Anyone shipped a car lately?

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Anyone shipped a car lately?

Post by theprf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks for the Google Voice trick, that's what I am using for now.

I have a quote from Reliable Carriers for $1215. Allegedly I should get a 10% discount because I have insurance through Hagerty and it's not clear if this is with the discount or now. I need to call to find out.

I tried the Intercity Lines online quote form - but it's broken :). Returns an SQL error. They need a better database developer.... I sent an email to them with the same info as their quote form demands. They are based here in MA, and I do like to "buy local".

I have a quote from autotransportdirect.com who is a broker for $1120 broken down into a $200 broker fee and the rest due to the driver on delivery. I think that the extra $95 to go with reliable carriers would be worth it so this one is likely out. I suspect all other brokers will be similar.

These are all for enclosed shipping, not that I am concerned about the car getting dirty. I don't think it will like the approach and departure angles of the open car hauler trailers.

@Dr_Strangelove (whew!), the last car I had shipped was my '78 280Z. It was shipped via "top load open trailer". The driver was quite nice, the car arrived promptly without any visible damage, however he managed to jam the gas pedal to the floor and sat in the car with the engine zinging off the rev limiter for *minutes* before he turned off the key. Later I found a cracked head which had not shown up in my pre-purchase inspection and I believe that the head cracked during this abuse.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am

theprf wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am Thanks for the Google Voice trick, that's what I am using for now.

I have a quote from Reliable Carriers for $1215. Allegedly I should get a 10% discount because I have insurance through Hagerty and it's not clear if this is with the discount or now. I need to call to find out.

I tried the Intercity Lines online quote form - but it's broken :). Returns an SQL error. They need a better database developer.... I sent an email to them with the same info as their quote form demands. They are based here in MA, and I do like to "buy local".

I have a quote from autotransportdirect.com who is a broker for $1120 broken down into a $200 broker fee and the rest due to the driver on delivery. I think that the extra $95 to go with reliable carriers would be worth it so this one is likely out. I suspect all other brokers will be similar.

These are all for enclosed shipping, not that I am concerned about the car getting dirty. I don't think it will like the approach and departure angles of the open car hauler trailers.

@Dr_Strangelove (whew!), the last car I had shipped was my '78 280Z. It was shipped via "top load open trailer". The driver was quite nice, the car arrived promptly without any visible damage, however he managed to jam the gas pedal to the floor and sat in the car with the engine zinging off the rev limiter for *minutes* before he turned off the key. Later I found a cracked head which had not shown up in my pre-purchase inspection and I believe that the head cracked during this abuse.
I think/hope you will be pleased with Reliable. They seemed like a professional outfit to me.
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf

Post by theprf » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 am

I've hired Reliable for the shipping. Further bulletins as events warrant.

theprf

Post by theprf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:39 am

Reliable has already picked up the car - less than 24h after I bought the service. The truck driver told the seller/shipper that he'd be up here Monday, the truck is going to Florida first..

theprf

Post by theprf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am

Good heavens the driver just called and will be here tomorrow by noon!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 am

theprf wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am Good heavens the driver just called and will be here tomorrow by noon!
You sure he isn't driving the Turbo and just renting a truck to put it of for the last few miles to drop it off to you? :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:09 am

gnat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 am
theprf wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am Good heavens the driver just called and will be here tomorrow by noon!
You sure he isn't driving the Turbo and just renting a truck to put it of for the last few miles to drop it off to you? :lol:
I forgot to mention that part of the service to theprf...

theprf

Post by theprf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:29 am

He said he was also delivering a 1976 Maserati to Cambridge, so that must be on the Turbo's roof rack...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm

I only use burner phones for hookers and blow...
theprf wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am Thanks for the Google Voice trick, that's what I am using for now.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm I only use burner phones for hookers and blow...
Wait...did you just say that out loud!!??