That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post Reply
User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Beats me. Since we've had 2+N cars since the late 90s I've never opted for a rental.

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am

Ugh. Finally just got the cost of making it look nice again while it's there. Basically both sides need to be repainted to get all the dents, dings, and scratches assholes have put in it over the years. $4500 :cry:

User avatar
Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 1157
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am

Out of pocket?

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am

Kalashnikov wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am
Out of pocket?
Yeah that's not from the wreck. That's various and sundry "living around other assholes" stuff.

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 pm

gnat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am
Ugh. Finally just got the cost of making it look nice again while it's there. Basically both sides need to be repainted to get all the dents, dings, and scratches assholes have put in it over the years. $4500 :cry:
What year of car is it?
"Thoughts and Prayers"
"Work-Spread Virus, Go Home-Spread Virus, Stay Connected..."
"A Clear and Present Danger"

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:17 pm

2013

I know $8k-ish on such a car doesn't make financial sense, but I love the thing and hope to have it for at least another 6 years.

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm

gnat wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm
Damn. The initial appraisal came in significantly higher than expected at $6578.11. I know that is going up off the cuff as they are quoting using some reconditioned parts which I know Chris will tell them to get stuffed over and I need to go argue with them over trying to replace only 1 tire on an AWD system where the MFG says all 4 need to be replaced.
He's slow, but he's good! Just got a notice for a supplement appraisal and it has jumped to $11,581.99. Most of it is that he helped them figure out where to stuff their "reconditioned" parts, but he also is apparently getting them to replace the hood and other headlight too! So no mismatched looking headlights next year!

User avatar
32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Location: Kneebraska

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:54 pm

gnat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm
gnat wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm
Damn. The initial appraisal came in significantly higher than expected at $6578.11. I know that is going up off the cuff as they are quoting using some reconditioned parts which I know Chris will tell them to get stuffed over and I need to go argue with them over trying to replace only 1 tire on an AWD system where the MFG says all 4 need to be replaced.
He's slow, but he's good! Just got a notice for a supplement appraisal and it has jumped to $11,581.99. Most of it is that he helped them figure out where to stuff their "reconditioned" parts, but he also is apparently getting them to replace the hood and other headlight too! So no mismatched looking headlights next year!
So does Mr. Good AutoBody Man have an estimate on when it will be "complete and ready to get back to the rhythm of your life."?(Thanks to 5chn3ll for sharing that ridiculous line from his wife's Jeep repair outfit. A gift that just keeps on giving)
"Thoughts and Prayers"
"Work-Spread Virus, Go Home-Spread Virus, Stay Connected..."
"A Clear and Present Danger"

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:18 pm

You sound like my wife...

User avatar
gnat
Robot Taskmaster
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am
Location: If you knew, you'd move

Re: That'll buff out - 958 edition

Post by gnat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Holy crap! Between this event and the last, the insurance has paid out $31k for work on this P!g. Add in what I've put into it for mods and non-covered work and it's kissing $40k :shock:

After owning a 996 for almost 29 years you'd think I'd know better than to total reciepts :roll:

Post Reply