Air mass sensor error, Cayenne 4.2 Diesel

Shaohao

Air mass sensor error, Cayenne 4.2 Diesel

Post by Shaohao » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:34 am

Hello!
I have a 2017 Cayenne, and lately had an engine error while driving. The computer shows me an air mass sensor B error. Do I understand well, that this is about the flow meter on the passenger side?
I'm quite sure it is so I replaced the passenger side air mass sensor, but the error has appeared again.
Recently I have replaced all filters including air filters. Can a badly installed filter or a poor quality filter have an influence on the fact that this error occurs?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Air mass sensor error, Cayenne 4.2 Diesel

Post by gnat » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 am

Welcome. I'm jealous that you have a diesel S. I always hoped we'd get it in the US, but the diesel scandal killed any chance of that :( i love my 3.0 though :D

As far as your error, I've never seen that one on my 2013 3.0 (haven't seen many errors, it's been super reliable).

I would expect that a poorly installed filter could be a source, but it's also possible that it is an error that needs to be reset after repair. That's only going to be possible by someone with a PIWIS III though (e.g. a dealer or well equipped independent tech).

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Air mass sensor error, Cayenne 4.2 Diesel

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:44 am

Shaohao wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:34 am Hello!
I have a 2017 Cayenne, and lately had an engine error while driving. The computer shows me an air mass sensor B error. Do I understand well, that this is about the flow meter on the passenger side?
I'm quite sure it is so I replaced the passenger side air mass sensor, but the error has appeared again.
Recently I have replaced all filters including air filters. Can a badly installed filter or a poor quality filter have an influence on the fact that this error occurs?
Was the check engine light reset and the code deleted after you replaced the mass air flow sensor? If not, then you should try resetting the code first. As gnat said, you'll need a reset tool. I am not certain, but I believe you may be able to reset that error code with a regular code reader. I have the AL-619, and it works well with our 2006 Cayenne S. It won't do everything that the dealer's scan tool will do no a PIWIS, but it can do a lot. I'm fairly certain it would clear that code.

You can buy one from Amazon for $105: https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLink-A ... B07PQJTQN2

Here is a Youtube video of using it to reset a check engine light on a Carrera S:

If you could, please post up the actual error code number. That will help us troubleshoot. Is it P010B?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver