Tiptronic upgrade?

hultman

Tiptronic upgrade?

Post by hultman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 am

My tiptronic reminds me of a 1950's Chevy two speed automatic transmission. Shifting is sluggish and response is slow.

Can anyone suggest possible upgrades?

(Background: I also have tiptronic on my '03 Cayenne, which I love. Thus the disappointment in the 996.)

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Tiptronic upgrade?

Post by DBJoe996 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 am

When was the last time it was serviced? How is it when you shift manually? Do you have a sport mode?

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:11 am

There is a company in Texas that can do Tip rebuilds / upgrades. I’ll have to look it up and post the name. The Tip in my 99 Carrera is the best auto of any car that I’ve owned. I use manual mode 99% of the time because Porsche set it up to up shift at about 2000 rpm
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

David993S

Post by David993S » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:25 am

A Tip upgrade is available in the form of reprogramming the TCU. It's fairly expensive, about $800 plus labor.
Are you sure your Tip is working properly? Are you driving it in "Auto" instead of "Manual"? My '02 Tip, in the "manual" mode performs quite well. It's my track car and keeps up with manual 996's with no problem. Admittedly, when in "automatic" mode it is pretty sluggish. Just don't drive it in auto.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:19 pm

What year is yours? In 2000 they added a feature where you could instantly engage manual mode just by hitting one of the buttons. You did not have to shift the lever into manual mode. So you could instantly drop down two gears, nail it, upshift manually, etc. However after about 8 seconds of inactivity, it would go back to the default automatic setting. This made it very easy to leave the car in automode and go into manual at will...such as approaching an intersection and dropping down a gear just to get the revs up. I do not think the 98 and 99 tips had this. With those you had to intentionally shift the lever into manual before the buttons became activated.

Also, the tiptronic is tracking what you do, how you drive. If will become more agressive is you drive that way...it will be more passive if you are passive. For fuel reasons, it starts off in second gear...but you can start in first by just toggling into it. Then shift to second at your own choosing and then let the trans revert to auto. When I had my tips I found this the most satisfying way to drive them on the street. I do the same in my 8 speed ZF box in my Alfa Giulia...in automatic mode, approaching an intersection, use the paddles to drop down a couple of gears and get the engine and trans into a more instantly responsive setting...then let the trans return to auto.

The major reason I didn't go for a tip this time out was because I didn't want to go through the expense of having to do a rebuild on one with 100k miles on it. Other wise I found them great fun to drive and easy to be agressive in.

hultman

Post by hultman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks guys!! Really appreciate the input.

For the record, I love the very idea of auto shifting, and I generally don't drive in anything but manual mode.

The problem is simple...The transmission is slow and mushy. I have other auto or auto/manual transmissions, and the 996 Tiptroncic is by far the worst.

I bought the car from a friend's estate, so I don't know when it was last serviced. I did the the IMS bearing replaced recently, but didn't have the tranny serviced. When I do, is there an additive I should be adding? Or is there an ECU upgrade?

Thanks again guys!!

Jim

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 am

Well obviously the place to start is to have a full service done on the transmission, new ATF fluid and filter. If you have it done at a Porsche dealer, you can also have them re-flash the TCU, probably with the latest and greatest software. Then see if there is any difference. Doing nothing will result in no change. Or are you just complaining and plan on doing nothing to make a difference?

Here is an upgrade called a Sprint Booster - https://www.renntech.org/topic/54321-ho ... ent-308038

hultman

Post by hultman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 am Doing nothing will result in no change. Or are you just complaining and plan on doing nothing to make a difference?

Here is an upgrade called a Sprint Booster - https://www.renntech.org/topic/54321-ho ... ent-308038
Wow, great link! Thanks!

And no, I don't plan on just complaining and doing nothing. Hence my post asking for advice. :-)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 am

You'll get used to the snarky verbal abuse. ;)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:42 am

Einsteiger wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 am You'll get used to the snarky verbal abuse. ;)
It all comes from love.
Never gonna make you cry...