Bosch injectors on Pelican vs FCP - very stark difference, so it still pays to price shop. (IIRC Pelican had the same injectors for something like $50 less)

Treated the contact points with a light film of 3M Silicone Paste. Keep in mind dielectric grease/silicone paste is non conductive; do not place this where you need to maintain continuity. Use sparingly and apply where you don't want the rubber to "fuse" to what it's touching over time. I also applied a light film where the coil pack connector seal slides in the housing. This makes installation and removal easy, and less chances of snapping old plastic clips.

Bank 1 coil packs installed:

Bank 2 coil packs installed:

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 am

sweet victory wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm 06.07.2019 | 143119
  • Coil Pack Heat shield Upgrade

The end result still came out decent. No data or anything to justify doing it; just wanted to play with a new material.

Love this. Almost like seeing a little back tattoo on a woman when you aren't expecting it.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm

03.06.2020 | 144529
  • Installed Bullet Nose Race Stud Conversion (Apex Competition Systems)
This has been on my wish list for a while, and finally got around to ordering and installing wheel studs. I went with the 71mm "bullet nose race studs" and "Porsche PRO Series Nuts" from Apex Competition. The 71mm stud turned out to be perfect for my application as I was shooting for only 2-3 threads of stick out. Anymore is just redundant weight, since these have a 22mm nose.

Here are the crusty OEM lug bolts I've been putting up with for a while. I've wire wheeled them clean once before in the past.

Before just throwing the studs in there, I gave the spindle a good dousing of brake clean to remove any "junk" that might be in the threads, and followed up with a cleaning tap. This ensures the blue loctite properly does its thing.

And here is one wheel all buttoned up. Rinse and repeat three more times.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 pm

Dgi 07 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 am Love this. Almost like seeing a little back tattoo on a woman when you aren't expecting it.
When I walk by the car around ~20ft away from it, it's noticeable if you're looking at the side of the car. Makes me smile every time. :)

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 am

04.25.2020 | 144911
  • Installed 3rd Brake Light Delete
Having 2 3rd brake lights has been annoying me for a little while. I could live with it, but knew that at some point, I would install a delete kit. The Getty Design GT2 wing has a 3rd brake light on the decklid/wing assembly, as seen below:

I finally got that resolved with a turn key, delete plate from Bumper Plugs. Sent some money, and a color matched part Porsche part showed up at my door. Once I removed the 3rd brake light, I removed the electrical connector and preserved the ends of the wires with adhesive lined marine grade shrink tube. I did not want the connector bouncing and making noise back there, so some tesa tape was also used. If I ever need to reinstall the light, I can repin the wires and have the connect back on in a few minutes. The only OEM alternative to this is to replace the entire sheet metal panel between the decklid and rear glass, but this part is spot welded in. All in all, I'm very pleased with the quality and fit/finish of the part. What you would pay for the Porsche part and have it painted, the $200 is very reasonable, especially when compared to the cost of replacing that panel.

Before

After

​​​​​​​

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:49 am

Looks very nice. Bumperplugs is a great company. I have their painted rear bumperettes, plus actual bumper plugs for the front license plate holes. It is amazing how just a minor change like that can make a big difference.

As for my car, I have 2 similar issues to yours that are driving me crazy:
1. I need to replace my 3rd brake light. It is smoked (done by previous owner) and doesn't match the taillights and sidemarkers, plus it is regular bulbs (versus the LED taillights and sidemarkers), and the gasket on it is peeling away. I bought the new one about 4 years ago. It's still sitting on my workbench. A buddy (KC-Car-Guy in this forum) told me it is a bitch to get the new brake lights in since they are just a bit too large - requires soapy water and a lot of patience apparently.
2. My break calibers are faded to pink. Ugh. Not sure if I am going to do them myself or send them off. Just haven't thought about it, but it's got to be done now since I got flashy new wheels.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sat May 02, 2020 10:20 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:49 am Looks very nice. Bumperplugs is a great company. I have their painted rear bumperettes, plus actual bumper plugs for the front license plate holes. It is amazing how just a minor change like that can make a big difference.

As for my car, I have 2 similar issues to yours that are driving me crazy:
1. I need to replace my 3rd brake light. It is smoked (done by previous owner) and doesn't match the taillights and sidemarkers, plus it is regular bulbs (versus the LED taillights and sidemarkers), and the gasket on it is peeling away. I bought the new one about 4 years ago. It's still sitting on my workbench. A buddy (KC-Car-Guy in this forum) told me it is a bitch to get the new brake lights in since they are just a bit too large - requires soapy water and a lot of patience apparently.
2. My break calibers are faded to pink. Ugh. Not sure if I am going to do them myself or send them off. Just haven't thought about it, but it's got to be done now since I got flashy new wheels.

Yep, had their front bumper plugs before I had the bumper resprayed when I had the wing installed. Always a pleasure to work with. I would check the plastic parts for what's called flashing. As the mold used during the plastic injection process wears, the flashing becomes larger. This is the where plastic will start to extrude at the parting lines of the mold. File off any flashing to make life easier.

I've been meaning to have the calipers refinished in yellow and piston seals replaced. Too many house projects getting in the way. :x