New Member Intros

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: New Member Intros

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:50 am

Texun911 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:28 pm Hey guys, I have been lurking for quite a while and decided that the time has come to make a post. I am currently researching the 996 platform and gathering information that may persuade me into purchasing a nice C2. I am not new to racing, high performance cars or anything of the sort. As a matter of fact I have built and raced cars for over 25 years and I am also a Technician who is very particular and passionate about my work. I currently work for GM but I have my roots in Mercedes Benz as well as Performance shops that cater to exotics in the Austin, TX area. So I am very much motivated by the technical aspects of my work and the hobby.

I have to say that I really like the 996, I always have. I have driven a few Porsches and I know the balance and driving experience are very pleasant, thats not so much my concern. The REAL concern lies with my inability to leave well enough alone and how that will play out in my 996 ownership. 320hp out of a naturally aspirated 3.8L flat 6 is respectable, but I think I may start wanting more. Right off the bat I noticed that the aftermarket parts availability and support are just a fraction of what the US and Japanese market is. I also do not see as much (if any) talk about cylinder head data, camshaft specs, cross sectional area, DCR/SCR, etc. etc. or tuning information. It seems that the general consensus I read when searching is that Porsche has made the engine as best as it can be and further output is marginal or simply out of most owners pricing comfort zone given the return. The other thing I noticed is that when someone is interested in modifying a Carrera, they are often pointed towards a GT3 or Turbo model. That alone is off putting enough to anyone which I personally do not agree with. I think starting with something you personally like and learning from the changes is something that is very fulfilling. So i'd appreciate if we can just skip the "trade up" debates. I am here to learn and possibly contribute in the long run. Considering I can do most of my own work and I am very familiar with what it takes, along with untold amounts invested in tools, this might be one of my most interesting vehicles. Im looking forward to it.

By the way, this group looks like the best group on the net for these cars. No question. Yall should be pretty proud of that. ;)
Welcome. Glad you joined. Keep us updated on your search. BTW Flattery will get you every where here! :lol:
Never gonna make you cry...

Texun911

Post by Texun911 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:51 am

It’s true! You guys seem to keep it together more than the other sites I’ve read on. Says a lot

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 am

Texun911 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:51 am It’s true! You guys seem to keep it together more than the other sites I’ve read on. Says a lot
Amazing what can happen when people don't get bent out of shape when they are told they aren't perfect :lol:

Welcome and enjoy. Just don't bother trying to understand why Frunk thinks he's funny. It's the great mystery of our time.

Texun911

Post by Texun911 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 am

Is that a golden IMS bearing? haha!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am

Texun911 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 am Is that a golden IMS bearing? haha!
It's real and it's FABULOUS! :lol:

I have an 01 so expected it to be a single row and was going to have it replaced with The Solution, but it turned out to be a dual* just a few months before the dual row Solution was made available :roll: So I commemorated it.

* Had I know, it would still be in the engine, but such is life.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am

Agreed - I wish I'd just left my dual-row in situ, but my indie at the time was not sophisticated enough to know which bearing was in the car until the old one came out.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Jetblast

Post by Jetblast » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi,
New to this site.
Longed for a Porsche since most of you were not even born. Prices go up faster then I can put money aside for that. I really liked the 1980's model but market value makes it unattainable. :o I figured that by next spring I could afford a 996.
I would love a 4 to drive all year up North here in Canada but I think it would be better to have a 2 that is more fun during the good months. Open to your comments on that.
I always wanted a yellow one but I don't like the black interior. Is there any yellow with a tan interior? I am starting to consider a navy blue one with a tan interior.
I want a Cabriolet to enjoy the short summer we have. Do they all come with dynamic roll bars? That would be a must to go lapping at the neighboring track.
Hope to be able to show proof of ownership in the next few months...
Cheers! :D

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm

You'll hear a lot about bore scoring - which may or may not be sufficient to keep you from driving a 996 year-round.

Welcome aboard!

Since you're thinking about a cabriolet, shop during winter if you can. Winter is a terrible time to try to sell a convertible, but it can be a great time to buy one.

As far as availability of different interior colors - unlike previous generations, there were a LOT of 996 ordered as lease vehicles...so you're going to find a whole lot of 996 inventory with black or Arctic Silver paint w/ black interiors.

996 cabs should all be equipped with pop-up roll-bars and you should pass the modified "broomstick" test with the hoops in the down (i.e. not in danger of dying) position...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Hey Jetblast. Welcome to the site - and soon I hope to welcome you to the Madness.

You should start a thread for your official search. If you give us a radius from a major Canadian city we may actually be of some sort of service to you :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Jetblast wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm Hi,
New to this site.
Longed for a Porsche since most of you were not even born. Prices go up faster then I can put money aside for that. I really liked the 1980's model but market value makes it unattainable. :o I figured that by next spring I could afford a 996.
I would love a 4 to drive all year up North here in Canada but I think it would be better to have a 2 that is more fun during the good months. Open to your comments on that.
I always wanted a yellow one but I don't like the black interior. Is there any yellow with a tan interior? I am starting to consider a navy blue one with a tan interior.
I want a Cabriolet to enjoy the short summer we have. Do they all come with dynamic roll bars? That would be a must to go lapping at the neighboring track.
Hope to be able to show proof of ownership in the next few months...
Cheers! :D
Great another Mature owner to be! Welcome! I can use the support keeping all these youngsters in line.
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...